It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

dhfini HB User
Unhappy Please Help

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on my condition. I was diagnosed as Hypo in June and was placed on .137 of Synthroid. I was low normal but my dr. said he would treat the patient not the lab work. I was in a constant stupor, felt drunk all day, fatigued, physically ill in heat, headaches, achy joints, acne, itchy welts all over, NO memory, no sex drive, heart palpitations,panic/anxiety, mood swings(terrible), tingling hands and feet, inability to tolerate exercise! This went on for almost 2 years and all my family drs told me it was in my head and that I need antidepressants. I tried them, but they didn't work.

I finally got so bad I thought that I was dying, I was afraid to go to bed b/c I didn't think I would wake up. I called my sister at work and told her, she was so scared she was telling the girls at her bank about it. One girl fought for 4 years with similar symptoms and called me herself and told me to fight to get into her endocrinologist. Which I did and was diagnosed. at that point I felt great b/c I knew I wasn't crazy and finally someone believed me, problem is he is 3 hours away from me, and no one closer!

My problem now is that my tingling hands and feet are back, I am gaining weight (22 lbs) since I have been on the synth. My acne is cystic now, headaches are back as are palpatations. My doseage was lowered from .137 to .125, I was diagnosed with asthma and put on advair which is great to breath!

I had blood work done a week ago today, so I won't get my values for a few more days, they keep loweing my dosage but I almost feel that they should be upppppping it. Except for the heart palps, I feel low again. UGH

Any insight would be great.

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Please Help

I suspect you may have Hashimoto's or a side order of adrenal dysfunction going on. When you get a copy of your blood work, post it here. We can help point you where you need to go. If you haven't been tested for Hashimoto's do it.

Also depending on the Ft3 and Ft4 levels more testing may be needed as well.

I am glad that you found help in getting diagnosed. It is a rough road.

MG

Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

dhfini HB User

I appreciate your response. I forgot to mention that I fought with HEAVY periods even after a uteran ablation in may of 05! They lasted 10-14 days and I would have onle 3-7 days off in between!! I was finally put on the Nuva ring, which completely fixed that problem! I tried to go off of the nuva ring when on synth, to see if that was fixing the periods, but no, still need the nuva. Do you think I will get a normal period if I can get this nasty Thyroid under controll?? I am only 30! I feel like I am 80 and my poor children have to suffer for it. I want to enjoy life with my 3 and 4 year olds!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off of me having found this site!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I am 32 and have a 5 year old. I want a second one.. but we are still trying to get my thyroid health fixed.

You need antibodies run. If you have Hashimoto's it can be passed on to your children. It may have been working on you children's thyroids sin the womb. There is an 80% familial dominance in mother to daughter AI transfer. So get a TPOAb and TGAb run for you and your children's sake.

The adrenal's can be picked up on by the Ft3 and FT4 ratio. So I will beed to see those first before I can give additional advice. Many hypoTs can reach a psuedo normal state. The closer to normal you get the better things will become.

MG

Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

dhfini HB User

ok they told me that everything looked good. They tested me for hyper and it was good and for Hashis and it was neg. She told me that I'm not showing adrenal symptoms but that my labs were good this time

TSH 0.032
FT4 1.32
FT3 3.43

She said that this was normal? Not sure what to do next.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
(female)

dhfini HB User

I went off of my synthroid to see what happens. Maybe I will feel better?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TSH 0.032
FT4 1.32
FT3 3.43

Your just on Synthroid and not on a T3 supplement like cytomel? If this is the case your body is telling you, you are hyperT.

With out knowing your exact range I can only get specific on the FT3. FT3 tends to have the standard range of 2.30 - 4.20. SO this would put you at:
[3.43-2.3]/[4.2-2.3]*100 = 59.47% This is good right in optimal range.

The FT4 ranges flux because the analytical technique varies. A more common range is 0.8-1.8. I will use this for an example.

[1.32-.8]/[1.8-.8]*100 = 52% This is just in optimal range as well. If the upper limit for your range is lower than 1.8.. your percentage will be higher. Optimal range is 50 - 80 % for 85% of the populace. Some go a bit lower.. others higher. You are balanced in the FTs this indicates that you most likely do not have an adrenal issue. It is odd that your TSH is soo low given your Ft levels... Have they thoroughly checked your pituitary function? Have you had a recent MRI? At the levels you are at given your dosage.. I think you need medication. I think that you may need to try a different brand of T4 supplement. Your balance shows that you do not need a T3 supplement.

How did your MD determine you did not have Hashimoto's? Did you have a biopsy and they confirm no tissue distruction of the thyroid?

Also you need to look into your blood chemistry:
Low Magnesium can cause Heart issues
Low ferritin, B12, vit D can cause bone issues and fatigue

I wish I could be of more help.
MG

Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
(female)

dhfini HB User

I wish I could be of more help.
MG[/QUOTE]

No, you are of great help. Just talking about it helps, I don't understand any of this, other than how I feel.

They only did blood tests, no MRI, no anything. I guess they tested for antibodies. Do you think that going off of my meds is a terrible thing to do? My acne is already starting to dry up, why would that be?

Thank you so much for everything

Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you have something like hashimoto's your blood work can be all over the place and you will have hyperT phases along with hypoT phases. This is a spiralling process that goes on til the thyroid is completed obliterated by your own immune system. Also you may be one of the few that need to hang out in the 40-50% region of normal to feel good. This is fine as well. Cutting meds cold turkey is going to set you for a hypoT spike big time in my opinion,

Most MDs will not test for Hashimoto's unless asked or a family history of thyroid issues is present. AI's are genetically dominant, thyroid AIs and genetically dominant in females. So if you have on it either came from your mom or your dad's mom in most cases. If you have Hashimoto's on one side and Graves on the other.. you can get both. It happens in my family all the time. So you need to be checked for your sake and the sake of your children.. or children's children. Do not expect them to run all the tests you need. You have to be proactive in your own care. You need to get them to give you copies of everything and keep up with it as well as your own symptoms logs.

The acne sounds more like a hormonal issue. But the joints and other issues sound hyperT/ Too much testosterone or estrogen. I went really hyperT. It didn't have bad acne as a side effect. I am not saying it isn't a possibility.. just that it didn't happen to me. Too much or a raise in thyroid hormone.. may have briefly stimulate a lagging reproductive system and get things back on line all at once. An abrupt restart of aspects of your reproductive system can cause a sudden flood of estrogen/progesterone and an increase in acne, cramps and oil production before settle down into a cycle. Cutting back the thyroid hormone will reduce the subsequent metabolic effects.. one of which being reduction of oil production in hair and skin. Dry brittle hair and skin is a sign of hypoT. It is an indicator of not enough natural hormones in your system. Cutting meds cold turkey is the quickest way to drive you into a hypoT state.

So I would stay on the meds.. just cut back the dosage. Go back to 125 mg or 112 mg. Check in 4 weeks where your levels are and keep a detailed symptom log in the process. How old are you? After 35 hypoT can trigger early menopause. This could be an issues as well. Make sure they check in 4 weeks time not just your Fts.. but your aldosterone, progesterone, testosterone, vit D, B12, ACTH, PTH, and DHEA sulfate levels. This will let you see how your pituitary gland and adrenal glands are dealing with increased hormonal production.

Another thing to look over all your natural supplements.. check for DHEA and any things that make you go, HUH? 10 mg is all the DHEA you need unless you are adrenal insufficient. If you take more than 10 mg a big side effect is acne.. severe acne. My fish oil has it in it and some multivitamins have it in it. Overall I am on 20 mg and since taking it I even have acne on my back! Unfortunately I need the 20mg, I am adrenal insufficient. So look on all your supplements what are you taking new. Look back 2 - 4 weeks from the time on acne onset. It takes time for your body to reboot and manifest these traits. Something may become evident.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-21-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
(female)

dhfini HB User

Wow you know so much! Thanks, I will keep posted how everything works out, you will never know how much you are helping people here, just getting some imput from people who have been through it is awesome.

I am 30 so not far from being pre-menopausal or so I feel. All of those tests that you mentioned were never run on me, ever. My gyno said that they would do hormone testing but I needed to quit all meds for 2 months, I was afraid to do that considering how crappy I feel when I bleed for 10-14 days HEAVY and have 7 days at the most off in between! Then to not have the synthroid in me at the same time would be like digging my own grave I think.

Thanks
dawn

Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had to fight for my mom and her four sisters and now I am digging in myself. If I can shorten others suffering well then mine has a purpose. Same with my mom and her sisters now that they are no longer ashamed of their condition they are able to talk of the last 13 - 20 years that they have been fighting for optimal care. WHY? Why should you have to wait and struggle so long? It is just horrendous that we have to go through this on our own and repeat the mistakes of those that have come before.

My mom was depressed and ashamed of her condition. Her MDs cut her loose and did nothing for her for 10 YEARS after she had had a partial thyroidectomy! This made me furious. She would still be suffering under the assumption that that is all she deserves and will get if my Hashimoto's hadn't reared its head and i hadn't badgered her and her MDs for records and properly documented family thyroid history. Now at lest she has a new MD and is being cared for... We all go through this.. how we go through it depends on us. Here we can go through it together and learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others.

The biggest mistake we make is not making the MD earn our respect and prove their knowledge. I now go in with a recorder and pad and pen. I ask my questions listen and note the answers, correct errors and pull out the proper published articles. I let them know who I am and make sure that they understand I am a person not a brainless female hypochondriac. Coming in armed with information and research can change how the treat you. Doctors and people treat other people poorly because most let them do it. If you make them listen to you.. then you might get somewhere.. however you have to know when to cut and run. Many MDs wear blinders and you can not help but walk away or waste your money and time.

Synthroid is part of you and you can not quit it now. The GYN shouldn't ask you to quite that replacement hormone. Birth control pills and certian hormonal/steriodal precursor supplements must be cut out. But if you have adrenal insufficiency or a deficient thyroid your body will become more abnormal by ceasing your meds. I am certian that the GYN was talking about other medications, not your thyroid meds. They can run the tests I metioned with out any alteration to your diet or medications.

MG

Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tyblossom,

Interesting I can not tolerate any artificial sweetner or even splenda. They all taste horrible to me and make me feel blah. So I go with honey and the real sweet stuff. You just need to use moderation with it.

MG

Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
(female)

dhfini HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyblossom View Post
I just wanted to add that I have Hashimoto's and have numbness and tingling in my hands, arms and feet. I thought I'd stop using Sweet N Low and it's helped a ton. So maybe if your using a SF sweetener you could stop and see if that helps you too.
WOW didn't think that something like that would make one sick, but I'm in the clear, I'm a hot tea with honey freak, and ABSOLUTELY dispise the artificial sweeteners! I will pass that info on to my mom tho since she suffers from alot of my symptoms but will not fight to find out what is wrong with her, She is always using splenda and things like it.

Thanks everyone.
Dawn

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
(female)

dhfini HB User

I've been off of the L-thyroxine for a few days now and am starting to get the muscle cramps, tiredness, and drunk feeling back.

I'm noticeably not as bloated, and my acne has gotten better, but does that out weigh the other symptoms? Probably not, this sucks, I was hoping I wouldn't notice a difference, but it does just reinforce my fight that something was wrong with me for the past 3 years and 3 family dr's later and 2 endo's I was finally put on meds, why then would I take myself off???

Crazy I guess.

Should start them back up now. UGH

Closed Thread