It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
I'm soooo PO'd at my dr right now I could SCREAM... Rant....

I feel like just giving up. I don't know what else to do. Or where else to turn to. I feel like death. I wish every day that I wouldn't wake up because once I do the pain and horrible symptoms of what is going on with my body begin until I fall asleep the next night. And this is no way to live a productive, meaningfull life. It just plain SUX!!!!

I don't even know where to begin. My numbers are all over the place. My ferritin is at an 8, my Cortisol seems low, my thyroid numbers are all wacked out, and my symptoms are something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. I literally have no energy and I feel like I will just pass out and die at any moment. I'm down one minute then up the next. I snap at everyone have no patience.... ETC......................

I put a call into my dr's office a couple days ago about my lab results and also about possibly changing my meds. Well I get a call back from the nurse saying that the dr doesn't want to do anything until my next dr's visit. BUT that visit isn't until the end of MAY!!!!! Ugggg................. I feel like he doesn't want to be bothered with me. I know it is my option to fire him and find a new one. But I just don't know if I even have the strength to start all over from scratch again..

I just want to crawl under a rock and forget it all. I am so upset with my dr. I mean he should atleast be compasionate enough to do something. I just hate the fact that of course they aren't the ones suffering and don't feel the pain so what do they care. And he is SO busy all of the time that he basically has no clue who I am even. I am sure I am just another number to him or another dollar in his pocket. Grrrr...

Ok done ranting for now. I just want the symptoms to stop and the pain to stop. If I gain one more flippin pound I am gonna burst I swear! My hands are so swollen they feel like sausages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: I'm soooo PO'd at my dr right now I could SCREAM... Rant....

Sorry you are feeling so terrible, but you can never, never give up. An 8 Ferritin will make you feel as you are describing. As you already know, you need to bring that number up and you will feel at least ~half way normal~ again. Keep doing all that you can to get your iron numbers within a good range. Visit the anemia board for support too. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool (((hugs)))

Hi katkat - we're almost NEIGHBORS in So. Calif

When I was discusted with my primecare-Doc, I called my medical groups local office and asked for HELP. (it's good to do this when you're in the PITTTS as you are now) - (((katkat))) They gave me names of two NEW primaryDr's. The first was another snoozer, but the second I've kept as my Doc for more than 18 months. We've had our UPs & downs but he's pretty much seen me through.

Trust me, I understand being beyond exhaustion & wanting to GIVE up I'd get my records from the dr who doesn't CARE, and go shopping for a new one. You live in THE mecca of medical professionals !

Almost a year ago, I wasn't sure if my then NEW Doc was gonna continue to h-e-l-p me. (hypo due to non-cancerous Thy lobe removal) Since we're HMO, i made my mind that if I had to pay OUT-of-POCKET for Thy-Dr, I would! So far, so good and no need to do OUT-of-POCKET, but I would for me!!!

Keep putting one foot in front of the other & you'll GET there ONE s-t-e-p at a time , , ,

Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
(female)

funkadelica HB User

Is your doctor working for Beaver Medical? :P Your story certainly sounds like the runaround that my family has gotten from them.

I used to live about 20 miles from where you live and found that I couldn't get a doctor in a 40 mile radius to listen to me and help me at all. I finally moved to Louisville, KY and found a great Endo who didn't refuse me because I didn't have a referral or insurance (unheard of in Cali, from what I saw!) and she actually listens to me and treats my issues.

I'm not sure of your insurance situation, but hopefully you can find a new doctor that can actually treat what's wrong with you.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I have a few choice things to say about doctors over there that I'll keep from posting here.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

KatKatdd, Hang in there! I know it's frustrating! I am hypothyroid too. It makes me feel like......!! You know! Up and down all the time. Just know you are not alone. I could swear my thyroid was wacked out again and I had the doc draw blood and check again this past week. Turns out my levels are just perfect. So now I don't know what the heck to do. I know I still feel rotten. I am blaming mine on perimenopause. I am 43 and have had symptoms for a year or so now. I know I am in for a bumpy ride. UGH! I am not sure your age but sometimes this time in life really aggravates our symptoms. Hang in there ok!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Call and request a walk in. Tell them that your symptoms have amplified and you can not wait til May. With the low cortisol you need a steriod supplement.. that will make a difference. DHEA otc supplement may give you a temporary boost. You need ferrous fumerate supplementation. Don't give up. Do all you can with your diet and supplementation. Keep on the MD asking for cancellation and an early push in.

Good luck.

MG

Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Ok will do! I know I just don't feel that I can wait until the end of May. So I will give his office a call on Monday morning and ask for a walk in.

I was also wondering about maybe perimenopause I will be 38 this August.. But according to my labs my hormones are ok!! But we all know how that goes. LOL.

NOOO Beaver for me! I did have Beaver and got nothing but the run around from them also. Went to the endo dr there and he basically laughed about the symptoms I was having but then turned around and said he wanted me to do the RAI treatment.. Glad I left there. I am at Loma Linda now. My dr is ok I so far but he just seems to me to have SO many patients that he doesn't seem to have time for everyone. Very frustrating.

I took my daughter this morning to get her braces put on and that took from about 9 this morning until noon and by the time I got home I was just exhausted... This is just crazy! My oldest wants to BBQ for dinner and I feel like I have already been BBQ'd myself.. HA...

I do have a question about an iron supplement I got though. It says it is 65mg Equvalent to 325mg Ferrous Sulfate. Is that the right kind to be taking???

Old 04-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

What is the exact iron formula listed in the ingredients? The sulfate tends to have stomach upset side effects. Carbonate and sulfate do not have the absorption rate of the oxalates or fumerates. As a result you are looking at taking a lot more and flushing all that excess out. Expect black poop and constipation minimum with the quantity of carbonates and sulfates you would have to take. The other you should be able to take a quarter the amount of sulfate and get the same absorption.

MG

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Hurmmm...

Not sure what I need to be looking for but all I do see is that is says 65mg Iron. And it has Ferrous Sulfate as #1 ingredient.

I do have another kind also and it says 27mg from 86mg of Ferrous Fumarate. Maybe I will just take that one becasue of the stomach issues also.

Do you think that is enough though to just take that one once a day to bring up my Ferritin levels???

Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

When people are really low they tend to take 350 mg 3-4x a day. This is the sulfate and carbonate varieties. The equivalent amount of Ferrous fumarate would be a thrid of that. So 116 mg to every 350 mg.

So I would take the one with Fumarate and the other for now. See how that tummy and digestive track do. If constipation and issues arise. Double the fumarate dose instead. It should help.. I do not know if it will be enough given how low you actually were.

MG

Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Ok.. I will try that for now. So it's ok to take them together then at the same time?? Cuz that is what I just did.. I guess I should of asked 1st. But I am assuming it is ok since my numbers were so low and considering what some people take of iron.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You should be fine. I do not think you need to worry. Just keep an eye out for the side effects. And make a follow up for the iron in about 4 - 6 weeks. This way you can see how things are improving.

MG

Closed Thread