It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

Beccapooh HB User
Difficulty swallowing and tons more.....

I'm new here and there's no way that I want to bore y'all with all my ongoing issues, but, there's some indication that I might have a Thyroid problem, possibly even Hashimoto's. I'm still waiting to get my blood results back to find out anything for sure.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble swallowing? I've not been able to swallow solid food normally for over three years now. I've already been DX with Putnam-Dana Syndrome (AKA- Subacute Degeneration of the Spinal Cord Secondary to Pernicious Anemia). My body can't process B-12. I got deathly ill and it still took them nearly three years to figure it out. I was told that I was crazy, etc.

During this long process I had my Thyroid tested, maybe five years ago and then again maybe two years ago and my TSH was 4.6, one of the others (I honestly can't find the test or remember which is was) either T3 or T4 was low, but not crazy low. At the time, I had every symptom of DeQuervain's Disease. I'm sure that I was flipping from hyper to hypo and back again rather quickly. But, that's neither here nor there.

I would love to know:

1) If you have had trouble swallowing, did you end up being DX with Hashi's?

2) Could you feel your own thyroid and "tell" that it was enlarged? My husband was a nurse for 15 years and I'm thinking that maybe he could try to feel it for me and see.

3) Once you got treated for your thyroid issues, did your swallowing return?

Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate it.

Rebecca

(I'll post more once I know for sure that I belong here....)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Difficulty swallowing and tons more.....

What took them sooo long to find the pernicious anemia? Did they not ever look at your RBCs and see the problem?? Of course, we've all run into our share of incompetent doctors!

I am not familiar with swallowing problems--there might be others here who might have experienced that and will help you. My first thought is to do the swallow test in front of the mirror: Take a sip of water, and in front of a mirror, swallow while you watch your adam's apple area. It should rise, then go back down. I'm thinking if yours does not rise, maybe it's possible the thyroid is "grabbing" something and hindering your swallowing ability. That is just a thought and by no means do I actually think that is diagnostic. It's just an idea. I've done that test off/on during my disease process, but mine always rose and fell.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

Interesting. I tried that and it seems to me, that my adam's apple is moving. I can feel it rise and fall.

Another funny thing is, if I turn my head to the right when I swallow, it helps a little bit. I mean, I still need to wash the food down with water, but, it really does help.

There's also a possibilty that I have Sjogren's Disease. A lot of the symptoms cross over from one Autoimmune to the other, as you all know. I guess, that's why it took them so long.

I didn't give y'all enough information, really. I was dx with Myasthenia Gravis first, then MS (My Mom has MS and I also have lesions on my brain, but, apparently I only have 6 and you need 9 to be officially DX with MS.) Then UN-diagnosed with both. I was put on anti-depressants, no help. I received IVIG treatment and plasmapherisis when I was so sick I could hardly walk, talk, breathe or hold my own urine. I slowly started to feel better but, then relapsed. I'm doing MUCH better with the B-12 injections, but, I'm still not "right".

Of course, there's more to it than that, even, but, like I said, I feel badly having y'all read all my long drawn out story and then in the end, I might not even have a Thyroid problem. I felt horrible after I posted on the Myasthenia Gravis and MS sites and then was UN-DX with them. I know that all our time and energy is so valuable and precious.

Thanks for already helping me!!!

Bec

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

How long have you been on the B-12?? How low were your levels at diagnosis? With the thyroid, your TSH is high enough to treat(along with your low T4). Good luck on finding a decent doctor that will recognize that and actually treat it?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

I've been on B-12 for about 9 months now. My level was only 204. That was the problem. According to the lab, it isn't LOW until 200. So, due to that lovely fact, no one would treat me. My PCP, who's known me for 10 years and KNOWS that I'm not full of S*&T, finally said one day "Hey, let's just try to raise that B-12 level and see what happens?" He said that it can't hurt me and even on the actual lab result it states that 1% of people with B-12 lower than 400 will experience Neurological and Physical difficulties (DUH??). I'm still having to take a shot every week or my levels bottom out again. For me, personally, 200 is just too low. Almost immediatly, I started to recover the function of my body back. I had been unable to speak clearly (I sounded much like a hearing impaired person) and my swallowing is SOMEWHAT better, but, still not normal.

I had so many symptoms that I was actually told that I had "too many symptoms to even treat". This was what they used to explain the fact that I was "clearly not mentally stable and should really see a Psych doctor." Basically, no one could be that sick and see 15 doctors and still not have a diagnosis. (According to them!) I think it was their way of making themselves feel better for not being able to figure it out!

I know that I'm better and I am grateful. I'd just like to go the last mile and get as close to normal as I can be, you know?

I still have tons of symptoms/problems that aren't going away. I've narrowed it down to either a Thyroid issue, Lupus or Sjorgren's. I also have DX Diverticulitis, Morton's Neuroma, severe spinal arthristis along with a subchondral cyst on my L5 vertebrae. I also experience severe kidney pain alternating with kidney numbness (??). I'm light sensitive, noise sensitive and it's very difficult to touch me, because it's hurts too much.

I know, I'm a mess. Aren't we all??

Bec

Last edited by Beccapooh; 04-18-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Well, you're lucky your GP thought to go ahead and try the B-12. Gotta give him credit for doing that much! I've read on other anemia boards that sometimes it takes people with severe symptoms a year or more to feel somewhat normal, or at least tons better. With you having so much other stuff going on, at least one area can improve. Ask around from people in your state to see if anyone recommends a decent dr. that knows what it takes to treat thyroid problems.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
(male)

savatom HB User
Thumbs up Re: Difficulty swallowing and tons more.....

I'm waiting to see an endocrinologist for possible Hashimotos myself. I have trouble swallowing too. I have sleep apnea, my throat is always sore in the morning and I'm ALWAYS catching a cold, hacking up phlem, etc.

They did a UPPP back in 2004 but my sleep apnea came back around 2006. I kept getting boots thrown at me by roommates in Iraq. Lucky for them I got moved to a night shift and slept alone during the day, free to snore in peace. But my sleep hasn't been worth a damn in years. Now my health is starting to fail.

Good luck.

---- Tom in Yuma, AZ ------
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Sleep Apnea
Depression

Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

What other symptoms do you have? Tell me about your swallowing, if you don't mind? Is it with solids and fluids? Just one or the other? Did it start suddenly or gradually over time? What other Hashi symptoms do you have?

I'm so curious, right?

Bec

Old 04-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

I too have trouble swallowing..for me I can definitely feel the thyroid..if you can't count yourself lucky. I choke on food, I choke on vitamins, pills, things that are so small..its ridiculous...it feels like sometimes I can inhale, but can't exhale..air gets trapped behind it, it feels like food will get stuck..Going to the dentist is a nightmare, can't put my head down low, can't breathe..pain radiates down my back and neck from the swelling..the pain in my throat can be extremely excruciating...for me regular cardio exercise, limiting dairy/calcium type foods are HUGE for me..as soon as I eat anything with dairy..my thyroid swells up like a balloon. I found this out from my Hubby's co-worker who has an underactive thyroid...she told me to eat dairy and see what happens, I noticed immediately she was right and have carefully watched how much dairy I eat, though being a woman and needing high calcium is so hard...its a catch 22...I can't eat it cause my thyroid kills me horribly, yet my teeth have taken a backseat..so I now included vitamin D in high doses to help with my teeth. Just know you aren't the only one. Good Luck and God Bless!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

See, here's what I don't quite know or understand.....how do I know what my thyroid feels like? I've been sick for so long now, that everything on my body feels "normal" to me. I can tell you that I can't breathe if I turn my head to the left while lying down. I haven't been able to for a long time now. I also have to turn my head to the right to be able to swallow at all. So, to me, that sounds like (maybe) the left side is swollen or enlarged (if my thyroid IS in fact enlarged, I would think that my symptoms are indicative of the swelling being on the left side, no??).

I get a pretty serious sore throat, too. It feels like I'm becoming sick all the time, yet I never do. My right ear has severe pain and the glands on the right side of my neck have been swollen the entire course of whatever is wrong with me. I'm cold most of the time, but heat really seems to swell things up for me. My ear hurts worse, my throat becomes more sore, my glands fatten up, etc.

I have a ton of 'flu like' symptoms. I'll get random fevers with no other 'symptoms' of a cold. (Other than my sore throat, which I forgot to state feels like it's only on the right side of my throat, too.) I've gone to see my PCP so many times for these symptoms, to no avail, that he's finally told me that it's just my body and to 'save my money and just stay home'. He can't help me.

I'm trying to get a copy of the report from a CT scan that I had of my glands in my neck/throat. We were worried that I had lymphoma because they've been so enlarged for so long, continuously. Wouldn't that show/state if they saw something wrong/off with my thyroid? The only reason why I feel the need to 'double check' is that I've been told way too many times that something was 'normal' only to get the results myself and see that the truth is something else entirely. Do y'all think that a CT of the right side of my neck would (could) show a Thyroid enlargement?

Bec

Old 04-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
(female)

kpaints HB User

Hi all, I'm new here today and that's cause I'm scared. I have been hypo for over 30 years and tried almost all the meds but now on Armour 90mg. I have been on several antidepressants along with this over the years and have quit them all off and on. I just got off another one in the last 3 weeks, gradually. My emotions are right on the surface and I want to cry at the drop of a hat. Anyway,I have trouble swallowing or at least feel a lump in my throat all the time. I had an anxiety attack the other morning as I was falling back to sleep and felt I could not breathe. I suspect sleep apnea as this just happened again yesterday and I was scared to go to sleep as I live alone. I also had high blood pressure about 2 months ago but is is under control without drugd. Is all this related to my thyroid or am I falling apart? Thanks for any help...

Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hi, I have ad similar experience. I had a couple of episodes where I wake in the middle of the night and feel like I have quit breathing. Scary. I shrugged it off as a bad dream. I felt a lump when I swallowed, also. I shrugged it off as allergy season. I finally went for a physical. She sent me for an ultrasound and I have nodules on my thyroid. They cause the thyroid to become inflamed. After the ultrasound I had a FNA(cells removes from nodule with a needle-painless), I have suspicious cells. Then I had a Radioactive iodine uptake scan (raiu). It showed Two nodules that are not taking up iodine at all (cold Nodules) and a cluster of nodules that are hot and take up too much iodine. From what I understand MOST nodules are benign. I have an appt with a surgeon next week. Perhaps you should request an u ltrasound and see if there is anything 'lumpy' in there. Try not to be scared.

Closed Thread