It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
(male)

wil7 HB User
Question Is this thyroid related? please help!

When I was a senior in high school back in December of 1994, I became ill. At first I hoped that it was just the flu, but the symptoms continued to linger around. While I came close to seeking medical attention at the time, I became convinced I had cancer because I had some cysts develop in my breasts a few years prior to these symptoms (which I initially believed were benign), and I believe I noticed another one in my thyroid area after becoming sick. Therefore, I was convinced at the time that I did not have long to live and that nothing could be done to save me at this stage of the disease. So, as a senior in high school about to turn 18, I just wanted to enjoy the rest of my life the best that I could in a manner as normal as possible.
During my last semester of high school, the symptoms continued to lessen and my health improved, although the symptoms did not ever completely disappear for a consistent or significant amount of time. Then, during that summer they worsened again, causing me to feel pretty bad for about a month. In the fall, I went away to college, and although my problems acted up pretty bad right at first, they subsided more and more as the semester went on, allowing me to be able to begin to enjoy my college experience. Through playing basketball, I was able to get back in decent shape, which I think aided the process of my health improving.
The second semester of that year was like a miracle. I played on the collegeís tennis team and had a great season. During this process, my health improved tremendously to the point where I felt absolutely great most of the time. I would sometime have days where I felt tired but was always able to easily work through it when I had to, and most days felt perfect. However, I would begin to experience ill symptoms as a result of anger, nervousness, and strong emotions of love for women. When I had a tennis match, I would get nervous and have some ill effects from that, such as a lessened appetite (which I was not one to experience in the past as a result of nerves) and perhaps some body soreness, but was always able to work through it. The ill symptoms from anger helped me to get my temper under control, which I viewed as a blessing, and while I hated the ill effects I would begin to feel from the strong emotions of love for women, I thought that it may be best for me to not get too serious about anybody at the time and hoped that my health would continue to improve in the future to the point where that was no longer an issue.
As I recall, my health regressed again at times that summer but once again improved when I came back to college, and improved overall during the next few years. It got to the point where my health problems were significantly less of a factor, as I was less affected by nervousness and anger healthwise. It even was not as bad in regards to strong emotions of love for women, and I felt that if I could be less obsessive with this emotion that I could have a long-standing relationship without any problems. Also, while symptoms of this illness would flair up at times without explanation during the first few years after my freshman year of college, that stopped happening after that. In other words, I believed that with the proper mindset and exercise I could live with this condition functionally and happily.
Symptoms I have felt include nausea, soreness, fever, tiredness, stiffness, headaches, loss of appetite, chills, sweating, dizziness, light-headedness, aching joints, and various other symptoms. The symptoms have varied greatly from time to time. In other words, this illness has presented itself in a wide range forms at various times, as I have never felt all these symptoms at once. Sometimes it has presented itself in a fashion that is down right weird, such as around the time I was a freshman in college, when it would act up simply as a result of traveling away from home. Also, sometimes these symptoms would come on rather slowly but other times all at once. However, I have never had blood in my urine, vomit, or fecal matter. Moreover, I have never become so ill that I had to call an ambulance. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but feel as if I need to find out so that I can hopefully get better. I feel that my situation has become unmanageable and that I am at a point in my life where I must do everything in my power to get beyond this. Therefore I must confront it and fight it with everything Ive got, and must get it diagnosed successfully so that I can have a chance to do so. Whatever is the cause of all this, I am cautiously optimistic that it is not life-threatening being that I have been able to survive this long with it. Please do whatever you can to help me figure out what is causing this and how to heal it. On March 11 I went to the emergency room at MCV in order to confront this. They did some bloodwork, told me I was fine, referred me to anxiety counseling, and sent me home. I did not tell them all that I have stated in this and did not do a great job of explaining my situation, but I am convinced that my problems go beyond anxiety, so please help me to receive the necessary tests to figure out what truly is wrong.
I have reached a point in my life where I am ready to confront this, find out what is going on, assess the situation, understand it, and work from there. I have been unable to find any answers as to what the cause of these symptoms could be. If anyone has any idea, please let me know what you think it could possibly be. Right now, I donít know where to turn as far as getting a successful diagnosis. I am not making this up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Re: Is this thyroid related? please help!

You need make a doctor's appt. and go in for a complete physical. Your symptoms could be related to too many things for anyone on the board to know for sure.

Start with a doctor's appt. and physical.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

wil7 HB User

Thank you, Barbara Ann. I will make a doctor's appointment. I just hope to be able to find someone who will actually listen to me instead of just charge me a bunch of money.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
(male)

wil7 HB User

I went to a doctor last week, and they didnt even believe me, much less listen to me. Where do you all suggest I go from here. I am not lying about any of this. i wish I was, but Im not.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

mistygreen HB User

Try another MD.!!! Go someone else..ie. an internist for a thorough physical, including labs.Ask them to run thyroid tests, and blood sugar. rheumatroid factor, calcium levels, etc.. You may have anything!! Suggest? that you ask them to check for lymes disease. re the joint pain. . Write a list of your complaints/symptoms and give it to the MD ,- one who listens and communicates.Friends possibly, can give you recommendations - if not, call the md referral dept of most hospitals, and get three names.
Possible other ideas. for a longer term problem, Keep a daily diary of your symptoms, and what you eat..ie a nutrition diary? You cannot diagnose yourself, so please go to another MD Good luck.
You might also want to read books by DR. OZ... He has a series of YOU Books. Feel better, but don't try to diagnose yourself! You don't feel well, so listen to your body, and go to someone who can find the cause.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

bittygirl HB User

ask the doctor to run Adrenal tests (cortisol, ACTH, DHEAS, testostone) Any of these could be low or could point to Addisons disease.
Be presistent with the doctor to get all the tests you need and do not give up, no matter what you do. You know something is wrong, and you have the right to an answer so that you can get treatment for it.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
(male)

wil7 HB User

thank you all for your help. Hopefully there will be a happy ending to all this.

Closed Thread