It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
(male)

helloamerica HB User
Hi

My TSH has shown 5.2uIU/ml(0.2-5.5) and this is for thr first time it came like this.
Earlier my Doc. checked 6 months back it was normal.
My Doc also told me to go for one more test to confirm.
He also indicated its still can be considered normal but lets check quite often if it goes beyond this.No medications as of yet.
Guys i need advice.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
(female)

jill60 HB User
Re: Hi

My Dr. likes mine to be at a 2. I think mine was 5. something when Dr. started me on synthroid.
Good Luck

Jill60

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi there i was diagnosed at 4.49 and was feeling really ill at this level, how are you feeling and what symptoms do you have, what level was it 6 months ago when your Gp said he classed it as normal the range for my area is 0.4-4 ask him what the range is for your area and what the level 6 months ago was and you could ask for a print out of your test results for your own records love Apple

Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi helloamerica (I like the name) welcome on board I am sure MG will be on here later with her help, she is a very clever and helpful lady on this board.
All so you have pepole like midwest, and accessn that are also helpful.
All I can say is I would think that MG will agree when I say I think they are useing old ranges I now think in America the level is no more that a TSH of 3!!

take care Maz

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 04-17-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
(female)

applepip HB User

helloamerica if you have any other test results put them on here and that will help MG if she sees this post love Apple xx

Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

TAG! Your hypothyroid. Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family. I am sorry that it looks like your thyroid is being a pain in the neck, but know you are not alone.

Hey ladies, I do get around don't I. And my eyes burn when people type about me. Here are some facts I have been digging up for another male that is not recieving adequate care. Look over this thread, please it will save on my typing. It has the basic normal range information for today.. not the 1970's. Only someone 30 years behind the curve considers a TSH of 5 normal.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=595996[/url]

I am all for a retest. Lab techs can make errors and can be sleep deprived too! The tests you need are:
TSH 3rd Gen
Free T3
Free T4
TPOAb and TGAb

It is possible if you had a dormant case of Hashimoto's that it woke up and hammered your thyroid. Ask about in your family.. the ladies are the first you should ask.. because we rule in the area of thyroid dysfunction. If you have Graves and Hashimoto's sufferers in your line.. it is almost a guarantee. Do you have any symptoms? Maybe you do and you are blaming some other disorder for them. Early on it is possible to treat all the symptoms as individual conditions. It isn't until the thyroid flounders and dies that you can not keep going.

I would be interested to see what normal was a few months ago. Get a copy of all lab work from the last few years. Such a comparison may show you a trend or a period where some event occured to cause a shift. My event was my pregnancy 5 years ago. I don't think that is your issue, but mono, bacterial infections, hormone fluxes, and more can activate or deactivate the thyroid. Normal is not always optimal for you. That is the motto of many on this board.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

I'd get copies of ALL my old labs to see if there was TSH in them. (even my idiot Doc ran it as normal yearly bloodwork) Looking at old results would give you a baseline. I believe that 5.0 is boarderline high for a man.

Don't let them tell you NORMAL when you feel anything but that. My Doc should of caught my 1st post Thy surgery TSH of 4.73! (4 X's MY normal as prior labs indicated - but she didn't so my 3.5 months of hypo-h*** began)

In 26 months time, I've seen 4 different Doctors for my thyroid care. So don't affriad to switch if your hearing NORMAL a-n-d you feel anything but that.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Suey,
You are hitting the nail right on the head. I think he has needed treatment for a while.. but we shall see what the blood shows. Make sur eyou are getting your labs drawn early in the morning. The time of day blood is drawn does make a difference.

Here is something you might get a kick out of Suey. The optimal range used for determining the NORMAL TSH range was multiple studies of over 5000 males under the age of 40 with NO family history of thyroid dysfunction. This showed 85-90 % of males in this demographic had a TSH between 0.89-1.1. Approximately 1! So from this ~1 the gaussian statistics were applied and redefined given today's sensitive TSH methods to get the normal range of 0.3-3.0.

Now this always makes me want to *snort* and *hrumph* because.. why haven't they done this for women? I would like to know where 5000 normal thyroid functioning females with no family history of thyroid dysfunction lie? OHHHHH! *visualize a light bulb speaking in a sarcastic tone* It must be neigh impossible to find enough women that fall into the NORMAL thyroid function demographic.

Sorry had a little vent session against the authority over NORMAL. Hey what authority would govern defining NORMAL. Sign me up.

MG

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
(male)

helloamerica HB User

Hi All
Thanks for your advice's.
I live in NY,USA.
It was 3.55 when doc. checked me last time.
Even at 5.2uIU/ml he said not worry bcs some carry this kind of number for their life time without actually having any symptoms.
Am scared to take medication bcs of its potential side effects.
Am going for repeat test so lets what's gonna happen.
Regards

Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
I'd get copies of ALL my old labs to see if there was TSH in them. (even my idiot Doc ran it as normal yearly bloodwork) Looking at old results would give you a baseline. I believe that 5.0 is boarderline high for a man.

Don't let them tell you NORMAL when you feel anything but that. My Doc should of caught my 1st post Thy surgery TSH of 4.73! (4 X's MY normal as prior labs indicated - but she didn't so my 3.5 months of hypo-h*** began)

In 26 months time, I've seen 4 different Doctors for my thyroid care. So don't affriad to switch if your hearing NORMAL a-n-d you feel anything but that.

Suey77,
You are so right. Last night, I looked at my old labs and I felt fine up to 2004when my TSH was at 1.0 and my FT4 was at 1.4 (1.8 was the upper limit). Then I got a new job and it became the most stressful 20 months of my life. In October 2006, my TSH went up to 3.8 with a lower than midrange FT4. I don't know my TSH since getting on Armour. I'm off all thyroid meds b/c Armour wasn't making me any better. We'll see what my TSH and FT4 will be (If I can stay with no thyroid meds for the entire 6 weeks! I'm so tired! My body is all puffy) in about 4 weeks.

Closed Thread