It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

Letterer HB User
Low T3 / Help

Hi - just had an appt. with the Endo today, got in early to see him because I'm feeling like crap - feeling weak, no energy, tremendous joint and muscle pain, dry skin.

Results:
TSH 1.91 (0.4-5.00)
FT4 1.1 (0.9-1.7)
Total T3 79.2 (80-200) *Low

Even though my TSH has dropped (down from 3.16 in Jan), my Ft4 and T3 also have continued to drop since I started Synthroid last November. The Endo doesn't run the FT3 (even though I requested it when I called in), so I don't have that number. He upped my dose now to 75 mcg Synthroid and scheduled to recheck me in 8 weeks, but I'm concerned that my T3 is going to continue to tank. Am I right in guessing this low T3 could be why I have so much pain? I'm having a hard time coping with the pain.

I did find a Naturopath who I think is going to be able to help (she quotes Broda Barnes on her website), but I can't get in for my first appt with her until June.

What can I do to help myself in the meantime? I've added iron and D3 already since I recently still tested low in these areas, and I already take a bunch of B6, B12.

Is there anything else I can do to help until I can get in to see the ND?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Letterer; 04-15-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Low T3 / Help

Are you interested in seeing a diffent ND? I can maybe suggest one in Seattle (by the Space Needle) if you are interested? Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Letterer,

You need your RT3 and adrenals and pituitary checked. You may just be a poor T4 converter and make the inactive reverse T3 instead of T3. This is like lazy muck makers in your blood and they do not help meet your bodies T3 needs. However if the RT3 is normal you should see your ACTH too high and high cortisol or your acth blah and high cortisol. High cortisol suppresses the T3 production.

Either way I wouldn't wait push for adrenal testing and a thorough evaluation as to why your T3 is so low. T3 supplementation is most likely warrented here.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

Dravadear39 HB User
Question Low T3, Can You Help?

I am being treated for low T3- and hoping for relief for my treatment-resistant depression. How long does it take for T3 to take effect? I am on 10 ug of t3 and 75ug t4 presently. (Also on antidepressants). I have felt little benefit in the past four-five weeks of T3.

Thanks, kay

Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Low T3, Can You Help?

Dravadear,

What were your levels? How low were you? If you have your last labs and the dosage you were on at the time. It would allow us to extrapolate. Are you taking the 10 mcg of cytomel twice a day? Since you have been on meds for 4 weeks you can go and get your levels retested. You may need more. It takes 2 - 4 weeks for you to equilabrate on T3 meds, 4 - 6 weeks on T4 med changes.

Did they determine why you were low on T3? Or did they just sling the pills out you with out finding out why? If you have Cushings or hyperadrenalism.. you will have issues until that is fixed. T3 is only part of the solution there.

When you are too low or too high good experimental procedure requires you to find out why so you can treat it effectively. Using that thought process I have walked my MDs through the discovery of my secondary hypoT, Hahsimoto's thyroiditis, Hashimoto's encephalopathy, adrenal insufficiency, and we are looking at some other crud. It seems like my AI condition started with Hashi's and because my original MDs didn't want to treat it.. it has had a field day in a matter of months since antibodies hit near 2000 in levels.

So my standard advice is test for the antibodies first off. That way you have a base line. Then if no antibodies.. you are good for a while. Focus on what your symptoms and blood tell you.

As to other causes for depression. How is your sleep? How long do you sleep? Do you wake up often? Do you dream? Do you snore? It is possible that if you have a thyroid condition you may have sleep apnea to. Sleep apnea even mild causes long term sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation can cause you body to break down because you do not have enough time for metabolic repair and balance. I have severe sleep apnea. My 5 year old son has it.. my husband has it. So I am familiar with the side bonuses on that front.

Do not fixate on the thyroid alone. Watch it and treat it.. but look at all variables. If you share your lab numbers and ranges we will be able to tell you how far away from optimal you are..

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
(female)

Letterer HB User

Hoppy - Sure, if you don't mind I'll take the name. I think I will try calling one of my reg. MDs back first though - this is one who I've been to see a few times who's got an open mind - he's the one who wanted me to get in to see an ND, and he had me do the adrenal testing.

MG - I did have adrenals checked using the saliva method, my md didn't think anything really jumped out. I was a little off in the morning one, we thought maybe it was because of the pain. I'll have to go back and pull the labs and look at them again.

It's frustrating, my Endo rushed through the appt and I didn't see the labs until after he was gone, otherwise I would have asked him about it. Both he and the MD are listed on the Top Thyroid Docs list, I was really hoping I could stop with the doc-hopping by now...

Thanks for your responses.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Post your adrenal levels when you get them. You may be able to benefit from DHEA supplementation of a token dose of hydrocortisone in the morning. I just went through this mess and had a triple MD crash course in adrenals. Gotta love being an egg head and learning from experience.

MG

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
(female)

Letterer HB User

Oh, thank you I appreciate your help

1/15/08 Adrenals (Diagnos-Techs)
7-8 am = 17 (13-24 nM)
Noon = 4 (5-10 nM) *depressed
4-5 pm = 5 (3-8 nM)
11pm-Mid = 3 (1-4 nM)
Cortisol burden = 29 (23-42)
DHEA = 8 (3-10)
Insulin:
Fasting = 6 (3-12 iIU/mL)
Post-prandial = 5 (optimal 5-20 uIU/mL) (I actually hadn't eaten for about 3 hrs before the noon collection)
17-OH Progesterone = 35 (optimal 25-100)
Total salivary SIgA = <5 (25-60 mg/dl) *depressed

I do take some supplements recommended by my chiropractor, these include ingredients such as chinese licorice root, 7-Keto DHEA 15 mg and DHEA 7 mg. Any thoughts?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

When do you take your DHEA supplements. It looks like you are getting the 20 mg already. The late afternoon and evening cortisol look good.
7-8 am = 17 (13-24 nM) = 36.4&#37;
Noon = 4 (5-10 nM) *depressed = - 20%
4-5 pm = 5 (3-8 nM) = 40%
11pm-Mid = 3 (1-4 nM) = 66.7%

Optimal region is 40-60% You are just a little low first thing in the morning. If you are not taking your DHEA supplements in the morning try and rotate them in there. I concur with the MD you do not have a consistant trend here, but it doesn't look like your adrenals are suffering too much. The only thing you can check in addition to what has been done is your aldosterone levels. Being off in your thyroid hormones will cause some fluxing of the adrenals as well.

I wish I had a better answer.
MG

Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
(female)

Letterer HB User

Thanks for your input MG I will move the DHEA supplements into the morning, I've been taking them later in the day. Is it OK to take them an hour or so after the thyroid meds? The only other thing in this supplement is lots of B6 & B12.

I'll see if I can get my MD to help with testing the aldosterone and maybe get a little Cytomel added in.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

A super B complex and the DHEA will not affect your thyroid meds. Just take them a hour after you take your thyroid meds. Well that explains why you are great later in the day. Let us see if moving the meds to 9 am works for you. This is when my MD wanted me to take my DHEA. 9 am! I take my thyroid meds a 6-6:30 am.. when my son wakes me for his breakfast.

MG

Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
(female)

Dravadear39 HB User

Hello MG,

Thank you for all your questions and information! I will respond as soon as I can get all of my information together. Dravadear39

Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Drava,

Take your time. I lurke.. however this weekend I am going to be traveling and practicing my martial arts. SO I may not get back to most until Monday or Tuesday.

MG

Closed Thread