It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

confused888 HB User
Thyroid Test Result- Do I have thyroid? Please help

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for last few weeks. My Dad has hypothyroidism. For the last few years, I have been having alot of symptoms(fatigue, weird throat aches, digestion problems, tingling, intolerance to heat, loss of apetite, headaches).
I went through many test (neuro & GI tests) and everything came out normal. I had a thyroid test a couple of years back and my doctor said it was normal.

Since I have family history of thyroid, I think that I need to dig more deeper. I got a thyroid test myself last week and here are results:

TSH 3rd generation - 1.39 (Range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L)
T-3 Uptake - 31 (Range 22-35%)
T-4 Free - 1.1 (Range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL)

I would really appreciate if you can analyze these results for me. I know there are other tests out their (e.g antibodies) but the facility I went for testing didn't have all thyroid test available.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

knittygirl14 HB User
Re: Thyroid Test Result- Do I have thyroid? Please help

I have just gotten my results back too...
Same reference ranges as yours.
TSH 2.39
Free T4 1.2

About a year and a half ago my TSH was 1.7 or so. They did the other T4 test, not the free T4 so it's hard to compare. But I asked my doctor if it was normal to fluctuate that much and she said it was fine?! I don't know...
I'm being tested for a lot of other things right now. My cortisol, CBC and metabolic panel all came back fine. It's so hard to figure this stuff out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
(male)

confused888 HB User

How about the antibodies test: TPO and TG? Have u had these done?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Confused,

You are below optimal but not out of range. You need a Ft3 run as well as the TPOAb and TGAb in my opinion. The facility may not have been able to do them, but any lab can draw the blood and send it out for processing. They just didn't want to do the tests.

TSH 3rd generation - 1.39 (Range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L) - optimal is between 0.89 - 1.1. I was having hypoT symptoms out the waz with my TSH this level and my FTs in the 40% range.

T-3 Uptake - 31 (Range 22-35%) - This is showing that you are converting T4 to T3 at an acceptable rate. If all is well with your adrenals and pituitary gland the T3 should be in balance with your T4. However this doesn't mean it is. A T3 Uptake is not a measure of your actual T3 levels. It is an indirect usage measure of T4.

T-4 Free - 1.1 (Range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL) This is 30%. Too low in my opinion. You need additional testing.

Knitty,

You are nto fine IMO. You are borderline thyroid failure given the new adjusted A A C E TSH range of 0.3-3.0. Optimal is about 1.. not 2.4.

TSH 2.39
Free T4 1.2 - This is 40%. Optimal for a female wanting to have children is 60-80% of range. Optimal in general is 50-80% of range.

You need an FT3 run as well as the hashimoto's antibodies. Do not let the MD brush you off until you have completely evaluated your thyroid.. ESPECIALLY if you have symptoms.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
(male)

confused888 HB User

Thanks mkgbrook. I am going to get these tests done next week. I have an apointment with my physian in first week of May. Hopefully I will have these result with me before the apt.

I'll post the results in this forum for more advice.

Thanks again

Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

confused888 HB User

mkgbrook and others,

I had additional test run as you had adviced. Here are the results:

TSH, 3rd- 1.02 (0.40-4.50) mIU/L
T3, Free- 342 (230-420) pg/dL
T4, Free- 1.2 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL
T3, uptake- 32 (22-35)
Thyroglobulin AB 30 (<20 IU/mL)
Thyroid Peroxidase AB >1000 (<35 IU/mL)

What do you guys think about the above results? Both antibodies are high. Does that mean I am hypo or hyper? I am going to see an endo soon. Please recommend me what questions I should be asking.

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The antibodies show you are rip roaring Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You will go hypoT in time. In the mean time you may have periods of hyperT mixed in with the hypoT. The greater than 1000 show that your Hashimoto's is in full gear and hammering the fool out of your thyroid.

T3, uptake- 32 (22-35) This is looking good.
T3, Free- 342 (230-420) pg/dL => 58.9&#37; This is in optimal range
T4, Free- 1.2 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL => 40% This is almost 20% lower than your T3. You are trending hypoT in the T4 region. You need to keep an eye on the Ft4 and FT3 levels. If the T3 continues to climb and the t4 just gets lower you may be looking at adrenal insufficiency on top of hashimoto's.

You could use a small dose of T4 supplementation (25-50 mcgs). This might slow down the destruction and make you feel better. More than that will definitely drive you into hyperT land. You do not need T3 given your T3 is higher than your T4. I would push for a fasting blood serum (8am) ACTH and cortisol test.. just to see where your main adrenal hormone lies. Depending on what that shows I may recommend more stuff. given your levels, your Endo may blow you off and say you are too normal to medicate. Some Endos want you to suffer until Hashimoto's kills off the thyroid. I do not believe in that... to much can go wrong if left unchecked.

MG

Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
(male)

confused888 HB User

mgk and others,

I am back! I had my Endo apointment on Monday. He looked at my results and said, even though I have the antibodies, my TSH, FT3 and FT4 are too normal for medication. He did agree that most people with antibodies will eventually become hypo T. Overall, he looked like a nice guy and listened to me. He also said that he is treating some patients with TSH between 2-3.

He ordered another round of Thyroid tests and some other tests which are as follows:

TSH 1.937 (3.1-22.4)
FT4 1.36 (0.61-1.76)

Cortisol 19.8 (3.1-22.4)

A bunch of other test were also done: Glucose,BUN. Creatininc, BUN/Creatinic Ratio, Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, CO2, Calcium, Protein, Albumin, Globulin, A/G ratio, Bilirubin total, Alkaline Phosphate, AST, ALT. All came out normal except ALT which was 61 (0-55).

So here I am again totally confused. I have many symptoms of Hypo T: fatigue, weakness, weak hair, muscle wasting, stomach issues etc. Doctor doesnot want to treat but I guess I can try to push him to put on a very low dose. What do you guys suggest? I have been suffering from these symptoms for last 4-5 years still my TSH has not gone up yet despite of all the antibodies. How long will it take before it gets there? Also what about this high ALT test result? Do I need to pursue that?

I will be calling the doctor tomorrow. Any advice on what I should say will be really appreciated.

Thanks
23yr old male

Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
(male)

confused888 HB User
Question Re: Thyroid Test Result- Do I have thyroid? Please help

One more thing, I have family history of Hypo T. My Dad and a couple of my first cousis from my Dad's side are hypo T. But all of them had high TSH right off the bat. So I don't know why I am not like that

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Would someone with more knowledge than me, please comment on my recent test results.

TSH - 3rd generation 1.55 (0.34-5.60)
T4 - 7.2 (4.5-12.00)
FT4 1.7 (.8-2.6)
T3 not done

These test are from 2/08 from my Fla. Dr. and my PA Dr wants me restested for some reason.

Currently on Synthroid .75mcg.....

I have still have intermittent fatigue, brain fog, shortness of breath, dry, thin hair and nails, depression, low blood pressure....yada, yada....

Thanks in advance.....

Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

Letterer HB User

Hi Confused888 - Have you checked Vit D, Ferritin and B12? These are three that come to mind that are commonly low because of Hashi's and can cause many hypo-type symptoms as well. If low in these areas, you'll need to start supplementing.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
(male)

confused888 HB User

Letterer, thanks for the reply. I will get those test done ASAP. Do you know if it is normal to see fluctuations in TSH? My last three results were as follows:

2nd week of April - 1.39 (1130am)
1st week of May - 1.0 (1100am)
2nd of June- 1.9 (0830am)

Thanks
Sohail

Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

That kind of fluctuation in TSH is extremely minor and doesn't mean anything.

Even though symptoms can occur at any TSH level, if the free T4/T3 levels are inadequate for your particular needs, it's very hard to get the majority of doctors - especially endos - to treat solely on symptoms without regard to excruciatingly "normal" lab numbers.

The only endo I saw treats when antibodies are high, no matter where TSH is. She says that treating sooner rather than later can prevent goiter and alleviate symptoms while the thyroid gland is in the process of failing from the autoimmune attack. That's the kind of doctor you need, and I suspect they are very rare birds. You may get earlier treatment if you see a holistic type of doctor. DOs (doctors of osteopathy) are holistic, but mainstream enough that most insurers will reimburse them. Lots of thyroid patients have gotten help from DOs when MDs failed to help.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
(male)

confused888 HB User

Midwest,

Thanks for the reply. I think I can try convincing the Doc to put me on a low dose. I am thinking probably I need a T4 supplement (in the first two test FT4 came out to below normal, however it was normal in the third one).

Is T4 supplement the best option?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Let me correct one thing... Your FT4 didn't come out "below normal", which would be below .8 ng/dL. It was what would be "below optimal" for most people. It has to be said that even your first two results are optimal for at least some people.

For the reason MG stated, you probably do not need a T3 supplement. A T4 drug would be the best choice for you. If you decide to push your MD for it and get it, use it with caution. Watch for hyperT symptoms and overmedication. There will be a list of them on the rX patient information sheet.

I just have a feeling that your MD might be right that it's a little too soon to medicate, but if done with due diligence, it can be tried.

Closed Thread