It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
(female)

barbarae HB User
Critically low potassium and blood pressure drop…

I am taking 125mg Synthroid.
For years, even with blood pressure meds my b/p is always high, around 150 to180.
Last Friday I collapsed and had to be ambulanced to the hospital and admitted. They discovered my potassium level was ‘critically low’ and my b/p dropped to 103. Very frightening!
The doctors cannot find a cause for my potassium to have dropped. None of the meds I am taking should cause it. I eat a lot of high potassium foods.
My son passed away two weeks ago. (During the episode I fleetingly wondered if I was dying of a broken heart!) But they tell me stress wouldn’t have caused this.
Has anyone taking Synthroid noticed a drop in his or her potassium level?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Critically low potassium and blood pressure drop…

Yes. I was in the ER last week and my potassium level was 3.3 (3.5-5.2). Not sure why. They told me to eat more bananas but I already eat bananas daily as well as a lot of other potassium rich foods. I take Synthroid 50mcg and Cytomel 5mcg daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi Barbarae i am so sorry about your son i know what stress you must be under did the hospital think it could be all the stress that caused you to pass out it could have been a coinsidense that your potassium is low at the same time of this happening, i cant help with the potassium side of things but i lost both my mum and dad within 10 days of each other i went through a lot of stress at that time and i know it caused me to suffer all sorts of things one of which i did pass out and i know it was down to the stress. what has the hospital done about your potassium level what advise have they given you keep your chin up thats what your son would want i'm sure, i know its a very difficult time for you and your family and you will give each other strenght day by day and that will grow lots of love Applepip xx

Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

barbarae HB User

Thank you for your reply, hopalong_too.
I'm sorry the same thing happend to you. It's a very frightening experience, isn't it?
My potassium level was down to 2.3. They told me to eat more potassium rich foods, as well. I already do!
I have sent an email to Abbott Global ( the manufacturer) and will post their reply.
I hope you are feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
Yes. I was in the ER last week and my potassium level was 3.3 (3.5-5.2). Not sure why. They told me to eat more bananas but I already eat bananas daily as well as a lot of other potassium rich foods. I take Synthroid 50mcg and Cytomel 5mcg daily.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

barbarae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepip View Post
Hi Barbarae i am so sorry about your son i know what stress you must be under did the hospital think it could be all the stress that caused you to pass out it could have been a coinsidense that your potassium is low at the same time of this happening, i cant help with the potassium side of things but i lost both my mum and dad within 10 days of each other i went through a lot of stress at that time and i know it caused me to suffer all sorts of things one of which i did pass out and i know it was down to the stress. what has the hospital done about your potassium level what advise have they given you keep your chin up thats what your son would want i'm sure, i know its a very difficult time for you and your family and you will give each other strenght day by day and that will grow lots of love Applepip xx
Thank you for your reply and condolances, Applepip.
I'm so sorry you lost your parents. To have lost them both in such a short period of time is a double whammy of one of lifes most stressful events. No wonder you passed out!
I passed out because the low potassium caused my heart to slow down and my blood pressure to drop. At the time I thought it was stress related, but it wasn't.
I lost both my father 20 years ago and my mother 15 years ago. I still think of them every day. Something cute or funny will happen and I think... mom and dad would have a good chuckle over this. I've started a personal blog in rememberance of my son. His friends have two facebook memorial sites. I find blogging a release, as I can pour my heart out about my feelings, my ups and downs, remember the good stuff and the bad, the happy and the sad. It gives me a feeling of somehow still being connected with him.
Everyone has a different way of dealing with the loss of a loved one. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you find a way to express your feelings, no matter what they are and realize that your feelings are all valid and ok.
You are in my prayers and thoughts.
Barbara

Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

applepip HB User

Barbare you are a very level headed lady and very brave, its really good to hear you are using your feelings in positive ways i'm sure your son would be very proud of you i sometimes think people would think i was nutty if they heard me, when things go wrong like i cant find somethink and i'l say oh dad you up to your tricks again ar'nt you and my daughter comes out with so many things that my mum used to say but she was only 3 when my mum died how can that be i still beleive people go on in other ways i feel my daughter is so much like my mum and she was born on her birthday too so in many ways i know i'm still connected with them and you can be sure your still connected with your son love to you take care APPLE XX

Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

barbarae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepip View Post
Barbare you are a very level headed lady and very brave, its really good to hear you are using your feelings in positive ways i'm sure your son would be very proud of you i sometimes think people would think i was nutty if they heard me, when things go wrong like i cant find somethink and i'l say oh dad you up to your tricks again ar'nt you and my daughter comes out with so many things that my mum used to say but she was only 3 when my mum died how can that be i still beleive people go on in other ways i feel my daughter is so much like my mum and she was born on her birthday too so in many ways i know i'm still connected with them and you can be sure your still connected with your son love to you take care APPLE XX
I know exactly what you mean!
My son was 34. His partner looks at Shane's dad and she says he walks and stands the same way. She also picks up on phrases they both used in the same way. For a few days after his pasing, bands of pink light would run around the perimiter of the loft they lived in. My husband first noticed them thru the camera lens and photgraphed them. When he showed them to us, our sons partenr, she said he kept seeing them too. She'd move things around to try and figure out where the reflections very coming from, but they didn't change. The other thing we noticed is that the room would become very warm when the pink light was there. I know it is probably wishful thinking, but I like to think it was his way of surrounding us with his love and his joy.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
(female)

applepip HB User

Barbarae let me tell you ,if you feel that then it more than likely is because my friend lost her husband 6mnts ago and she has took a few photos on her mobile and on one of them you can be more than certain its her husband i have seen it and its very clear, so dont question yourselfs about what you see just enjoy it and keep it close to your hearts cause you can be sure its speacial for the family love Apple xx

Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
(female)

barbarae HB User
Lightbulb Re: Critically low potassium and blood pressure drop…

I'm going for another potassium test in the morning.
I just read some intersting info that talked about the other problems I've been having that all of the doctors ignore.
My Symptoms include: High blood pressure , Headache , Muscle weakness ,
Fatigue , Intermittent paralysis , Numbness.
Tests show that I have too much insulin and my TSH level has been as high as 57.3, as well as the problem I had with the criticaly low potassium level that they don't know what caused it.
Apparently if you have too much sugar floating around in your blood vessels, it is likely that you also have too much insulin traveling through your system as well. Too much insulin secretion can cause hypokalemia ( low potassium) because insulin promotes potassium to enter skeletal muscle cells.
I'm begining to think I may have had lowish potassium for a lown long time and that thru all of my complaining abot the above symptoms, no one ever thought to check my potassium levels before. Strange, because I've been taking b/p meds for years.
Hmmmm... it's a puzzle!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi Barbara thats what i meant in my earlier post that your potassium levelhad probably been low for some time then with stress and everythink eles it makes things your bodys been coping with in the past suddenly come to an head and show but its good they are doing teast for you now and finding things out so they can sort it for you babe, that was a high TSH was'nt it whew! i have just won my battle with my GP to do my autoimmune Antibodies test yeahhh! hmmm! but he said he would also do my diabetes taes i think he through that one in for good measure LOL! at least i'l no though wont i. what are the doctors intending to do now for you . love Apple xx

Closed Thread