It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User
Fast pulse and hypo?

So....I thought with hypo, everything slows down, including your pulse. In fact, that's how some people end up getting diagnosed--have a pulse lower than the doc would have expected. And I was even a competitive athlete for 6 years straight (mid-field in soccer, massive amounts of running), so one would think that my pulse would be in a good range, maybe 60-70. Yet since I started checking it about 5 years ago, it's never been below 78, even resting. And my normal (where it is the most often) is right around 88. I've even had a nurse tell me, "Why don't you just sit there and calm down before I take your vitals." because she didn't expect my pulse that high. Any ideas? I'm on 75mcg Levothyoxine and 5mcg of Cytomel, and birth control. Started on all these after I first noticed the fast pulse. Also, I'm not anemic, my ferritin is ok (and rising), my B12 is good, Vit. D is good, and CBC is all normal except for low HDL and high LDL.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
(female)

jill60 HB User
Re: Fast pulse and hypo?

I know my heart was racing & Dr. said that is a sign of hypo.

jill60

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have Hashimoto's and adrenal insufficiency. My average pulse has been climbing steadily. My average on beta-blockers is 80-90.. with out 100 - 110. My BP is 120-135 over 75-90. I am not the standard hypoT.. my antibodies like to rip me a new one on a dialy basis.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

I've had my pulse spike up to 130 while sitting in a chair and stay there for a good half hour, but the endo said that if that ever happened again, I needed to see a cardiologist. I've been checked for adrenal problems, but my cortisol is fine (slightly elevated, but the estrogen in my bcp binds with the cortisol binding globulin, artificially elevating it. If I were to stop the bcp, it would drop back to normal. At least that's what my endo said). But my BP tends to run 100-110 over 65-75....I just find it really weird that as a former athlete (and even while one), my pulse runs on the high side, but my BP on the low side. And yes, I drink lots of water, eat salt, and eat potassium. For the life of me, I can't get my BP up, which is bad, seeing as how I have Orthostatic Hypotension.....(BP drop when I stand up).

Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

steph74 HB User

You've described my exact problem, too. Tachycardia (I've had the whole cardio work-up and all they see is "sinus tachy") with low BP and now hypothyroid. Initially I was quite anemic, and the tachycardia was attributed to that. We've dealt with that (anemia was from celiac) and I'm on a GF diet and supplementing with iron, B12, D, etc., and my hemoglobin/hematocrit is looking great. Ferritin is on the rise, too. But I'm still tachy! PCP wants me to see an electrophysiologist (cardiac subspecialty)... Walking makes my pulse go up to 150, sitting it can jump up to 100-120. I don't know what's going on.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has any insights...

Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My electrophysiology Cardio.. went around the block with me.. and finally determined the only cause was my fluxing thyroid state and antibodies. So I can blame mine on Hashimoto's.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Hawaiidreamer, you sound like me. I have always had a consistent resting pulse of 52. I am a distance runner. Since September it shot up to around 72-80. This in itself may not sound extreme, but it is elevated to me. I also had the occasional light palpitation and skipped beat but that all stopped in December. Now the interesting part, when I do the EFX it is hard to get my pulse up into the 130's. I still run 8 miles every other day, EFX on the other days. I ran a half marathon this year. No diagnosis, but hair keeps falling out, neuropathy, dry eyes....On the plus side, I seem to be in the mode where I can eat liberally but not gain weight. I know I need to get my antibodies tested again. Seriously, I am ready to throw in the towel on this whole thyroid thing.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

I took my pulse after my AM run, it was about 160. I live in a warm climate and generally the hotter it is, the harder it is for me to run and higher my heart rate. On a cool day it can be 140. Indoors though is another matter. Assuming the heart rate on the EFX is correct, it runs from 124 to the low 130s, and I am on it for over an hour. When I was having hyper symptoms, my heart rate would shoot up to 200 within the first mile of my run...scary stuff.

Closed Thread