It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

MandaMom HB User
Not sure what to do now

I recently had my annual exam with my ob-gyn. When I mentioned some concerns I was having (mainly, some leakage from one breast even though I haven't breastfed in almost 2 years) he asked me a lot of questions and decided to run some blood work. I got the results today, and the nurse said everything was normal. She said my TSH came back a 3.1
Of course, while I was waiting for the results, I googled everything that I was tested for, and I read that the A.A.C.E. says TSH should be between .3 and 3.
This is where I need some opinions. Am I enough out of the normal range to be concerned? Should I be asking for T3 and T4 to be run as well? Anything else?
My other symptoms include fatigue, weight gain (28 pounds since last year, with no change in diet, activity level, and glucose is normal), dry skin and itchy scalp, often cold, and also some feelings of depression with no real reason. My prolactin also came in normal.
I really appreciate any help you can give me. I'm tired of being, well, tired.

Last edited by MandaMom; 04-15-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Not sure what to do now

Sounds like typical hypoT.. Since pregnancy was 2 years back.. I am guessing Hashimoto's thyroiditis inspired hypoT.

You need the following tests run and thyroid supplementations.
TSH 3rd Gen. Optimal is ~1.. anything higher than 2.5 requires treament if antibodies or symptoms are present.
FT3
FT4
TPOAb and TGAb - Hashimoto's antibodies.

Once these come back a better treatment plan can be discussed.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

MandaMom HB User

Thank you so much, MG! I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get him to run some more testing. Hopefully, I can get some more numbers and figure out where to go from there.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Here are somethings to look into. i have been doing the thyroid walk for about a year now trying to get optimized so i might have a healthy baby and second pregnancy. Things are not looking good for me on that front, but the information will be beneficial for you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=585150[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=534786[/url]

Now I no longer go to the Endo, because she isn't as specialized in thyroids as I would like. But her adivce was sound. The MFM's advice was top dollar and on the money.

Good luck and keep us posted.
MG

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

WELCOME Mandamom!

I'm glad you're pushing for more tests, because even though your right AT the upper end of normal TSH, your symotms (CLASSIC Hypo-thy) tell ME that there is room for improvement. Don't let them tell you NORMAL when you feel ANYTHING but *that*. 28 lbs in ONE YEAR

keep us posted
Sue

Closed Thread