It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User
confused

hi can anyone help i would like to know if anyone has both constipation and diarrea with an underactive thyroid i seem to go from one to the other i am on no treatment yet

Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
(female)

applepip HB User
Re: confused

Hi there SHARON Welcome to the board i do suffer with both but i do go somewhat more normal now , i am underactive and have been on my thyroxine for 9 months now but i am still trying to get my levels right with my meds what is your TSh level at the minute love Apple xx

Last edited by applepip; 04-17-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Hi, I do!!!! The only time I've had bad constipation was when I was on pain meds. Mostly loose, but last wk I was all bound up! I'm hypo and hashi's, since the change of med amounts I got constipated. I've had off and on "colitis" type attacks most of my life. So, if you haven't been chkd for autoimmune issues, that should be looked at. Today I'm back to running to the bathroom, I'd take that over the bound up time.
Hysterectomy

Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have those fluxes as well. Hashimoto's-r-us! It seems to correspond to antibody flares and attack of the thyroid. If I have a really nasty flare and a lot of T4 dumped into my system.. back door trots are a guarantee. Unfortunately this doesn't happen as much anymore. However my last two days I have been getting looser. My thyroid has been aching as well. So i know it is getting hammered.

MG

Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi i dont know what my levels are the doc just said it was a bit underactive he did say something about t6 but they dont tell you much i have to go for another blood test next week as he has to check it again before he puts me on any treatment i have gained nearly 2 stone in weight and have been suffering with what seems like frozen shoulder for about 6 months i dont know much about the thyroid so i dont know if the joint pain would be that i cant seem to sleep at night but am yawning all day long i am very depressed and have got realy lazy i am usualy on the go all the time its just misrible incidenly i thought i might add when the thyroid test was done i had been trying to stop smoking but i have started again

Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I remember you. I am glad you requit the smoking. Hypothyroidism will cause all the issues you mention. Make sure that you get tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis in conjunction with another TSH and Free T's if at all possible. The MDs will know what you are talking about if you ask for the tests. Whether or not he will run Free Ts or Total Ts will depend on him and his idea of care required.

Apple, Mad Maz, pursie, and many other english ladies roam this board and may be able to answer some more specific NHS of UK questions. It is hard for us to understand your system, but we do understand how hard it is to get optimal care.

I wish I could help you out more and I wish the MD didn't wait so long to get this next round of testing done. By law the MD has to release a copy your labs to you is you ask. This holds for your UK health system as well as our US health care system. Ask the ladies at the front desk.. don't bother the MD with it. It is beneath their responsibilities. Yes, one MD told me that. He got my you are so full of it smile.

MG

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
(female)

applepip HB User

Hi Sharon i am from the East Midlands where are you in the uk and yes MG is right it can be difficult to get past the TSH stage of tests, but to start with your GP should test your TSH and your free t4 level and your Antibodies, i have found you only get what you ask for in this country so tell him you would like to request these test to start you off on the right foot, you would rather understand the situation now than go further down the line haveing to wonder what this and that could be you will have lots of help on this board but get what your entitled too, i have just acheived a goal and got some positives off my GP today if i can help i will i am still learning myself but we can learn together Apple xx

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi applepip i live in england i dont understand why they do not give you treatment they are waiting for a second bloodtest to confirm it first they do not tell you very much and if you ask they look at you as if you as if you would not understand

Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

applepip HB User

Sharon i no what your saying but they only look at you that way because they think it will stop you asking questions, you ask what you need to and come feeling good with answers has your GP not given you any numbers yet, when he tells you your results tell him you would like a print out copy of whatever they are my TSH was 4.49 when i was diagnosed and my free t4 was 13.6 let us know when you get yours love Apple

Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

no when i asked him the numbers all he said was t6 whatever that means i havent a clue

Old 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
(female)

applepip HB User

no babe i dont know what he's on about i would ask him to give you a clear explanation hope you get on ok with him the next time love Apple xx

Last edited by applepip; 04-17-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you i will try and get him to explain it a bit better i will let you know what he says

Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon,

Get a copy of the logs and bring a friend to take notes. It will help and give you added support as well.

MG

Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi i asked the doctor about my tsh levels he said they were 6.9 and said that its not that high wait 2 months and get another test done

Last edited by SHARON1952; 04-18-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Closed Thread