It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
(male)

cwaigy HB User
Thyroid Bloodwork - High T3 - Secondary HyperT?

I've recently had some Thyroid blood tests done due to an enlarged right thyroid lobe and these are the results:

---
Total Thyroxine (T4) - 127 nmol/L - Range 59 - 154
TSH - 2.16 mIU/L - Range 0.27 - 4.20
Free Thyroxine - 18.9 pmol/L - Range 12.0 - 22.0
Free T3 - 7.2 pmol/L - Range 4.0 - 6.8
---
Thyroglobulin Antibody - < 0.9 IU/ml - Range 0 - 4.9 (Negative)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies - 0.9 IU/ml- Range < 9 (Negative)
---
TSH Receptor Antibodies - 0.58 U/L - Ranges
Negative - < 1.5 U/l
Borderline - 1.5 - 1.75 U/l
Positive - > 1.75 U/l

Although some of the results are near the upper level of the ranges the only one that stands out is the Free T3 which was over the range.

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions regarding my results? Looking at the above I'm at a complete loss as to why my Thyroid is enlarged.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 04-24-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
(male)

cwaigy HB User
Re: High T3

I mostly suffer from Hyper style symptoms. My right thyroid lobe is enlarged and I also suffer from a mild eye protrusion but my results would indicate its not antibody related.

It seems that even though my Thyroid hormones are nearer the upper level, and in the case of T3 above it, I'm still producing a significant amount of TSH when I'd have thought given my Thyroid levels the TSH level should be backing off more to let them stabilise.

Given that maybe a diagnosis of secondary hyperthyroidism or some form of T3 toxicosis.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 04-16-2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Updated Information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Craig,

Have you talked them into an ultrasound of the thyroid? Do you have any nodules? If so.. talk them into an RAI uptake scan to see if you have Graves or hot nodules.

Total Thyroxine (T4) - 127 nmol/L - Range 59 - 154 -> 71.6&#37;
TSH - 2.16 mIU/L - Range 0.27 - 4.20 -> This should be 0.3 -3.0.. they are out of date here... but only by six years!
Free Thyroxine - 18.9 pmol/L - Range 12.0 - 22.0 - 69 %
Free T3 - 7.2 pmol/L - Range 4.0 - 6.8 - 114.3%

You are trending hyperT in the T3 range and I am surprised the TSH isn't lower given the level of T3 in your system.

You need a double check in the FT department to make sure it wasn't lab error. You might want to see if you can get the ANA, TSI, and TRAb for general autoimmune antibodies and Graves antibodies.

The other thing to note is that with there being a 40% difference in the Ft levels something may be off in the pituitary gland and adrenals causing your issues.

Request a cortisol blood and saliva test, ACTH, and DHEA Sulfate. This will let you know if you are adrenal insufficient. Adrenal insufficiency can cause you to feel very hypoT or hyperT as well.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-16-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
(male)

cwaigy HB User

I don't get on with my doctor. I keep getting treated like a hypochondriac despite an enlarged thyroid and many hyper symptoms so I paid privately for my tests.

Hopefully with the results I've got my doctor might take me more seriously now or at least agree to test me again via the NHS to confirm the results and hopefully an MRI scan.

----

I've actually had some tests before for adrenal function. I even got referred to an Endocrinologist but as I was only marginally above the reference range he wasn't interested in treating me. I was quite annoyed about it at the time and asked what the point in having a reference range was if he wasn't prepared to do anything about it. Didn't get me anywhere though.

Serum Samples Taken - 28-Jun-2007
DHEAS - 16.8 umol/L - Range 0.44 - 13.4
DHEA - 20.4 nmol/l - Range 5.0 - 31.00

Serum Samples Taken - 09-Jul-2007
ACTH - 28.5 ng/L - Range Up To 46 ng/L
Cortisol - 461 nmol/L - Range (9AM - 171 - 536, Midnight < 140)
DHEAS - 15.5 umol/L - Range 0.44 - 13.4

24 Hour UFC (Cortisol) Samples
1st - 20&#37; Above Upper Normal Range
2nd - 20% Above Upper Normal Range

---

Despite my doctors and endocrinologists ignorance there is something not normal going on in my body. I know that my symptoms, and even the numbers, show an elevation of around 15% above the upper normal ranges of:

* Cortisol over a 24 Hour Period
* Free T3 During a Serum Draw
* Serum DHEAS

----

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 04-24-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

It astounds me that the National Academy of Bio-Chemistry changed Free T3 values in 2002 to 3.5 - 7.7 and its now 2008 (six years later) and labs still have not changed these values!!!!! The technical paper for the Free T3 cautions physicians NOT TO TREAT PATIENTS BASED ON THE RESULT OF THE TEST. Treat the patient based on clinical signs and symptoms. The test is only to be used as a guide to help diagnose problems that can't be easily determined otherwise. If you read the full techincal paper, there are so many variables that can interfere with the accuracy of the test, you have to wonder how any emphasis can be placed on the test at all. If you feel well on your current dosage and your vitals are normal your doctor shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Labs Not Updating Forms for Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGodess View Post
It astounds me that the National Academy of Bio-Chemistry changed Free T3 values in 2002 to 3.5 - 7.7 and its now 2008 (six years later) and labs still have not changed these values!!!!!

The technical paper for the Free T3 cautions physicians NOT TO TREAT PATIENTS BASED ON THE RESULT OF THE TEST. Treat the patient based on clinical signs and symptoms. The test is only to be used as a guide to help diagnose problems that can't be easily determined otherwise.

If you read the full techincal paper, there are so many variables that can interfere with the accuracy of the test, you have to wonder how any emphasis can be placed on the test at all. If you feel well on your current dosage and your vitals are normal your doctor shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Glad you brought this up. I've been concerned about it too.

See also the High T3 thread about current ranges, not updated in my area. There's a chart in that thread. TSH range is in a very small font, looks like 0.27? To whoever said current TSH norm is .3-3., I believe that's old, that it's quite a bit lower now, but labs around here don't seem to want to update their forms, probably a big expense. So how often does everyone get tested? Are we waiting for labs to catch up?

Last edited by Eagle; 04-27-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Closed Thread