It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User
Newbie with thyroid questions-- Hi all!

Hi, all! Jumping right in:

I had my forehead & thyroid radiated before I was 2 (tumor on forehead, clueless why they "zapped" my thyroid). Problems/Symptoms: female, short, adult/heavy (though normal appetite), hypothyroid, diabetic, severely allergic to sulfa & delayed release drugs. Hypothyroid now treated with Armour. Diabetes with Metformin. Apparently, now, I'm having what I suspect is a "storm" and it's making me wonder about the childhood tumor. Unfortunately, my mother hasn't any memory of that time in my life, and the hospital closed down many decades ago-- the records don't exist. My latest symptoms (since my levels seem to be "storming"-- going up and down) include: exhaustion, fibromyaligia, brain fog, severe headaches (over/behind often swollen left eye) that wake me from sound sleep. The headaches and the swollen eye are what's worrying me most at this point, and I'm wondering if the childhood tumor is back. And I'm wondering *IF* I *should* be wondering about this.

Thanks for any input given,

MerGirlJerri

The following user gives a hug of support to MerGirlJerri:
darenek (05-16-2011)
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

david45249 HB User
Re: Newbie with thyroid questions-- Hi all!

I assume you talked to your doctor. When my thyroid is off I get pain in my eyes too. Both of them though. I think it's hard to tell what symptom is related to what illness when your thyroid levels are off. I'm trying to get my thryoid balanced and then see what symptoms are left over that may be associated with another illness. If you're having problems with your head though it may be wise to pursue it with your doctor before waiting on your levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

what do you mean by "zapped" your thyroid?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User

David-- Yes, I received my labs last week. The first since changing over to Amour. My Free T4 was .7 (range: .8-1.8). TSH was 17.89 (range: .4-4.5). [[I'm hoping 17.89 was a mis-slip of my doctor's pen]] My other lab numbers were strange also. I've been treated for hypothyroid for over 10 years and these are the strangest readings I've *ever* had. But the eye pain/headache is new. So far, it's only in the left side-- so much so I can't sleep on my left side. BTW-- the first two months on Armour were HEAVEN! And even though I've battled thyroid problems for years, I just recently discovered there was such a thing as a "storm". Duh.

Reece-- By "zapped" I meant giving direct radiation to the forehead and thyroid. I hold that infants & radiation are not a good mix.

Thank you both.

Last edited by MerGirlJerri; 04-14-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

So the thyroid is dysfunctional because you've not only exposed it to radiation---but directly to radiation. Radiation kills thyroids. Thus, you have little function.

I know that a long time ago, they used to radiate tonsils, but usually, thyroids, if they are radiated it's usually, with radioactive iodine pills---as opposed to beams of radiation. If you had an overactive thyroid at the time, they might have done radiation to stop it??? Who knows.

I thought thryoid "storms" would be from too much hormone, while you seem to currently suffer from too little hormone?

I think you need a good endo, and you should consider, if you haven't already, having an ultrasound to see what that thyroid, if it still exists, looks like these days.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User

I *had* what supposedly was a good endo-- he dropped my med level and refused to put me on Armour (after my nit-wit of a family doctor kept me on low levels for years-- and refused to admit having radiation treatment as a baby would damage my thyroid). Things got so bad, I was falling asleep behind the wheel of my car. I can't stress how much energy I *didn't* have.

My mention of the "thyroid storm" was because my levels are bouncing up and down (unusual for me). Maybe it is. Maybe it's not. I'd "googled" eye-pain + hypothyroid and it came up "storm". [[Side Note: doctor's office just returned my call and he thinks it's not a "storm"-- but we'll be talking about it when I make an appointment tomorrow]]

So long ago, when I was given the radiation, I don't think "pills" were given-- just beams of radiation. As I think I've stated, my mom's no help. Doesn't remember. But one of my cousins (same age, living in the same house as babies) was "zapped" at the same time (WHY???). And he died last year after a lifetime of medical problems. One bit of clue I've failed to mention (because I don't know if it means anything)-- when she was pregnant with me, my mom had esophageal cancer (never smoked-- second hand smoke), but she didn't get surgery until after I was born (small birth-weight, developmental problems, naturally-- they thought I was "mentally challenged". Jury's still out. ).

I've since gotten a new family doctor (dropped the endo-- for now) and this new doctor has helped me discover the life-threatening allergies to certain medications (bunches of things have sulfa & delayed release traces that's not even listed). I hadn't thought of getting an ultrasound of my thyroid. I'll mention this to my doctor.

I know this note is very rambling-- sorry. I've still got some of the brain fog left over.

Thanks, Reece.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
(male)

david45249 HB User

I'm willing to bet you're not having a thyroid storm. I bet you're just undermedicated due to radiation or Hashimoto's and you just need more of the right medicine. I'm not better myself but I'm doing better. I've read that we should be in the upper 50% or more of our normal T3 and T4 ranges. Your T4 is below range and you didn't even report your T3. I would feel really awful at that level. Also, Endos are horrible about treating people who need more than "just in range". If I'm right at normal range for my T3 and T4 then I feel awful. I need to be in the upper end of the normal range. Endos don't allow for that flexibility.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User

David-- Thanks. You're clearing my fog a little bit. I'm dealing with a couple of problems here. First, I'm feeling like a flattened cockroach (not quite dead, but feeling mighty poorly) and second, I've always been very horrible with numbers. Percentages I get, lab numbers I don't. At all. I see numbers like dyslectics see letters. Not kidding about this. I can see my Free T4 at .7 is not even on the chart-- but the TSH of 17.89 is something I've never seen before (seriously, I don't know how to "compute" this number in relation to the chart). I'll try to have my T3 when I return to the doctor to discuss the ultrasound. He just didn't write it down. He knows why I don't want an endo (right now, anyway) and he's trying to help.

Because of nearly dying in the ER from some inter-reactions with drugs written by different doctors, I wanted just one doctor prescribing for awhile-- when I tell this new one I don't want to take a certain medicine, and the reasons why, he listens.

Case in point, my old nit-wit doctor had me on a certain blood pressure pill for many years (right now, I'd rather not give the pill names on forum), he ignored my complaints of severe pain in my legs and a basic feeling of dying. This is the man who kept my thyroid levels 300% under my minimum. When I complained about how I was feeling, he'd smile and say "You know... doctor's aren't God." (no-- I don't know what he meant by that, either) His other favorite saying (when I complained about other doctors) was: "Know what they call the doctor graduating at the bottom of his class?--- DOCTOR!!!" (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...)

Anyhow, after I changed over to this new guy, he worked with me and found out my old blood pressure pill had a tad of sulfa in it. I'm deathly allergic to sulfa. It contained just enough sulfa (not listed in the papers) to make me "feel like I was dying" but not actually kill me. It was also not allowing the little thyroid I was being given to do anything good. [[[By the way-- diet drinks make you sick? Look to the hidden sulfa!]]]

I've been so low, I've actually moved in slow motion. Once, when my husband witnessed this, HE called the doctor and turned me in. I've not returned to that "dying" point yet, but that's why I'm asking for opinions & help. Don't want to be a dead cockroach. Actually, I wanna be a bunny rabbit.

Thanks, David!

Closed Thread