It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Thyroid Meds

Hi,

Posting a new thread as you indicated. Just am hoping that the increase in medication won't cause any side effects or heart palpitations. It isn't that big an increase. You mentioned I might feel better in a few days, but she said 21-28 days. Even a little better would be heavenly.

I didn't quite understand what she meant about the Uptake....something about the TSH and the T3 levels aren't all they look at, the uptake is normal??? Do you know what that means? Is that another test?

I am trying to learn - but don't know much.

Thanks,
Liz

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to change the title - please write descriptive titles instead of using names

Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
Re: For Mauz

Liz,

don't worry I don't think you will have heart problems with your increase.
It is not such a big increase from 75 - 88 mcg.
Did he scedule a thyroid uptake test for you, it means that he want to look at how much iodine your thyroid can take in.
Do you know your FT4 numbers ? didn't he check it ?

Last edited by mauz; 04-14-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

The woman I talked to there mentioned the uptake being normal, but that is what I asked you - I didn't know what that meant. She said they don't just go by the TSH or
T3 or such -but the uptake....I think they tested everything - they took about 6 vials of blood. I will get copies of all of it on Friday morning when I get the scan - didn't see any use in them mailing to me since I go there on Friday.

That's about all I know. Perhaps the 75 mcg hasn't kicked in totally and the little bit more will boost a little. If I get more Synthroid, won't it cause more T3 to be produced -perhaps my thyroid has to get used to producing T3 more - I don't know. Again, I am feeling a tiny bit better from this virus which is a bad one - so will see how I am in a week. I basically do nothing except get up - eat - lie down - do laundry once a week - and only what I have to do. I don't go anywhere or do anything and haven't for a long time now. You know - I got this virus only a few days after I started the 75 mcg. so my body has been fighting this the whole time. I don't know what kind of effect a virus has for the body adjusting to new medication, etc. My blood work didn't show any infection since it is viral...all of that blood work was good.

We will see - my husband is picking up the prescription now.
Liz

Old 04-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Oh, I didn't ask about the T4 numbers - not sure why I didn't - I was kinda floored that they said all my numbers looked normal.

I was glad that things seemed to be starting to work -but not happy that I feel so awful. Again, I will get all of that on Friday. Oh, so the uptake is the iodine? I should have asked her....perhaps I will get a chance on Friday - if they aren't too busy.

Liz

Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

your numbers are not normal your FT3 is below normal that means you are hypothyroid.
Your FT4 is important because you are taking a T4 drug only.
I hope your FT3 will increase with the higher dose of Synthroid.
I know what you are saying about lying down all the time and doing nothing, I hate it.
I want my health back !!
When you get your labs on Friday, post them and let the veterans look at it, I am pretty sure they agree with me you being still hypo.

take care
Pia

Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi,

Yes, I want my health back too. I can't believe that I can't do anything - I am usually in fun classes three days a week for 8 weeks in the spring - go to lunch with friends and all kinds of things - out to dinner with friends with my husband and I do nothing nor have I for months basically. I know you know what this is like. It is terrible and not living for sure. We will see what happens - I am trying to be optimistic. This bug makes me feel a bit queasy at times - but not exactly sure what is what. Got the new medicine - but don't expect anything to happen quickly as she said 21-28 days. I would hope it would help a little before that - if that.

Liz.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

you should feel a difference in 2 weeks that is what my doctor says.

take care

Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

That would be something to look forward to. Thanks for the info. How are you feeling today? I didn't think I asked. I know you said your chest was tight,but thought it may be a cold?

Liz

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am ok my legs are a little weak probably need an adjustment in meds also.
Can't rest much with my Inlaws in the house, have to cook and intertane.
take care and things will get better from now on , they have to.

Pia

Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi,

I know it must be hard with company - I don't know how you do it - I guess I am so close to being hardly alive - I can't imagine doing anything. I guess when you have to - you have no choice...I feel for you.

I hope they get better for both of us very soon.
Liz

Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz,

How are you this morning, did you get heart palps from the higher dose ?
The cold finally moved into my chest it hurts to cough, god I hate this it never ends.
I am very tired today but could be my body fighting this cold.
Hope you are feeling better,

take care
Pia

Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi Pia,

Sorry you have the cold again - I think our resistance is down with all this thyroid thing being so messed up. I am still fighting the flu thing. I slept from 11:00 last night - woke up around 5:00 and a couple of times, but didn't get out of bed until 8:30 or a little after. I didn't have that queasy feeling - but all I want to do is lie down - sleep all those hours and lie down all day. Good grief. It could be some from the flu - but don't know how much.

I took the first .88 this morning and haven't noticed anything. I sure hope I don't have any effects other than feeling better - even some - in a few weeks. So, I guess it is a waiting game again. Blood work around 19 May and doctor's appointment 21 May. Yours is another week or so - right?

By the way, my endo is on the list of Top Doctors in Washingtonian Magazine this year. So, that is a good thing. At least I think I might have the right guy. This disease tests of patience for sure - I have had to learn - no choice and you have too.

Hope that cold doesn't get you down.
Later,
Liz

Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

What is your doctors name ? it is ok to post it on the board they don't mind.
I am glad you like and trust him that is important.
Today I am like you very tired would love to lay down and sleep but can't because of company.
Next week I have to go for blood work, I am pretty sure my levels are too low but who knows. This thryoid thing is very difficult to understand.

take care
Pia

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

His name is Howard Lando. Thank God my good friend of many years who works for doctors in the same office park and knows what torture I have been through since December called there and got me the appointment. I was so surprised and pleased and really desperate. I don't know if I would have been able to just get an appointment on my own. When I called the endo my doctor recommended, the couldn't see me until June 2nd. My doctor said he would call them -but I never heard from them - but then I didn't follow up either. I need to cancel that appointment, but haven't yet. I think this guy is the one to stick with - but who knows.

I need to see how I feel in about another week with this flu thing as I still have that nasal drainage and congestion and appetite is just coming back. It drained me totally - and with the thyroid - who knows. My husband felt the same and really bad. So I will see each day. And pray the .88 will at least get me functioning. Right now I am barely functioning. I do fix dinner - something easy - do laundry which is once a week - and little else.

That's about it. Feel better. One more week - good - do you think the Cytomel has helped since you added that to the Synthroid?

Liz

Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Pia,

How are you doing today? I am feeling only a hair better from the flu. Have been gargling with salt water hoping to cut some of the drainage - I think it may have helped some. I guess this is just a snail's pace for the flu and the thyroid. Have only taken .88 mcg for two days - so don't expect much from that. I slept well and then this afternoon - passed out for a nap for an hour on the couch. Boy, this just knocks you out cold - doesn't it?

I hope you don't have a cold and have been able to fight that off. When do you go for blood work - Monday?

Just checking in on you,
Liz

Closed Thread