It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

funkadelica HB User
Anyone have Keratosis Pilaris with their hypo?

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from keratosis pilaris and hypo? I know I have it and the going theory is that it's caused by the skin cells not sloughing off quickly enough and clogging the hair follicles. That would make sense to me since every body function slows down with the hypo.

For those not familiar with KP, it's bumps (sometimes they're red, but not always) that resemble goosebumps, but they're there all the time. Common places are on arms, legs, and buttocks, but it can also show up on the face and other areas. You can get an idea of what it looks like by searching online for "keratosis pilaris" and looking at the image results for the search.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

applepip HB User
Re: Anyone have Keratosis Pilaris with their hypo?

Hi Funkadelica i have been getting a goose bump like rash on my legs and arms there not red just skin colour i get this crawly feeling then it comes all the way down my leg but it comes and goes it feels real weird over the last week i'v not had it so much but my TSH has gone down with my last bloods i think it must have somethink to do with that, i'm going to look up keratosis pilaris and see what its like love Applepip xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Hmm, I had them for many many yrs on my arms. My mother also had them, especially in my teens. They were just on my arms, and I picked them like pimples. I don't have them at all now but--- I have "porokeratosis". That is a rare dna skin disease, they say from the sun, but I get some in the winter. They are more brownish and on my arms and legs only. The sun does make them worse, no itching at all. I wondered if the thyroid was related?????? I've had numerous dermo's try different treatments, nothing helps, even froze 60 of them! Skin problems can be thyroid related from what I've read.
Hysterectomy

Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Keratosis Pilaris tends to run in families. My doctor said it is hereditary. My whole family has it to one degree or another. Some of us are hypothyroid and some are not. I am hypo and only have it to a very limited extent on my arms. My sister who is not hypo has a terrible case of it as does my daughter. FYI - There is a great cream (KP duty) which works wonders on it.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

Raynie HB User

Interesting. I've had this for years and actually just months ago figured out what it was. Was just diagnosed with hypo a month ago.

This just ads to my wondering if i've had Hashi's all my life or since early childhood as i am very short, very young looking, pale, always had a slow metabolism, always had this KP and dry skin eczema.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
(female)

funkadelica HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
Keratosis Pilaris tends to run in families. My doctor said it is hereditary.
Hmmm... my parents don't have it and it didn't show up until I was 22. My daughter has it, but hers is different than mine (mine's red and pimple-like and hers is more goosebump-like).

Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Here is some interesting information on KP. FYI

What is keratosis pilaris?

Keratosis Pilaris (KP) is a very common and completely harmless skin condition. In the population as a whole, keratosis pilaris may affect as many as one person in three. Its name gives some idea of what it is. 'Keratosis' means that there is too much keratin – which makes up the tough horny outer layer of the skin: 'pilaris' comes from the Latin word for hair (pilus). In keratosis pilaris, many small (1 to 2 mm. across) horny plugs can be seen blocking the hair follicles on the upper and outer parts of the arms and thighs.

What causes keratosis pilaris?

Keratosis pilaris is an inherited skin condition, running strongly in many families, sometimes with a generally dry skin (ichthyosis). The way it is inherited varies from family to family, but often fits into an 'autosomal dominant' pattern – which means that there will be a 1 in 2 chance that each child of an affected parent will inherit the condition. Keratosis pilaris appears when extra keratin accumulates in the hair follicles. This is usually in childhood, and most obvious during adolescence, often it clears in adulthood. It tends to be better in the summer than in the winter. Keratosis pilaris is harmless, and is not infectious.

Closed Thread