It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Hurthle cells, feel better now

Just spoke with my endo who did the biopsy. He assured me the cells are not malignant. He sd some people with thyroiditis get these, some get them in nodules. The fact that they are "metaplasia" and not "displasia", rules out cancer. It does need to be followed, for size increase. He feels there are no flags otherwise. I also got a call back last night from the Boston doctor, funny story, I left a message with the answering service that I wanted a "consult". I think he got an "urgent" mix up and so he called me! I was shocked to hear his voice! caught me off guard, him too. After a few minutes he got very defensive and relized he was speaking to an "unkown". It was a very strange conversation, and he insinuated I was getting "free" advise etc. I'm not the one who screwed things up! Anyway, he refused to discuss my history without seeing me, I agreed! he did rattle off pretty much the same feed back of my biopsy as my endo did. Why can't people just "admit" when they make a mistake! urgh, I feel bad he made the call but just fess up when mistakes are made. Now if I need him in the future it makes things a bit uncomfortable. The "doctor" saga continues... cj
Hysterectomy

Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Hurthle cells, feel better now

You should not worry about the silly doctor incident, and just feel better that things seem good. The surgeon, if you want him in the future, will certainly forget the entire incident......if it's a good surgeon, he has so many patients in and out every week, he will never remember. And it's good that you got free advice!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

crystalhunt1517 HB User

Hey there, I am glad the endo confirmed it for you. My endo also says mine are benign but my biopsy doesnt say metaplasia or displasia, so I dunno?!?! I have a 2nd opinion w/ an ENT on Tuesday so we'll see what he says. I think I am going for surgery either way! Good luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey there Crystal! Good luck with the 2nd opinion! Let me know what he says, hope you get more clarification of the biopsy too. My endo sd not to go for surgery, but I'm with you on that if this is going to be an ongoing issue, take it out! For now, I'm going to hang on til the 4 month re check and then decide?? The timing is tough right now, my house is on the market and if it sells, I'm off to Fl! Keep me posted, take care, cj
Hysterectomy

Old 04-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

crystalhunt1517 HB User

Kindspirit I just found this online, and it makes me feel better, like maybe they can tell the difference.

The ability to differentiate benign from malignant Hürthle cell thyroid neoplasms has provoked considerable controversy. This has significant therapeutic implications, since some have advocated total thyroidectomy for all of these lesions. The principal objectives of this study were: (a) to determine whether the histologic diagnosis of Hürthle cell adenoma could be reliably made, (b) to quantitate the risk of inappropriately labelling a Hürthle cell cancer as an adenoma, and (c) to ascertain whether the type of operative procedure affected the clinical course.
We reviewed 272 patients who had undergone thyroid resection for benign Hürthle cell neoplasms at the Mayo Clinic from 1960 to 1980. All pathologic sections were rereviewed. Postoperative follow-up was available on 233 patients (86%), with a mean of 8.9 years. A minimum of 5 years of follow-up was obtained on 10% of the patients. Nodules ranged in size from 0.3 to 11 cm; 195 (55%) were 2 cm or larger. Surgical resection was limited to one side in 137 (50%) patients and involved both sides in 135 patients. No total thyroidectomies were performed. Evidence of malignancy—a local recurrence—developed in only 1 patient, and she died of unrelated causes. None of the 272 patients died of thyroid cancer, and none showed evidence of metastases. Our data is in agreement with most published reports, with only 6 (0.9%) of 642 reported patients being diagnosed incorrectly. These tumors can be accurately separated into benign and malignant. Routine total thyroidectomy for Hürthle cell adenomas is not justified.

Still though mine is coming out!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey thanks Crystal!! that is very interesting. I still think I'm going to wait for the 4 month recheck. If the nodule has grown pretty sure I will opt to take it out! if its shrunk, well, obviously not cancer. I just wish my levels would get normal. I keep going into "hyper" stages, they must still be way off. The Hurthle deal really is of concern, if they showed up in all Hashi patients I wouldn't be worried, but why us? So 4 months for me, let me know how you make out!!!! hugs, cj
Hysterectomy

Closed Thread