It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

steph74 HB User
Normal for TSH values to vary a lot?

In November my TSH value was 2.96. In early March is was 4.1. Last Friday is was 2.7. Is this normal? (I was not on any thyroid meds for any of these blood draws--I started 25 mg of synthroid on Saturday, based on the March blood draw.)

My latest Free T4 is 1.22 (0.8-1.8). Dr. did not order T3 this time.

My antibodies were not elevated, but TG was.

My guess at this point is it's my adrenal glands. I looked it up and the description of symptoms for "adrenal fatigue" fit me to a T, much more so than either hypo- or hyper-thryoid symptoms.

Gotta get back to work, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this ossilating pattern?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Normal for TSH values to vary a lot?

You need an ultrasound of your thyroid if you haven't had one. Elevated TG is just one of many signs of possessing malignant cysts/tumor of the thyroid. I am not saying you have one, everyone has a different normal. BUT to be sure get the thyroid ultrasound run. Low cost, non-invasive, and quick. Antibodies tests are not 100%. The Hashimoto's TPOAb is as close as it gets with a 85-90% positive identification of hashimoto's.

FT4 1.22 (0.8-1.8) - [1.22-0.8]/[1.8-.8]*100 = 42% This is below optimal. Optimal is 50-80% with a narrower region for women of childbearing years needing to be in the 60-80% range of normal.

TSH levels can flux as a result of unstable hormone production and flux, the time of day you take the blood draw.. diet etc. But normal range is 0.3-3.0 for TSH now. And most GOOD thyroid MDs consider a TSH above 2.5 to be suspicious and borderline thyroid failure. Optimal TSH is between 0.89-1.1 which implies around 1. Treatment is a good call. I would just want the US if I was you.

MG

To rule out adrenal issues you need some blood work and other tests run. ACTH and cortisol 8 am fasting blood serum tests, a DHEA sulfate blood serum, and a cortisol rhythm test (24 hour saliva or urine).

Also you should look into your B12, vit D, Mg, and ferritin levels. If you haven't had the full chem spec panel in a while.. just get the works.

If you get all this done well we will be able to see if something is up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

steph74 HB User

Thanks. My gyn wanted to run the adrenal tests, but in 8-12 weeks. I'm sure if I call her she'll order them sooner. She's pretty pro-active.

I've been being treated for anemia (I have celiac disease, causing malabsorbtion problems). Blood tests from November-January, my ferritin was 1. February it was 3. Last week it was 12, so a huge improvement (will keep taking iron though!) Asked doctor to run B12. It was "normal" but pretty low in the range (I started supplementing with this as well, same for Vitamin D). Haven't had Mg checked yet. I'm no longer anemic (these are the best hemoglobin & hematocrit #s I've ever had!) but my RDW is still pretty high. To me this indicates B12 is (and always was, though no one mentioned it) a problem. All my strange RBC morphology is gone, too. :-)

Chem panel was all in the normal range, though some values were pretty close to the limits (upper end for calcium, albumin, and sodium; lower end for CO2, creatinine). Also, at the beginning of the anemia, my platelets were high (above the limit), but now they're normal.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well get that adrenal testing done stick with us and share. The more experience that we all gain the better.

MG

Closed Thread