It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Need your expert knowledge for FNA results

I have a friend who had a FNA for a 3 cm nodule and the Doctor's nurse calls her and says "you have to have your thyroid out". The Doctor cannot see her for 3 weeks and will not discuss her results over the phone.......I feel so sorry for her.....she does not have computer access at this time.

She had a terrible time with the FNA, got nauseated and faint and her blood pressure dropped real low......they had to keep her until she felt well enough to leave. She has normal thyroid labs, no antibodies were tested and she has a single nodule that looks cystic on ultrasound.

So I told her to have them fax the results of her FNA to her..........this is what it says:

Vallecular epithilial cells with nuclear inclusions. Cellularity is suspicious of a follicular neoplasm.......recommmend frozen section of nodule is recommended.
Nuclear grooves are noted. Atypical cells.....

Can I get some opinions on this please?

Thanks, Oleander

Old 04-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Need your expert knowledge for FNA results

If they think it's a follicular neoplasm, then the only way to know if it's cancer or not is to remove it----to see if it's follicular cancer, they have to see if it's encapsulated or not, if it's not, it's cancerous---but the only way to know is removal.

Basically, it seems like one of those "suspicious" fna's to my very unexpert non medical mind.

What a callous doctor----she should go pick up her records/report, and find the best surgeon she can find.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

This Doc is a real jerk.......he is an Arizona Endo....I will find out who he is.

Thanks for the response Reece......She needs to do the frozen section just to be on the safe side.....She just doesn't feel good either and this Doc's behavior has not helped.

Oleander

Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

From the names and looking at the clinical biology diagnosis criteria. More key words posted point to a malignant cyst than benign one. I am not an expert, but the charts say removal and biopsy recommended. I think it is the MD playing it smart and erring on the side of caution. Arer the talking total or partial thyroidectomy? My mom had a similar report but it was one dead lobe and a partial thyroidectomy was all she needed.

Wish your friend well for me. And stress how treatable thyroid cancer is and how rare.. it may have just been a suspicious grab.

MG

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much..........I will be talking to her this evening.......

As always you guys are the BEST.

Oleander

Closed Thread