It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User
Perhaps you know, perhaps you don't.

Did you know some medicines, for one reason or another, don't play well with others? For example, a regular hormone pill taken with a thyroid pill can cause a decrease in the thyroid pill's benefit. Sometimes, just widely spacing the pills solves the problem, but I changed my hormone pill to a hormone patch and had dramatic results. When in doubt, ask your doctor "HOW do I take this pill?" Then... if any doubt remains--- --ask your pharmacist.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

lindylou53 HB User
Re: Perhaps you know, perhaps you don't.

I take my Thyroid med as soon as I get up, then about 30 min later I take my hormones and allergy med. Then I take my multi-vitamen and calcium at about 5:00 P.M. Are you saying that maybe I should also take my Hormones at 5:00 P.M. too??? I am only taking 50 mg. of Synthroid now, and I have blood work again in about 2 weeks. I am seeing some improvement such as my hair seems better, and also my skin is not so dry. But, I still seem to be gaining weight.

Thanks for you help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

MerGirlJerri HB User
Re: Perhaps you know, perhaps you don't.

No, Lindylou-- I'm saying some doctors (like my old one-- who was a nit-wit), when asked "How..." responds with: "You can take them in a box. You can take them with a fox... heck-- take `em anyway you want." (paraphrasing, but he basically said that)

I'm saying some medications shouldn't be in your stomach at the same time (or share time/space with food). In my case, it was ANYTHING combined with my thyroid pill. Food or pill. So, I try not to take (or eat) anything else until an hour after taking my thyroid pill. But IMO, the hormone medications work better (when you're taking multiple pills through the day) when changed to a hormone patch. Everyone is different. Every medication is different, too. Check with your doctor (hopefully he/she isn't a nit-wit)-- and pick your pharmacist's brains.

...brains...yum!
(vague zombie reference)

Closed Thread