It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

knittygirl14 HB User
When did you know?

Hi everyone,
I just signed up here. I have been reading the boards for a few days. I saw my doctor with a lot of symptoms, and I thought at first it could be a blood sugar problem, because a lot of the symptoms are the same. But she checked my sugar in the office and said it was fine. I had a different doctor last year because I lived in California, and moved to NY this year, and she tested me for thyroid hormones, I believe TSH, T3 and T4 and they came back within normal levels. But lately I have been feeling terrible!

I guess I am just wondering what symptoms or when it got to the point for everyone when you knew you had to insist on further testing with your doctor, or when you were pretty sure it had to do with your thyroid.

I have had a lot of different doctors over the past few years because I have moved a lot, and they all blow off each symptom like it is independent of the others. I have been told I have Raynoud's syndrome, orthostatic hypotension, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, bad circulation, and that it's just my medication side effects. I am now waiting for new blood work to come back on Monday, but I'm feeling very frustrated. I am so sick of people telling me "You're just depressed." I know my body!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

ssaunders95 HB User
Re: When did you know?

My symptoms gradually worsened over a period of 6 months. It started with muscle spasms, general soreness, and fatigue. Then the muscle stiffness with spasms, dry skin, nails breaking, lightheadness, and naps needed everday at 2 pm. I finally called my mom crying one day because my body hurt so bad and I was so sleepy! She said,' Go to the doc, I know you are hypo". She is too. So I went and they confirmed it through blood test and put me on Synthroid. This is my third month of it and I am starting to feel better. My skin is starting to be less dry, I don't take naps everday (somedays), I dont cry all the time anymore. I still fight the spasms and stiffness, numbness and tingling, eye tics and mild fatigue. But it does get better. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

knittygirl14 HB User

Yeah, I feel like the gradualness of it and the waiting (for the test results!) are the hardest part. It's so hard to convince anyone that something is wrong. When I was in for my appointment, my doctor noticed how cold my hands were, and then was quick to point out, "but that has nothing to do with your other symptoms. It can be very painful and inconvenient, but that's not related. It's Raynaud's." what the ****? It makes me wonder what she's going to do when she gets the results back. Maybe I should just take them to another doctor. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
The other thing is, I have symptoms of both hypo and hyper, so it was so confusing to me I wasn't really sure what it was or what they should be testing for. I mean, I've been getting worse and worse muscle spasms and cramps but I didn't know that was part of it at all.

Last edited by knittygirl14; 04-11-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

If you have not had thyroid antibody testing done then you need to get that done. Since you say you have symptoms of both hypo and hyper you may have antibodies which would indicate that you could have Hashi's. Hashi's is the leading cause of Hypo-T and your levels can remain normal for years while symptoms can make you feel awful.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

mindyz HB User

So if she does have Hash...then your bloods wont show that? Cause I also have sx of both and just had a blood test today...I dont think shes running Hash anitbodies.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yes, often a person can have many symptoms but bloodwork will be "normal" or what the drs call normal. Antibodies can be present for months or even years before the TSH and even t3 abd t4 will show it and all this while there are symptoms, sometimes vague sometimes very pronounced. Hashi's can cause one to bounce back and forth between hypo and hyper leaving you feel exhausted and frustrated and just plain sick while the drs say...your normal.
If antibodies are present some drs will start treatment which can help greatly with the symptoms. Waiting till the TSH is out of the drs range and he/she says "oh you have a problem" can cause many years of feeling poorly.
Get the antibodies checked and if they are present find a dr that will treat now if yours won't.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

Quote:
tested me for thyroid hormones, I believe TSH, T3 and T4 and they came back within normal levels.
(if I ever write a Thyroid book it'll be titled ~>>) The Problem With NORMAL !!!

The prob is while your labs may fall within normal levels: (making an UNinformed Doc blow you off)

1) They don't *know* what is normal for YOU!
and
2) there is OFTEN room for IMPROVEMENT within those N O R M A L ranges!

I heard NORMAL when my TSH was 4.73! Had my (then) primecare-Dr bothered to LOOK at labs from 5 months prior, PERHAPS the increase of 4 times MY normal tsh would of been a er to HER!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
(female)

knittygirl14 HB User

Yeah, I am bringing my previous labs with me to my next appointment. If my doctor blows me off, I am going to say, Okay, see ya! I just found out my boss at my new job takes something for her thyroid (she wasn't specific) and she really likes her doc, so at least I have an option if I need to go somewhere else... Plus it helps that she is really understanding about me missing work already.
At least someone gets it!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
(female)

knittygirl14 HB User

I could not get my doctor to return my calls today. I feel worse than ever. The nurse said my labs "looked normal." I'm not even sure it's a thyroid thing now because I remembered this weird rash I had a few months ago and it could be lyme disease? I don't know! You know why? Because I can't get my doctor to return my calls!

Closed Thread