It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

LilE1977 HB User
Smile Can someone tell me what my blood test numbers reveal?

I am a 31 year old female with addisons disease ( I also take florinef and cortef) as well as an ongoing fight with regulating my thyroid (I have no thyroid, I had a goiter and had it removed with radioactive iodine)

At one point I was on synthroid and HATED IT! I pretty much forced my doctor to put me on Armour and almost instantly I felt more energy,lost the excess weight I was carrying and was less *itchy and felt like myself for the first time in 3 years.

Today I am at a good place with how I FEEL yet after I had such a great visit with my doctor....telling me how great I looked,my heart rate was great,blood pressure perfect he then reviewed the blood work and told me that I had to lower my armour!!!

I use this example as what I feel like is happening. Lets say you suffer from migraines,BUT the way they test if you are suffering is with a blood test.....so here you are with a raging migraine and the blood tests say you don't have one! So, then you live with a untreated migraine for the rest of your life based on a blood test! That is how I feel I am being diagnosed.......I know my body and I feel good where I am,and it makes me anxious to even think of reducing my meds since I feel the best I have in years. Currently I take a total of 180 mg of Armour or 3 grains (2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon). I have been on armour is a smaller dose for over 3 years but have been on this dose for about 7 months. I have NO symptoms of overdosing at all and here are my results from my last test which was in Jan. and soon to follow getting those results he told me he wanted me to cut that in half.......someone PLEASE tell me what I can do.......are my tests out of wack?

3t4-1.09
tsh 0.012
riiodothyronine free-.4

Thank you -
Elizabeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Can someone tell me what my blood test numbers reveal?

Would love to help, Elizabeth, but we have to have the lab's reference ranges for the free T4 and free triiodothyronine [also known as free T3] tests first. Make sure you haven't made any typos in the results, too. That .4 on the free T3 doesn't look right for an Armour user.

Waiting to hear from you...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Can someone tell me what my blood test numbers reveal?

Agree with midwest lab RANGES would HELP

Maybe your Doctor doesn't like the TSH so low?? Or maybe he's lowering it because of you weight loss ? ? ?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The labs look off. Did you make a typo? We need lab ranges and lab values to tell you where you are in the normal range and if you are close to optimal.

The TSH is nothing to be worried about because you are on a T3 supplement regime. The T4 looks low. I am not even going to speculate on the Ft3. Normal range is 230 - 4 20. But some labs use 2.3-4.2. If you are 0.4.. you are seriously in need of further testing and a LOT of T3 if you are at 4.. you are pushing hyperT and need to cut back on the Armour and add T4 supplementation to get your Ft3 and Ft4 levels in line. Without your ranges and a clear posting of your numbers we can not help you.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

LilE1977 HB User

Thanks to all of you. I didn't make a typo. I asked for the results via the phone. I am going to call her and ask for the tests (free t3) and see if she has that. I asked if there were anymore results and she said that was it. I am going to have her send it to me as well. I have another apppointment with a new endo on May 13th. It's a WOMAN....THANK GOD! I will post my further info as I get it. Thanks again!

Elizabeth

Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

LilE1977 HB User

[QUOTE=mkgbrook;3533149]The labs look off. Did you make a typo? We need lab ranges and lab values to tell you where you are in the normal range and if you are close to optimal.

The TSH is nothing to be worried about because you are on a T3 supplement regime. The T4 looks low. I am not even going to speculate on the Ft3. Normal range is 230 - 4 20. But some labs use 2.3-4.2. If you are 0.4.. you are seriously in need of further testing and a LOT of T3 if you are at 4.. you are pushing hyperT and need to cut back on the Armour and add T4 supplementation to get your Ft3 and Ft4 levels in line. Without your ranges and a clear posting of your numbers we can not help you.

MG- New blood work....any thoughts

Today, due to my recent tests I have started to increase my hydrocortisone from 20 mg in the am since I was about 16. Now 31 and started taking 20 mg in the am and 10 mg in the afternoon for about a week. After talking to her about severe stress I am under she has now instructed me to take 60 mg a day(3 times a day) for 3 days and then to call her on Monday. Although in reference to my thyroid (I had it radioactivly removed and was hyper then hypo after the removal) I have had amazing results with Armour thyroid has given me a 30 day supply until she figures out my addisons disease meds...i.e. Florinef and Cortef after that she says she wants to put me on what I call "the devils drug"synthroid so I won't be seeing her much longer but I wanted someone other than the dumb doctors out there to take a look at my blood work since all I seemed to get was a pat on the head and an up in my hydro.....any thoughts?

COMP METABOLIC PANEL, BL

GLUCOSE 92 60-99 MG/DL
SODIUM 141 133-145 MEQ/L
POTASSIUM 3.8 3.5-5.3 MEQ/L
CHLORIDE 106 98-108 MEQ/L
CO2 23 23-32 MEQ/L
BUN 8 7-23 MG/DL
CREATININE 0.6 0.5-1.2 MG/DL
TOTAL PROTEIN 6.3 6.1-7.9 GM/DL
ALBUMIN 4.0 3.5-5.5 GM/DL
CALCIUM 9.3 8.5-10.3 MG/DL
BILIRUBIN TOTAL 0.6 0.1-1.4 MG/DL
ALK PHOSPHATASE 63 0-115 IU/L
SGOT 22 0-41 IU/L
SGPT 16 0-54 IU/L

Component Your Value Standard Range
CORTISOL SERUM 6.0 - UG/DL
Cortisol Reference Ranges:
AM sample (7-9 AM) 8.7 - 22.4 UG/DL
P.S. this was not an am/pm test!! It was taken at 11 am.....how can they do an am/pm test? I've heard of people being in the hospital all day getting blood tested to get the exact levels?
PM sample (4-6 PM) 2.0 - 9.9 UG/DL

ASSAY THYROID STIM HORMONE
TSH <0.004 0.350-5.500 uU/ML

ASSAY, FREE THYROXINE
FREE T4 1.08 0.71-1.81 NG/DL

TRIIODOTHYRONINE TOTAL ASSAY, TT-3
T3 TOTAL 2.32 0.67-1.99 NG/ML

VITAMIN D-25 HYDROXY., BL
VIT D, 25-HYDROXY 46 32-100 NG/ML

Notes recorded by Romy J Block on 05/14/2008 at 4:02 PM
Vitamin D levels are normal
TSH/total t3 is still slightly high on Armour thyroid - we will make no changes at present and discuss more at the next visit.

cortisol is low with increased ACTH c/w her Addison's.

Her labs are not c/w celiac disease or premature menopause.

Please let the patient know.
Is she feeling better on the increased hydrocortisone

Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

How much Armour are you on?

I can see why they are worried with the T3 levels. I wish they had run the FT3 test. But even if the T3 is 20&#37; elevated by STD it is still high. I like you am adrenal insufficient. I can not take Armour, because I convert too much of my T4 to T3.

Your T4 levels need boosting as well. You are at 33.6%.

It may be that you need to hold on a T3 med until the adrenal issue is sorted.. then move back on to Armour... or cut the Armour in half and supplement with T4 medication. I do not know how long you can run hyperT in T3 with out adding to your adrenal insufficiency issues. hyperT T3 will add stress and anxiety on top of things.

It does look like things are moving forward. My MD just does the AM cortisol blood. The rest she follows with a saliva rhythm study. Some do go in at 8 am and 8 pm at a lab facility for blood work. I like my MD mixing in matching. It fits me better that way.

MG

Old 05-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
(female)

LilE1977 HB User

I take 3 grains or 180 mg of armour. 2 in the am and another 1 in the late afternoon. I asked about adding something to the armour but this doc doesn't even want me on it at all! She gave me a script for a 30 day supply and that's it. In regards to my cortisol being at 6.0 and my tsh being 540 I think....what does that even mean? My doctor doesn't even explain what those results mean as far as how I should feel or anything! What do I ask of her? I am going through a divorce and I am trying to move from Illinois to Florida with my daughter, prepare for a new job in Florida, find a house to rent AND on top of all of this my meds are getting all wacked out. I am at optimal stress levels and not sure what I need to do to equal out my body to survive through all of this. Please any advise will be appreciated. I am just worried with all of this I am going to end up in the er. Also, although my doc told me to talk 60mg of hydro for the next 3 days I am not doing it. Even on just on day of that I felt hyped up and my heart was beating different. If you were me what would you be wanting to mix to compliment my levels? Any drug names I will just reference to her and see what she says. Thank you!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are hyperT on that much Armour. You need to cut back because of the hyperT in T3. I concur with that much.

Your TSH is 0.004.. pretty much non-existant. This is your hypothalamus and pituitary gland telling your thyroid NO MORE.. STOP with the T3.. TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE.. ACKKK!

Okay the cortisol at 6 is LOW.. this just tell you that you are still adrenal insufficient and the current levels of cortisone are not meeting your needs. Need and demand for cortisol rise in response to too much T3. Cortisol is the safety switch which tries to shut down T4 to T3 conversion. When you do not have functioning adrenal glands your liver goes on a T4 to t3 conversion spree. This is why your T4 is so low and your T3 is so high.

Adding that much cortisol is going to hype you up.. but that is because your T3 already has you reveed up. You need an 8 am fasting cortisol test as well as a take home saliva 24 hour cortisol rhythm test. see if your MD will write you up for it.

Also have they looked at your renin and aldosterone? Are you on Birth control pills or beta-blockers? These tests are a no go if you are.

What was 540? I couldn't find that? A TSH of 540 with your T3 levels being high and your T4 levels being suboptimal would indicate severe pituitary/hypothalamus dysfunction. A TSH of 540 would indicate your thyroid was dead or gone and your thyroid hormone levels pretty much non-existant. This is not your case. Right now you are hypoT in T4 and hyperT in T3.. you need to cut back on the Armour.. but I would want someone flexible enough as an MD to know when and if you need T3 that they will add it. You moste likely need some more cortisol given you levels. However that much may be too much. i am surprised they didn't just say take and addition 10 mg first thing in the morning and let's recheck. When do you go in for more testing?

MG

Old 05-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
(female)

LilE1977 HB User

Component ResultsComponent Your Value Standard Range
ACTH (ICMA) 534.00 - pg/mL
-- EXPECTED VALUES --
10-60 (a.m. draw)

Sorry....that was the ACTH levels not TSH.

I am not on any birth control or beta blockers either.

I am not sure when my next tests will be. I am almost thinking maybe I should just leave it all alone until I get down to Florida and take these results with me. Do you think it's wise to mess with this when I know I won't be here long enough to see treatment through with her? I'm just really scared that I am going to get sick. Not sure if I mentioned with my thyroid but I had it radioactively removed so I don't have a functioning thyroid. If I take less of the armour what should I ask to try to add to it? BLAH......this is so confusing! You are so helpful though. It helps to know there are people out there that understand what I am dealing with.

Thank you

Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Get the aldosterone and renin tests then. the ACTH being that high is just how they know it is primary adrenal insufficiency or Addison's.

Your pituitary gland puts out ACTH in an attempt to make your adrenal glands sit up and do some work. In your case the pituitary gland has the blow horn out and the adrenals are in a comatose state.

Have you had an MRI to look for an benign active pituitary tumor? With your ACTH being in the 500's i would suspect that they would do one. My ACTH didn't make 100.. but it was still 2.5x the top of my normal range. My MRI was clear so they just chocked it up to adrenal insufficiency and kaput adrenals.

MG

Closed Thread