It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
Hot nodules,cold nodules and tpo at 916, What's Up?

Hi folks, Im new at this and find it very confusing. My blood labs were all normal except the TPO is 916. I have cold nodules and hot nodules. The larger cold nodules has suspicious cells (fna). I am usually tired (feels like super relaxed), my goiter seems to be getting more visible, losing hair, very forgetful, my tongue feels thick, heart palpitations and it is much harder to lose weight (I used to be able to). I attributed all these symptoms to aging. I am 42. Can I be my old self again? Any similar experiences or advice would be appreciated. Lesarosi

Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hot nodules,cold nodules and tpo at 916, What's Up?

If all your bloodwork was normal except for antibodies, you wouldn't be having all those symptoms. Whatever the levels are, I would bet the boat they aren't "normal" for you. For some stupid reason, MDs don't understand that no one will feel well when their levels aren't at the one place within the range where they need it to be. If your T4 and T3 levels are at the lower end of their ranges, even if barely within it, they are almost definitely not high enough to meet your needs, and that's why you feel so poorly. If you have a copy of that bloodwork and care to share it with the board, we can tell you what your MD is probably missing.

You definitely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and your thyroid is dying... if it hasn't gone kaput already. You can find good MDs who know that, and that you don't have to wait for your bloodwork to go out of range before they can treat it. You can be helped right now.

It's not your age... It's your thyroid! A good book for someone who needs a diagnosis confirmed - Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Dr. Stephen Langer. Also good - Living Well With Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hello Midwest1, Thank you for responding. My T4 is .99, TSH is 3.181, TPO AB is 916, Triiodothyronine,free,serum is 2.8. When my results came back I asked how the antibodies were and my endo responded "they are ok." And continued on to a different topic. When I got home it bothered me to not know the numbers so I had her office help mail it to me. Boy, was I surprised! You sound very knowlegeable. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh my yes... That settles it. Your T4/T3 levels are at the very bottom of typical US lab ranges. Your body isn't getting the hormone it needs, and it's screaming for more.

Demand treatment now. If you don't get anywhere with that doctor, I urge you to find a better one.

Please let us know what happens, ok?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hi Midwest1, What kind of medications would typically be prescribed to remedy this situation? I Have an appointment with a surgeon April 30. My endo thinks I should have the suspicious cold nodule (right lobectomy)removed and possibly ablate the hot ones with radioactive iodine. She thinks that might help save at least some of my thyroid. Do you know if it is easier to regulate meds after surgery with a partial thyroid or starting from scratch with the whole thing gone? I want to feel normal as soon as possible. From what I've read some people bounce around with their meds for quite a long time. I hope it's not that hard.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The "medication" - which really isn't so much a "medication" as it is a duplicate of the hormone your gland would make if it could - will be a lifelong, daily dose of T4 and/or T3 hormone. You need that now, whether you have surgery to remove all or part of your gland or not. You are now deficient in the hormones that carry out every metabolic process in your body. Apparently, the endo you're seeing isn't aware of that. I find that very scary, but it isn't the first time I've seen it reported here.

Those TPO antibodies that you have have been killing your thyroid gland in dribs and drabs for years. The whole gland you have now isn't getting the job done now, becaues it's dead. There is absolutely no point in trying to save any portion of it. It's just my lay opinion... but I don't think much of an endo who considers it a good idea to save part of a dead gland and who believes that bit will suddenly resurrect itself and start working.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably want the entire gland removed, because of those suspicious nodules, and because the partial dead gland will serve no purpose. I would only agree to radiation if pathology proved the nodules to be cancerous. I would never agree to radiation to kill part or all of the gland for any reason other than thyroid cancer. But that's me. I just would like you to really educate yourself about what that entails should you seriously consider it.

Supplying thyroid hormone in pill form can be easy, or it can be hell. It all depends on the expertise and patient consideration of the doctor who prescribes it. You would be positively flabbergasted to know how often patients are left to suffer without enough of the right kind of replacement hormones because of MD ignorance. It doesn't have to happen, and I try to make it my mission to let patients know it doesn't have to, and that they have options.

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Closed Thread