It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Red Eyes

Are red eyes or red veiny eyes in the eyeballs common among hypos? I used to never have this until I was diagnosed.

Does it go away once you're optimized?

TIA!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: Red Eyes

I've had the "veiny" eyes too. Very dry and some pain. I asked my ist endo about it and he was 'clueless". But I've read it can be, so there are so many issues with this darn deal, with time, hopefully it will resolve? I use artificial tears, that helps some. Hang in there!
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks, KindSpirit, for the reply. I wanted to be sure I was not the only one to experience this. I'll try to see if I can get drops to lubricate my eyes or help them turn whiter.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Well, I'm not actually hypo or hyper either. But I do have a lot of red veins in my left eye. Opthamologist says don't worry about it it is on the surface not deep. He also said I had dry eyes. There are times the veins look a lot worse and really feel like sandpaper.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
(female)

applepip HB User

HYi Barbarae , Hi Girls its Apple here i also had very dry and itchy eyes for some years before being diagnosed i have been given eye drops by my allergy clinic as thars what they have put it down to thanks for this information its a great help love Apple

Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
(female)

barbarae HB User

Hi Apple!
I love this board...
it's nice to know I'm not alone with my weird and wacky health issues!
Barbara

Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi Barbarae i know what you mean and if theres any questions we can help with we will you would'nt beleive our thyroid could cause such confusions it has a lot to answer for does'nt it babe i have been haveing chest cramps and am waiting to have my 24hr tape fitted i have an existing heart problem but before i can have my meds increased they have to check my heart as they have'nt for some years they should give me a check up once a year and i told my gp i think my thyroid is fluctuating and i'm haveing palpitations so he asked how long is it scince your heart was checked , i said you tell me its on your screen you should send me every year, Hmmmmm no comment from him. so while i wait for this test now i also have to wait in agony for more medication. i just wish they would do things right for once. thats my morning moan on thyroid i can get on with my day now lol! hehe love Apple xx take care hun.

Last edited by applepip; 04-17-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
(female)

barbarae HB User

OMG...Apple, you and I have such similar things going on! While I was in the hospital last weekend, hooked up to heart monitors, etc, I mentioned that I have Mitral valve prolapse, also often problems with an irregular heartbeat. I asked if they thought it might be time for me to wear a Halter Monitor again, as the last time was almost 5 years ago. They hmmmmmm'ed and never did answer... as they pumped potassium into my veins and down my throat.
I'm convinced that somehow all of this stuff is tied together.
It's 1:45am... I've been in bed twice and can't sleep, I am full of energy. Where was this energy when I needed it in the daylight???
There's my final rant and rave for the night!
Take care. Good night.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious2013 View Post
Well, I'm not actually hypo or hyper either. But I do have a lot of red veins in my left eye. Opthamologist says don't worry about it it is on the surface not deep. He also said I had dry eyes. There are times the veins look a lot worse and really feel like sandpaper.
Curious2013,
I also get the "sandpaper" feeling in my eyes at times with grit coming out of them too.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
(female)

barbarae and applepip,

I love this board too. I think I should make a trip to the opthalmologist. I don't get the chest pains and sleepiness but I wonder if it might be the hyper side that could be causing it.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi librarygirl2 i have just had a look at some info and here it is Eye problems (blurring; double vision; gritty, achy, dry, irritated
red eyes; bulging eyes; light sensitivity; jumpy eyes; watery eyes) this goes with hyper hope it helps love Apple

Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepip View Post
Hi librarygirl2 i have just had a look at some info and here it is Eye problems (blurring; double vision; gritty, achy, dry, irritated
red eyes; bulging eyes; light sensitivity; jumpy eyes; watery eyes) this goes with hyper hope it helps love Apple
Hi Applepip,
I know a lot of symptoms overlap between hypo and hyper. I definitely don't have the bulging eyes or any hyper symptems especially now that I am off all thyroid meds to see how I feel without them. Since I got off the thyroid meds, my red eyes are getting more gritty, red, and dry. I also have stuff coming out the inner corners of my eyes. Sorry to be disgusting. My eyes are getting puffier too. As well as my face. Hating life right now. So tempted to go back on thyroid meds but need to see what my lab values will be in 4 weeks time.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi librarygirl2 why did you come off your meds were you taking thyroxine i am ,did your doc tell you to come of them i do know how you feel though babe do not hate life its ours for the taking and we have to make the most of it even when the going gets tough and it does at times with this daned thyroid thing but were all here to talk to each other and help each other out and if you want to scream and shout to get it out of your hair then we dont mind you can do it here with us we call ourselfs the mad thyroid family do you want to join YES or NO ? lol!

Last edited by applepip; 04-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepip View Post
Hi librarygirl2 why did you come off your meds were you taking thyroxine i am ,did your doc tell you to come of them i do know how you feel though babe do not hate life its ours for the taking and we have to make the most of it even when the going gets tough and it does at times with this daned thyroid thing but were all here to talk to each other and help each other out and if you want to scream and shout to get it out of your hair then we dont mind you can do it here with us we call ourselfs the mad thyroid family do you want to join YES or NO ? lol!
I was taking Armour and I never felt good. In addition, I was feeling like I had the flu, still puffy all over, brain fog, serious water retention, and depression. I only felt better when my dosage was much higher (such as 2.5 grains) but then my FT3 went way over the range and my FT4 was only 2 points over. I was seeing a GP that only prescribed Armour but he wouldn't do combo or switch me to Synthroid. I want to go back to my Endo that diagnosed me with hypo but I know she will me livid with me for abandoning her. I hope she'll get over it once I tell her. What prompted me to stop the meds is because early 2007 I stopped the Armour and went back in for testing after 4 weeks. My TSH was 1.7 but my FT4 was at .86 (range starts at .56). I looked at my TSH and thought that maybe I didn't need the meds. However, I felt physically tired and foggy that I ended up resuming Armour. Maybe I should have waited another two weeks and it could be possible that my TSH could have risen more. I have Hashi's so this is why I want to stop Armour. It never worked well and always made me feel worse. Maybe Synthroid will be next if I don't see my blood levels getting better.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #15
(female)

applepip HB User

librarygirl2 you keep pushing girl for what you want and in the end you willget it i suppose the docs think they cant give everybody so they make us work hard for what we want so there has to be some of us who will badger them, so us it will be hey! you demand let me know how you get on love Apple xx

Closed Thread