It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

lexi7777 HB User
Question Are all my symptoms related to a hypothyroid?

I'm new to the board so forgive me if the answer is already here somewhere. For a few months I've had severe palpitations (especially at night) and was told by Dr. I had extra heart beats and slightly underactive thyroid. Instructed to have a stress test but before that could happen I ended up in the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. Extreme heaviness and pains across my chest. Hospital said I had PVC (premature ventricular contractions) and also underactive thyroid TSH 9.31 (0.27 - 4.20)mIU/ML -
T uptake 1.08 (0.80 - 1.30)TBI.
Doctor and hospital say palpitations and PVC not related. This board seems to have better answers than the medical profession. What do you think?

Last edited by lexi7777; 04-17-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

Curious2013 HB User
Re: Are all my symptoms related to a hypothyroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi7777 View Post
I'm new to the board so forgive me if the answer is already here somewhere. For a few months I've had severe palpitations (especially at night) and was told by Dr. I had extra heart beats and slightly underactive thyroid. Instructed to have a stress test but before that could happen I ended up in the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. Extreme heaviness and pains across my chest. Hospital said I had PVC (premature ventricular contractions) and also underactive thyroid TSH 9.31 (0.27 - 4.20)mIU/ML -
T uptake 1.08 (0.80 - 1.30)TBI.
Doctor and hospital say palpitations and PVC not related. This board seems to have better answers than the medical profession. What do you think?
Interesting! So the doctor is saying that a palpitation and PVCs are not the same thing? I know I have PVCs and they have been getting much worse lately. I have a "normal" thyroid except for all the nodules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

lexi7777 HB User

Also that thyroid problem is not related to the palpitations.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Can't say 100% for certain, because all thyroid symptoms can be caused by other things as well; but with a TSH as high as yours, it's safe to say both probably are related to hypoT. Mine were. Chest heaviness and discomfort were my first important symptoms of hypoT, and they landed me in the ER as well. They've disappeared since my dose has been optimized. In my case, they were definitely related to my hypoT.

As you move along in treatment, you will be truly amazed at how much MDs don't know about this disorder.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
(female)

lexi7777 HB User

Still have not started on the Levothyroxin. Considering going the natural way. Any suggestions or comments on if I should attempt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Can't say 100% for certain, because all thyroid symptoms can be caused by other things as well; but with a TSH as high as yours, it's safe to say both probably are related to hypoT. Mine were. Chest heaviness and discomfort were my first important symptoms of hypoT, and they landed me in the ER as well. They've disappeared since my dose has been optimized. In my case, they were definitely related to my hypoT.

As you move along in treatment, you will be truly amazed at how much MDs don't know about this disorder.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
(male)

mandarintje HB User
Re: Are all my symptoms related to hypo?

I know that hypothyroidism can lead to anemia which can certainly lead to irregular heart beat. I had that, and my doctor thought I had experienced a heart attack at some stage because of the irregular rhythm. But valves were undamaged.

The natural route, if you can figure that out then great. But I personally am doing great on synthetic T3 & T4, but my diet is very natural. I think you have to make compromises where it's sensible to do so. I'd rather take synthetic hormones than hormones from dessicated animal thyroid (I'm vegetarian) for example.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your thyroid has completely failed. There is nothing "natural" that will fix it now. You must replace the hormone that it can no longer make from a pill. This is the same scenario as a diabetic whose pancreas has failed; she has to take insulin intravenously. There is no herb or magic bullet that will replace the insulin/thyroid hormone that is needed.

Good news is that the thyroid hormone you need is an exact duplicate of that which your gland would make if it could. It isn't a chemical concoction that alters natural body function the way statins, allergy meds, or even toenail fungus treatments do. Thyroid hormone is about as "natural" as it gets... and you must have it.

My advice is to educate yourself as much as you can from reputable, published sources. Then gather "in the trenches" advice from boards like this one.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
(female)

lexi7777 HB User

Good point!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
(female)

lexi7777 HB User

Have a lot of thinking to do....Thanks for your advice!

Closed Thread