It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

upperlimits HB User
Is there a test for Hashimoto's Encephalopathy

I understand that this is rare, but having symptoms of MS and MG and i have Hashimotos. Maybe it could be this. Going to Neuro on the 8. I saw my eye dr on sat and he told me i have 4 nerve palsy, probly since birth. I had a mini stroke last Sat. Some of the symptoms fit....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Is there a test for Hashimoto's Encephalopathy

Hashi's Encephalopathy is considered rare, but how many have it and are misdiagnosed do to inadequate care? Some of the most common symptoms of Hashimoto's Encephalopathy include:

disorientation
psychosis
tremors
concentration and memory problems
jerks in the muscles and lack of coordination
headaches
partial paralysis on the right side
speech problems (Can be just pauses, stuttering, loss of thought in mid-sentence)

Sometimes, patients are mistakenly diagnosed as having had a stroke, early onset maternal dementia, or having Alzeimer's.

Guaranteed risk factors:
1) Hashimoto's antibodies levels will be high (>1000 but there are exceptions where TGAb or ANA are high instead)
2) Diagnosed case Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but TSH levels may also be normal.
3) Some Graves Disease patients have developed this disorder as well.

The tests for it are:
1) Anitbody levels... >1000 in TPOAb
2) Neurological symptoms: Migraines, vision issues
3) Mildly increased clean spinal fluid pressure, with fluid only showing signs of antibody attack of your milan. If the pressure is increased and oglimeric bands are present.. then there is a neuropathy at work, WHAT? This is where process of elimination comes into play.
4) MRI and additional bloodwork must be done to rule out the MS lesions
5) Then you have to rule out: MS, Lupus, Sarcadosis, psuedo tumor cerebri and various other disorders.
6) Test EEG brain function and response.. then do a trial steriodal run for HE. Retest the brain function and see if there is improvement. Once this is done and improvement is noted you can determine HE.

It is easier to blame something else. But I will be unwilling to accept a diagnosis of MS unless he can prove it is not HE. My mother is showing cognetive issues. Her mother had early onset maternal dementia. It is too coincidental that all this thyroid mess corresponds to my migraines and cognetive issues as well. Getting an MD that will test you and take you seriously.. well that is another issue. One similar to the hunt for a good thyroid MD.

Good luck to you if you feel you must persue this... I went in for diagnosis and treatment of migraines with visual disturbances that corresponded to hormonal fluxes and thyroid flares. The neuro was just going to blame my BCs and classic migraines. My neuro-opthamologist determined something was putting pressure on my optic nerve and causing it to atrophy. HE and psuedotumor cerebri were his guesses. My lumbar puncture ruled out Psuedotumor cerebri. Now I have to confirm HE. What fun!

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

upperlimits HB User

Thanks for all the info. Good luck to you as well. This is a long road!!! I thought i read somewhere you were from StL. I lived there for 8 years, Webster Grove. Is there a good eye neuro there? I only live 2 hours from StL. If you do not live in StL, sorry wrong person!!
Thanks,
Ang

I would think i would have a greater chance of having HE over MS due to my ANA levels of 25000 and TPOab levels of 860. I have the vision, headaches and muscle weakness speach problems but i have paralysis on the LEFT side.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Nope. I am a Navy Brat. Born and raised in Europe with a stop in CA. I landed in Mississippi, then moved to Tennessee. We are hoping to be in TN to stay.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread