It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
(female)

funkadelica HB User
Looks like I may have PCOS to go along with the Hypo

I had kind of an epiphany yesterday. I was feeling all cranky about how messed up my periods have gotten. They used to be very light and not at all painful, and since getting them back after Depo-Provera 2 years ago, they are heavy and hurt like hell. They aren't at all regular, and possibly even getting LESS regular, (it was almost 60 days between them this time), but I had chalked it up to being hypo.

Well it occurred to me last night that I had been holding pretty steady at the high end of "normal" (lab normal) on my TSH for all the years that I've been being tested by dumb doctors, and never had menstrual problems before, so why would I have problems now if my thyroid hadn't gotten measurably worse? So I did some searching, and more searching and LOTS of reading and found out that polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism can go hand in had in a lot of women, and that weight gain from being hypo can set you up for insulin resistance, which can set off PCOS... which has a lot of symptoms in common with hypo. And that Depo is the DEVIL.

So I asked my endo about it today, and when I emphatically told her that my cycle was almost 60 days last time, and that I still have the same level of acne as when I was a teen (which is not much at all, probably 10 zits a month) she said those are DEFINITELY not normal and that PCOS is a real possibility.

So she started me on Metformin (which, PCOS or not, I know will help since I can't imagine how I wouldn't have insulin resistance!) and I'm going to be getting some labs to check things further in a few weeks.

And a bit o' good(ish) news - my TSH came down from 4.7 to 2.37 on just 50mcg of Levoxyl. I still don't feel much better, but I know I have a way to go yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
(female)

applepip HB User
Re: Looks like I may have PCOS to go along with the Hypo

Hi there i asked my Gp for a print out of my test results for my thyroid thinking they would be from july 2007 when i was diagnosed underactive but there was a reading for nov 2004 that was 3.4 which i was'nt told about and nothink was said or done, to me this was in my opinion still to high a level then when they diagnosed and put me on thyroxine in 2007 when i was at 4.49 and i had been complaining that my periods were all out and now they are 10 days apart and heavy which drain me, a month ago i insisted my meds went up from 50 to 75mcgs of thyroxin and now my TSH is 2.69 that is better but could still be lower in my opinion i am due to be monitored by a thyroid register, so i understand where your coming from as you have enough with thyroid and all its complaints it brings with it we dont need doctors missing the important bits and making us suffer more than we have to do we, i am pleased your TSH has come down thogh i'm waiting with antisipation to see where i go from here take care love Applepip

Last edited by applepip; 04-10-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Closed Thread