It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

kcf71 HB User
Thyroid Problem or Bi-Polar

Hi all,

This is my first post to the Thyroid board. Im glad its here!

I have a goiter on my thyroid and it has increased in size since it was first found about 2 years go. Had a biopsy and it was benign. Its slightly noticeable to the eye but very noticeable upon touch. Ive been experiencing the following:

sudden mood swings/depression
lump in throat after eating
coughing
shoulder and neck pain (mostly around my clavicle)
heart palpitations
headaches

Was recently diagnosed as Bi-polar 2 (BP2) for the mood and depression symptoms. Ive since started on a medicine for the BP and Im wary of trying it since I know thyroid problems can exhibit symptoms of BP, but at the same time, my endocrinologist said my last 2 thyroid test levels were normal so he feels the dx of BP is correct. The BP med has several unpleasant side effects. I have an appt for a thyroid ultrasound on May 10th. Id hate to not take the BP med only to find out I should have been and vice versa. Help! Anyone else been in this fast-sinking boat?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: Thyroid Problem or Bi-Polar

Welcome Kc to the group! Do you have your tsh and t3, t4 levels? that would help us to figure things out. Having a goiter and your symptoms doesn't sound like " normal " thyroid function. If in fact you do have thyroid and or hashi's that would explain your bp and bipolar issues!!! I don't know if you are on any other meds but if so, they too, have those side effects. I think a lot of people are just handed out a diagnosis of "bi polar" by doctors, it seems to let them off the hook. These are all symptoms of something not working, you need to find the cause and hopefully not add med's to make more issues down the line. I had the same words thrown at me, depression, anxiety, bipolar and got so fed up demanded full testings, voila. Quit all meds, as pain meds, nerve pain meds, sleep meds - all made me get worse from side effects, withdrawal was hell too. You could still have Hashi's with "normal" tsh levels, autoimmune testing should be done, thyroid antibodies. Good luck!!!
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcf71 View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post to the Thyroid board. Im glad its here!

I have a goiter on my thyroid and it has increased in size since it was first found about 2 years go. Had a biopsy and it was benign. Its slightly noticeable to the eye but very noticeable upon touch. Ive been experiencing the following:

sudden mood swings/depression
lump in throat after eating
coughing
shoulder and neck pain (mostly around my clavicle)
heart palpitations
headaches

Was recently diagnosed as Bi-polar 2 (BP2) for the mood and depression symptoms. Ive since started on a medicine for the BP and Im wary of trying it since I know thyroid problems can exhibit symptoms of BP, but at the same time, my endocrinologist said my last 2 thyroid test levels were normal so he feels the dx of BP is correct. The BP med has several unpleasant side effects. I have an appt for a thyroid ultrasound on May 10th. Id hate to not take the BP med only to find out I should have been and vice versa. Help! Anyone else been in this fast-sinking boat?

A good PDOC will not prescribe bipolar meds without checking your thyroid first AND keeping a good check on it to be sure it is not being affeced by your meds.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

kcf71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious2013 View Post
A good PDOC will not prescribe bipolar meds without checking your thyroid first AND keeping a good check on it to be sure it is not being affeced by your meds.
I totally agree. But this is how things played out:

I've been seeing an endocronologist who has been monitoring my thyroid/goiter and my TSH levels have always been in the normal range. This may have changed since the goiter has grown since the last batch of testing. I'm having more blood work and an ultrasound of the thyroid. In the interim, I was so desperate to get relief from the BP symptoms that I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed BP med. This was before I put 2 +2 together and realized it may by the thyroid imitating BP symptoms, plus, my endo felt that it was ok to start the BP med since my last 2 TSH tests were normal. He may feel differently after this next batch of bloodwork/ultrasound.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

kcf71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
Welcome Kc to the group! Do you have your tsh and t3, t4 levels? that would help us to figure things out.
Yes, all was in the normal range. I'm wondering if I could have Hashimoto's even with normal levels?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

KC, yes you could have hashi's with normal labs. Also, what the majority of doctors call "normal" are not!!! I think a lot of people have this and are not treated correctly. It wouldn't hurt to get checked, you might have to push a bit for that test, maybe even say there is hashi's in your family, that might spark them to test you. But after all my issues with problems and not diagnosed, it took my insistance to a "shrink" to finally get tested! good luck!
Hysterectomy

Closed Thread