It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

harleychick HB User
dr. not taking me seriously

I went to the dr. on April 1st to have thyroid blood work done. I had TSH and freet3 and freet4 done. They did those by my request. I had a long list of symptoms that I have had been feeling for years and she basically checked them all off as they could be from something else. She humored me and did a "check" on my thyroid anyways. Well here is the kicker...it is April 11th and I still can't get the results back. I have called several times and don't get any answers. I called yesterday and they couldn't find my file....WHAT???!!!! I feel like garbage all the time and they don't care. I know I need to find a new dr. Defiantly going to do that. That goes without saying. The thing is I went thru this about 5 years ago. I went to 4 different dr.'s until they finally ran the right tests and I was dx with hypo. But do to insurance changes I had to change dr.'s and this is where I am today. Why do I have to convince this new dr. I have hypo when another dr. already says I have it? Sorry this is a long rant...I am about to call them one more time and then I will go to their office and raise a stink...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: dr. not taking me seriously

Call the doctors' office and tell them you are coming in for your records/lab results. They have to give them to you! You'll have to sign a release for them but by law they must give them to you. Then post your numbers here, many people will advise once they are read. Good luck!!
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on kindspirit. Also if you have a diagnosis from another MD that you are hypoT and on meds.. the new MD should go with it or refer you to an Endo. Look on the Armour physician locator and see if any of the MDs are on your plan. Changing insurance stinks, hopefully you can find a good MD that will see you. Make sure you get a copy of your records for the MD that diagnosed you as well as the labs from your current MD. If you have the physician summary in hand the new MD will be less likely to quibble. Post your new labs and ranges when you get them and we will be able to tell you where you are in range and how normal versus optimal it is.

MG

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It is possible they indeed misplaced your file. Don't automatically assume they are being uncooperative; they might just be incompetent. Either way... never a good way to do business and probably worth shopping for a new provider.

If they absolutely can't come up with your results, insist they call the lab to provide a new copy. (The lab's policy may be that they don't deal directly with patients.) Don't just have the tests repeated, because your insurer may have an issue about paying twice for the same tests. If they must be repeated, make sure the MD's office foots the bill.

If the distance isn't too far, and if you have the time, I agree that going to the office is likely to get you better results than just phoning.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

harleychick HB User

I got hold of a vey rude nurse this morning and <<big surprise>> my labs are normal except my Vit. D levels are low. Could it be that I am just low in this and my thyroid is fine?They have me so confused. I will have to get my labs monday because they are closed now. They close early on fridays. I am switching dr.s. I do hair and one of my clients is a dr. and I have spoken to him before about my situation so I think he may be more willing to listen to me. I will get my labs and post them and see if you can figure them out. I have an appt. with the new dr. next wed.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

Hi Harleygrl ~ i would call Dr's office saying you want to pick up your records, what DAY/time would be best?? I'd do this even if there WAS a $15 copies fee,,, Your client who happens to be a Doc sounds like a GOOD thing

The problem with NORMAL is that there's often room for improvement (lower/HIGHER) while still within normal ranges. Personally, with a TSH of 4.73, which is 4 X's my normal, that's what I heard from my Doc also. Since this was 2 weeks after one non-cancerous Thy lobe was removed, my 3.5 months of HypoH*** began!

In slightly more than 2 years of my Thy care, I've seen FOUR doctors. Some of them just DON'T listen. But since Thy meds is something I'll be on for the rest of my life, I felt it was something *I* should have say on.

Let us know
Sue

Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
(female)

harleychick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
Hi Harleygrl ~ i would call Dr's office saying you want to pick up your records, what DAY/time would be best?? I'd do this even if there WAS a $15 copies fee,,, Your client who happens to be a Doc sounds like a GOOD thing

The problem with NORMAL is that there's often room for improvement (lower/HIGHER) while still within normal ranges. Personally, with a TSH of 4.73, which is 4 X's my normal, that's what I heard from my Doc also. Since this was 2 weeks after one non-cancerous Thy lobe was removed, my 3.5 months of HypoH*** began!

In slightly more than 2 years of my Thy care, I've seen FOUR doctors. Some of them just DON'T listen. But since Thy meds is something I'll be on for the rest of my life, I felt it was something *I* should have say on.

Let us know
Sue

Thanks Sue.... I will be picking them up monday and after all I have been put thru with them "losing" my file and making me wait almost 2 weeks for my results they will not be charging me for a copy. If they ask why I need it I will let them know I intend to have a second opinion with a dr. This one I have been seeing come to find out is a Nurse Pract. I want to see a full fledged DOCTOR....I go on wednesday and am very excited. This dr. also practicing using some natural meds so am wondering if he does Armour?

Closed Thread