It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

lfr HB User
Taking the Armour plunge - Day One tomorrow!

OK, after two years of feeling lousy following surgery, I finally decided to switch from my Levoxyl and Cytomel to Armour. I picked up the prescription today and will start tomorrow. I'm hoping for a miracle! Anyhow, I'm just curious for those of you who made the switch, how quickly did you notice any change - whether it be good or bad? My dr. wants me to take it two times a day - when do you all that take two doses actually do it?

Thanks and wish me luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool K-E-W-L!!! Armour - Day One tomorrow!

Hi ljrfrm

I've been on Armour twice in the last 2+ years. VERY briefly in the beginning and continuosly for the last 11 months. (I, too, was taking a Levoxyl 150/25 mcg's Cytomel combo - but never felt RIGHT!) Both times, I honestly felt glimmers of the old me within 3-4 days and as time has gone on I feel stronger & more like mySELF (it's NICE to feel like again instead of a shell of a human!!)

I'm curious what dose of Levoxyl/Cytomel you were on? And what dose of Armour your Doc started you on?

Keep us posted
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: Taking the Armour plunge - Day One tomorrow!

Suey,
I was on 150 mg. of Levoxyl and 5 mg 2x day of Cytomel. My endo asked me if I wanted to start the Armour on the higher or lower side. His preference was higher, as he thought that would help me more. Not sure where this does fits in - but he prescribed 90 mg. 2x day.

That's promising that you had "glimpses" of your old self that quickly. I can't wait to see. Part of me is excited that I might finally feel better - and part of me is nervous that if this doesn't work I might be as good as I'll ever get.......which is a depressing thought.

Thanks for responding!

L

Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

Some people don't tolerate A LOT of Armour just b-o-o-m. I'd tell Endo to start me HIGH, but work yourself up to that amount gradully. As example: 1 grain (60 mg's) the first week, 1.5 grains (90) the 2nd week, and 2 grains the 3rd and so on.

I started on 3/4 grain last May and am up to 2 grains 10 months later. I kind of wish Doc [SIZE="1] (Osteopathic)[/SIZE] would of started me where my 150 mcg's of Levoxyl indicated, (rather than low) but oh w-e-l-l

The glimpses or glimmers meant that I could see & feel lil pieces of my old self breaking through "the shell" of an being I felt being on Levoxyl / Cytomel combo. do that make sense??

Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

lfr HB User

Yes, makes total sense! About one year ago I had some of those glimpses - but then it never lasted.

I've already filled the prescription and have the 90 mg. pills - so what's that, 1 1/2 grains I guess?? Hopefully I won't have any issues with not working up to where he started me. I've been very happy with his decisions so far so hopefully I'm not in for a rude awakening. It will be interesting to see.

Last edited by lfr; 04-12-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

talbet0729 HB User

ljrfrm,

I started Armour about a month ago and I felt better the day I started it. Many of my lingering symptoms have disappeared since starting. I still have some symptoms though, but I am hopeful that they will all go away once I'm optimized on the Armour.

I had been on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine for 6 months before the switch and had hardly noticed a difference in my symptoms. The Armour has helped so much.

Good luck on the switch!

Closed Thread