It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

stacey2008 HB User
How much pain is acceptable?

I know that this is a very individualized question... But, how much pain from a nodule can be considered acceptable? Mine is 1.7cm (posterior).

I don't know if I am over-reacting, or if this is now getting to the point where my doc needs to do something. I haven't called her yet, but am most likely going to do so tomorrow...

I wake up in in the morning with very little pain, but as the day goes on the ache starts - and by dinner time I start getting hoarse... then then the real pain starts. It's not the worst pain I have ever felt (I have given birth 3 times without an epidural ), but the pain is bad enough that I pop 4 Advil, and then lay on the couch trying to get comfortable... It helps to hold my head/neck in a certain position (kind of tilted back and to the side)....

I am going to call my doc - but I want your input regarding the pain, and how many of you are just dealing with it everyday...

I had my FNA a few weeks back - could my nodule be bleeding internally?

Thanks everyone - S

Last edited by stacey2008; 04-15-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
(female)

Curious2013 HB User
Re: How much pain is acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey2008 View Post
I know that this is a very individualized question... But, how much pain from a nodule can be considered acceptable? Mine is 1.7cm (posterior).

I don't know if I am over-reacting, or if this is now getting to the point where my doc needs to do something. I haven't called her yet, but am most likely going to do so tomorrow...

I wake up in in the morning with very little pain, but as the day goes on the ache starts - and by dinner time I start getting hoarse... then then the real pain starts. It's not the worst pain I have ever felt (I have given birth 3 times without an epidural ), but the pain is bad enough that I pop 4 Advil, and then lay on the couch trying to get comfortable... It helps to hold my head/neck in a certain position (kind of tilted back and to the side)....

I am going to call my doc - but I want your input regarding the pain, and how many of you are just dealing with it everyday...

I had my FNA a few weeks back - could my nodule be bleeding internally?

Thanks everyone - S

What were the results of your FNA? I sort of feel the way you do but my neck just feels much more swollen at night. Try some ice it really helps! I can't take Advil just Tylenol. My voice does tire easily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Stacey -Are you talking about pain that started after your FNA? Or, is this pain something you had before the FNA and it has just continued?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

stacey2008 HB User

My FNA was non-diagnostic - the doc only gathered blood

My FNA was well over a month ago. This pain didn't start with the FNA; in fact I had little residual pain and no bruising after.

This pain started about 2 weeks ago. Everyday the pain gets worse. Right now (since it is morning) I feel fine. No pain. But, I can guarantee that by 5:00 I will be aching pretty bad.... Then by 7:00 I will be taking tons more Advil and trying to get comfortable...

I am wondering if my nodule has had a rapid growth spurt????

Last edited by stacey2008; 04-16-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I live with a daily ache and throb of the thyroid.. it is a continual aggravant. My knees are over powering it as well. My ache is more intense in the mornings as well. My ENT said they correspond to thyroiditis flare or inflammation of the thyroid. This can correspond to antibody attack, nodule growth, and or other systematic virus/demands calling on the thyroid.

Call you MD and nurse. Tell them of the symptoms and ask if you should go back to an ENT for an ultrsound with a guided FNA if status has changed. I am about to push up my appointment with my ENT because of the constant ache in my throid and the fact that my food is now getting stuck when i swallow.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Stacey,

I've had two major attacks of thyroiditis & lots of minor attacks. I found taking ASA every two hrs took the edge off. My throat hurt so much-like boiling water was being poured down my throat. I could only sleep two hrs at a time.

The best thing I can say is to start taking your pain med first thing in the am so the blood level is up when the pain sets in later in the day. Distract yourself with something. Only so many things can occupy your attention at once. I watched comedies as much as possible to get through it. Call your Dr. Fam

Closed Thread