It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

Liz1965 HB User
Effect of Beta Blocker on Thyroid Med

I was wondering if anyone is taking a beta blocker along with their thyroid medication. I'm taking synthroid for hypothyroidism and have recently started a beta blocker (Atenolol) for another condition. On the insert that came with that medication it said that it would reduce the effects of thyroid medicine. Of course my doctor told me nothing about this. I've seen conflicting information about this online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with combining these two medications.

thanks,
liz

Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Effect of Beta Blocker on Thyroid Med

Hi,

I'm taking Labetalol which is a alpha/beta blocker. I'm not sure synthyroid has an effect because I'm taking such a high dose of the beta blocker. Also, I'm taking aspirin which interferes too. I read the package insert too. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Effect of Beta Blocker on Thyroid Med

The FDA only notes the following about Atenol given thyroid medication:
Thyrotoxicosis - May mask clinical signs (eg, tachycardia) of developing or continuing hyperthyroidism. Abrupt withdrawal may exacerbate symptoms of hyperthyroidism, including thyroid storm.

Also only propranolol has been studied in depth for synthroid interaction. The findings were that patients treated with large doses of propranolol (> 160 mg/day), T3 and T4 levels can change SLIGHTLY. TSH levels in these same patients remain normal. Patients that are clinically euthyroid stay that way. They do point out that actions of particular beta-adrenergic antagonists may be impaired when the hypothyroid patient is converted to the euthyroid state (Normal thyroid functioning state).

Basically they are saying at high levels you may see a change in your levels. Also if you are hypoT and not treated to a euthyroid state, then the effectiveness or function of the beta-B to treat your issues will fluxuate and be affected. So you can take it.. but if you are not optimized for your hypoT.. expect fluxes in the effectiveness of the beta-blocker. My cardiologist requires me to take my BP 2-3 times a day. I adjust my pindolol according to the results.

Good luck.
MG

Closed Thread