It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
(female)

cmill32 HB User
Imporatn question for those of you who take Synthroid!!

Hi everyone....I have hypothyroidism and I'm just about finished with my first perscription of 50mcg non-generic synthroid....When I went to get my refill of the same dosage today, the pills were tiny and oval in shape as opposed to my first perscription of the pills being in a round-circular shape...I did use 2 different pharmacies.....but I was worried that this may be generic since the pill looks different....it wasn't perscribed as generic, and I see no generic labels on the bottle, but I wasn't sure because its my very first refill and I thought that synthroid was always round-shaped....Is it possible that non-generic synthroid can be oval rather than round? Thank You.

Last edited by cmill32; 04-14-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Imporatn question for those of you who take Synthroid!!

I think you have been given a generic levothyroxine instead of the brand name. Two generics are oval in shape: Mylan's 50 mcg tablet is oval, has an "M" stamped onto one side, and "L | 5" stamped into the other. Sandoz' tablets are oval, with "50" on one side, "GG | 332" on the other. Do yours resemble either of those?

Your pharmacy is allowed to substitute a generic if your MD hasn't indicated in writing on the prescription that no substitutes be allowed. If your MD wants you to take Synthroid, or if you want to remain on it yourself, [which would be the best idea], take the pills back and tell them so. If they balk, tell them to call your doc and have him authorize the name brand only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
(female)

jill60 HB User

I just got my Synthroid filled last week, when I picked it up they said take note of the shape, it is Generic now & it is oval. They said my insurance would no longer pay for Synthroid & I had to use the generic.

jill60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmill32 View Post
Hi everyone....I have hypothyroidism and I'm just about finished with my first perscription of 50mcg non-generic synthroid....When I went to get my refill of the same dosage today, the pills were tiny and oval in shape as opposed to my first perscription of the pills being in a round-circular shape...I did use 2 different pharmacies.....but I was worried that this may be generic since the pill looks different....it wasn't perscribed as generic, and I see no generic labels on the bottle, but I wasn't sure because its my very first refill and I thought that synthroid was always round-shaped....Is it possible that non-generic synthroid can be oval rather than round? Thank You.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
(female)

cmill32 HB User

Thank you very much....I was given the Mylan's 50 mcg tablet.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

My insurance company also pushes the generic, but to be honest, when I figured out the difference, it wasn't that much more to get the synthroid, so I just pay a little more, but I get the consistency.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
(female)

lindylou53 HB User

I asked my Dr. about going on the generic because it would be cheaper even through my ins. She said that the generic is not as consistant as Synthroid and she would like to keep my on reg. Synthroid.
I also think you should take it back, you may not be getting the dose you are used to.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It sounds like a generic:
Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium tablets, USP) are round, color coded, scored and debossed with "Synthroid" on one side and potency on the other side. They are supplied as follows:
Strength (mcg) ~~~~~~~ Color
25 ~~~~~~~~~~~~ orange
50 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ white

My generic 50 mcgs are white in color and more rectangular with rounded corners in shape. They have a score in the center. An M on onside and an L and 5 on the other. I haven't noticed a difference between generic versus synthroid in the 50 or 75 mcg values. But each individual has their own individual body chemistry.

FDA also now enforcers the generics to uphold the same concentrations of active ingredient in the thyroid supplements now. The only allowed variation is in the inert fillers and ingredients. As a result depending on these.. absorption efficiency can vary. the key is to find one that works with you and stick to it. Make sure your pharmacy notifies you of any changes in providers. My pharmacy hasn't changed its manufacturer/distributor of generic thyroid meds for 20 years. If they change they are required to notify me. I like that about them. $5 dollars for a 90 dollar supply of meds is sweet too.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-15-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
(female)

emmymm HB User

I have only had generic (175mcg levothyroxine) for 2 years and I have no thryroid organ. They have worked fine for me. I think they all work. It's the switching around of suppliers that can mess you up. As long as your pills always look exactly the same, you're o.k. It's a matter of consistency. This is according to my doc, but they all have their own angles. I had asked him about the debate between generic vs name brand.

Closed Thread