It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Cytology Report, what do you think?

Here's my report from last wks fna:
Two out of seven smears show many small clusters of reactive follicular cells with Hurthle cell metaplasia and crushed lymphocytes in a hemorrhagic background. There is no papillary configuration or specific nuclear atypia.

Comments: suggest serologic work-up for Hashimotos' thyroiditis.

Does this mean I am in the clear? The only thing the endo said was a follow-up in 4 months. No malignant cells identified.
Solitary right lower thyroid 1.0 cm nodule is noted.

Hope he is correct? cj
Hysterectomy

Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
(female)

crystalhunt1517 HB User
Re: Cytology Report, what do you think?

Sounds almost like my report, my endo said its benign, but has the hurthle cells as well. I am confused now as well .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I'm a bit concerned now. My endo's office sd because of the "atypia" remark that means less likely to be cancer. Well, I'm not too thrilled with having those cells in there from what I've read. So, I left a message at a surgeons office, well known, in Boston and hope to be able to fax my reports to him for his opinion. I read that there is no 100% way to detect cancer in hurthle cells until its cut out and discected. I sure don't want to go back and forth every few months not knowing, to be have more us's and possible biopsies. Hope I can talk with this head honcho in Boston, that should ease my mind a bit. Is hurthle cell kinda rare, can't find too much info on it? or do a lot of people get them?
Hysterectomy

Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Hurthle cell, in terms of thyroid cancer is pretty rare, it's slightly less "well differentiated" as pappillary and follicular, and if it spreads, a tiny bit more challenging to treat (but in early stages, treated exactly the same).

It used to be considered a "variant" of follicular thyroid cancer. In the case of follicular, you also can't tell if a nodule with follicular cells is benign or cancerous until you have surgery to determine if it was encapsulated or not (if not, cancer, if it is encapsulated benign).

There are benign hurthle cells, but sometimes when surgeons see it, since they can't tell for sure (of course, depending upon the pathology report), they recommend removal, not just of the lobe, but the entire thyoid, because if it is hurthle, they must prevent it from spreading.

You still have amazing chances for this being nothing, but Boston has great hospitals, doctors, and you should take advantage of it, and make sure you are doing the right thing by waiting.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Reece for your help! So, most people dont' get Hurthle cells on biopsies? the fact that they are showing has me concerned Do you know what "reactive follicular cells " means? with Hurthle cell metaplasia. How about the "crushed lymphocytes" any idea about that? I think this endo didn't know for sure and thinks wait 4 months and if it grows-surgery, probably taking the high hopes it will shrink and be done with it. But I sure don't want to go thru 4 months with an agressive type cancer if it is! I bet that's why he didn't speak with me directly had his nurse be the go between. urgh! Yes, hoping the Boston doctor calls me back tomorrow! I've read great reviews on him, Dr. Gaz.
Hysterectomy

Closed Thread