It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Nodules, do they go away?

This darn 11mm nodule is bugging me. If I talk long, try to sing etc. So glad its "benign", but would like it gone! I know surgery can create more problems and would like to stay away from that. Has anyone gone back for an US and found it shrank? Having only been on meds since mid Jan. maybe it hasn't been enough time to level things out? Do you find hypo or hyper phases makes yours worse? This "hyper" phase is getting housework done! and even longer walks!!! it seems to be starting to calm down a bit, thank God. Also the bowel issue has settled!!! cj
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Nodules, do they go away?

Kindspirit-Do you recall your tsh when you started meds ? Have you now had a new blood test run since you have been on meds since Jan , and if so what is your new tsh. I know tsh isn't everything but wondered how this is going for you as you say you have felt hyper and that is now more even.
Yes, it is great that the nodule is benign , I know how worried you were. And, yes I can see how the size of the nodule is weighing on you. I do believe that some here have said that the doctors did say that the nodules will change with treatment. I have a situation where my thyroid has really become smaller with treatment. It seems though it was not enlarged with to start. The first u/s said normal size, the second u/s one yr.later said small. And, when I compared size , one lobe is 47%smaller now, and the other lobe a bit smaller . And now both lobes more similar in size. So, the thyroid really changed in size for me.I have read with Hashi's that the antibodies will create scar tissue as they destroy the thyroid and this tissue will shrink. And, for some it may dangerously shrink and compress the wind pipe and esophagus. Oh great, something else to ask the endo about.Anyway, I dont know if nodules would be similar in that they shrink. My first u/s wasn't as detailed as my second so-couldn't compare as easily and there are 7 nodules and they don't say size of each but range .But, I am sure others here have said nodules can change -that is , get smaller with treatment.
Did the doctor tell you what complications you may experience from surgery? Are you thinking of getting a second opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Hey there Osteo! Yep I've had 2 tsh tests since I started in January. The 1st was done after I was on 25 for several wks and upped to 50 for only 2 wks, it went from 7.66 to 3.29, so the 1st endo bumped me up to 88mcg. I think the increases were too fast, thus the latest reading 2 wks ago was .12, way too low! So, new Endo decreased me to 50/75, alternating days. Not sure what I'm at now, but gotta wait for 5 wks to check. Boy, I've felt the "hyper" the last few days, it really didn't kick in til about 5 wks on the 88 dose. I've been decreased since Wed. so maybe it will settle down more?
I'm waiting to get my copies of the us and biopsy in the mail. Curious to see if the size of my thyroid is noted? he said it was enlarged but insides were all destroyed, weird how it can be enlarged and non existant inside?? and why would a nodule grow on a destroyed thyroid, this is so confusing. I'm hoping with time and meds the nodule will decrease and the swelling if it is from an enlarged gland will also go down? No, the dr didn't say anything about having surgery, just wants to see me in 4 months, plus have the 6 wk re test on tsh in the meantime. I really want to see my reports! that may shed some light on the shrinkage and compression??? I've heard others say it can take up to a yr to get normal on meds, so its early yet. Hope you are doing ok!! We're all learning so much about this, wish the doctors would take this much time to study!!!!! hugs, cj
Hysterectomy

Last edited by kindspirit; 04-13-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I'm dealing with chronic mostly viral thyroiditis. I use aspirin to take down the swelling so I'm wondering if that might help you unless there is a reason not too. I have about 7 nodules with the largest being 7 or 8 mm. I can't imagine 11cm. Fam

Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You can try suppressing your tsh with medication to see if it causes the nodule to shrink----that's what some doctors try, but you might get hyper symptoms.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

famnd-what do you mean by chronic viral thyroiditis? Is this hashimoto's , or is it something totally difft. We have the same number of nodules and the same size range-I have hashi's to point to as the cause of my situation. My tsh really fluctuates. I am going to talk to the endo about whether the thyroid should just be removed. Recently my lymph gland was very swollen and the dr said it was all connected to the hashi's mess. I was wondering if aspirin would help me, the dr. didn't say anything about that or any other solution other than raising the synthroid, my tsh had gone nearly to 5.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well I went hyperT on my meds and my thyroid nodule seems to still be growing. There are times when meds will cause them to shrink and times it will not. It depends on you and your pain in the neck. Mine is beginning to give me issues with my eating and swallowing. I do not know if I can wait to see my ENT in June. I may be calling him and pushing things up a bit. It has been three months since my first and only US. Things are still continuing ache and inflammation wise despite medication.

I wish I had an answer. I just want the dang thing out of my neck.

MG

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Osteo,

Thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid. It can be caused by a virus or bacteria. So one gets swelling of the gland and/or lymph nodes plus a very sore throat. I've had both baterial & virus as causes.

Interestingly, some cold viruses are a problem & others are not. I've never been one to get colds or flu easily even when I had 5 kids under 6 yrs. Now I get colds easily from my grandchildren but not as easily from adults.

I had my first attack in 1977 after a long ordeal with getting a root canal. I'll tell that story in Mg's thread later. My 2nd major attack cam five yrs ago after major stress & my close contact with one of my grandchildre.

Acute & subacute thyroiditis is not a form of Hashimotos although I was tested for that. My 2nd Endo wanted to suppress my thyroid but I have extreme high pressure so I have avoided it.

I think aspirin is worth trying in your case if you don't have any risk factors against it. I had to take mega doses during my major attacks so I have a whole routine to keep from irritating my stomach. Let me know if you need any advice. Fam

Closed Thread