It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

casey73 HB User
Post post graves - doc says normal levels but my body says otherwise

I would be most greatful if some of you could offer any advice. Thryrod radiated in 2001. SInce then hair has continued to become fine and sheds. I sarted on levoxyl at 50 whatever - felt awfull - found a dr who presribe armour thinking it would be better since its has t3. Anyway I have taken a million tests, most recently in 12/07 - the results anti bodies - normal, free t3-3.12, free t4 1.01, TSH 1.3, ferritin 57.80 - also most recently tested cortisol (saliva test)1.1 which I guess should be 3.7-9.5, DHEAS 1.0 (normal 2-23) Iodine - the results on I&I loading say 33 (anything less than 44 is low) and I&I saturation 65 (anything less than 90 is low) plus a host of hormone testing (estogen estrodial progesterone estradiol ofcourse low but I am 52 and clearly in menopause. I have hardly any testosterone. Sorry to be so wordy. My cholestrol is high but doc not concerned I guess I have heart palpitation occasionally. My big gripe is my hair and temp. Usually runs around 96. The other thing is my digestion. I am wondering if that may be the culprit. I take vitiamins, 5mg dheas 3/4 of 1 grain of armour. I wonder about enzymes, a little iron or iodine. I'm a wreck. Thanking you in advance for any advice

Last edited by casey73; 04-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: post graves - doc says normal levels but my body says otherwise

I don't know about all the other hormones, but I can tell you are taking far too little Armour. Average full replacement for women is about 120-150 mgs, not the 45 mgs you're taking. Some people need as much as 180 mgs, a few even more than that. You need full replacement, because you have no thyroid function of your own remaining. If you were taking the optimum dose for your body, your TSH would be suppressed below lab range... nowhere near as high as 1.3.

You should be talking yourself into a dose increase, yesterday already. If you can't get one, you ought to find a more cooperative doctor.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

casey73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I don't know about all the other hormones, but I can tell you are taking far too little Armour. Average full replacement for women is about 120-150 mgs, not the 45 mgs you're taking. Some people need as much as 180 mgs, a few even more than that. You need full replacement, because you have no thyroid function of your own remaining. If you were taking the optimum dose for your body, your TSH would be suppressed below lab range... nowhere near as high as 1.3.

You should be talking yourself into a dose increase, yesterday already. If you can't get one, you ought to find a more cooperative doctor.
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

casey73 HB User

[

Thank you so much for replying. I'm the idiot I guess that asked to take a little less since I started out at 1 gr. and my tsh was .04 and thought it shouldn't be surpressed and I would be in hyper range. Am I wrong? I have never been overwight but have gained 3-4 lbs recently and am so sluggish. I bet I could get my Dr. to increase it - she's pretty nice. Do you have a clue it can affect your digestion? Thank you so much. I'm glad I found this site.

Last edited by casey73; 04-18-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

TSH is completely irrelevent while taking Armour. My own TSH has never been higher than .02 since I've been taking my optimal dose. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone; and the T3 in the Armour suppresses it. That's OK, as long as the actual thyroid hormones, T4 and T3 are not excessively high. They are the hormones to monitor in order to find the optimal dose.

Unless your free levels of T4 and/or T3 exceed about 75% of their lab ranges, you have nothing to fear in regard to overmedication. Take what you need to get those levels to a minimum of 50% of their ranges, then watch for signs and symptoms of overmedication. Tweak the dose once you get to that center-range area.

I have no doubt you're undermedicated and that it's at least contributing to your digestive and other problems.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
(female)

casey73 HB User

Thanks midwest1 One more question. My t3 most recently was 3.12 and t4 1.01. They appear to be in 50% range aren't they? Everybody reacts differently I know but in your opinion would you say I should jump up gradually or just tell her to start me on say 90 mgs and take another lab in a month? Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My t3 most recently was 3.12 and t4 1.01. They appear to be in 50% range aren't they?
They would be less 50% within my lab's ranges. By my lab's ranges, FT4 would have to be at least 1.3 and FT3 at least 3.25.

It's important to know your lab's ranges in order to accurately interpret your tests. If you know them, please post again. Then we can tell you for sure.

Edit to add - I wouldn't advise increasing from 45 to 90 all at once. Small increments of 15 to 30 mgs every 4 to 6 weeks would be wiser.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-20-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
(female)

casey73 HB User

Here we go again... I asked for new labs since I was feeling ridiculously awful and here are the results which are puzzling to me.

TSH 3.14 (0.35 -5.60)
FT4 1.06 (0.58 -1.64)
FT3 3.17 (2.40 -4.20)

My 12/17/07 levels were

TSH 1.310
FT4 1.01
Ft3 3.12

I've been on 3/4 of a a grain of armour The TSH went way up which I thought from earlier posts should be on the low side but I wonder why the others didn't change much. I increased dose to 1 grain a feel a little better. In March i started taking some herbal thyroid support. Do you think that may have elevated the TSH. One other question, I did a saliva test in the morning cortisol was 1.1 and should be between 3.7-9.5. and I have low iodine levels as well. Will taking the ideal dose of armour help these levels? Anyway I talked my physician in to taking 1 grain of armour four 4 weeks then going up to 1 1/2 for 2 months. I'm wondering now if I should increase to just 1 1/4 grains after a month. It's hard to figure this stuff out. Any information is so much appreciated. My Dr. is willing but not too interested is symptoms since levels are normal range. Thank you........ ...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
(female)

casey73 HB User

Good morning:

See my earlier post of May 8th. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on recent labs. Also what can I do to boost cortisol levels. Sorry to be a nag. I increased Armour to 1 grain, thought I was feeling better but now starting to feel like I did before. I hate this but know than I'm not alone and am thankful for this site.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure what to make of a rising TSH when the FTs aren't moving at all, especially since you take Armour. It should be suppressing the TSH. But one thing's sure... You have plenty of room for a dose increase. Your plan to take 1 grain for 4 weeks, then up it to 1 1/4 seems reasonable. Check labs again after that trial.

A small dose of Cortef could be helpful for your low cortisol.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
(female)

casey73 HB User

Thanks so much for replying. Steady as she goes as they say. We'll see what the tests show in 3 months. I wonder if the lab may have misread the TSH. Who knows.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
(female)

casey73 HB User

I've increased the armour dose I am taking and have notice my eyes becoming so very dry and have had some nose bleeds. I thought I would be on the right track. Any ideas from anyone on what might be going on? Too much t3? I'm leaving on vacation in a couple weeks and would just as soon skip it than to deal with this you know what... I went from 3/4 to 1 grain - then last month they said to go to 1 1/2. I decided on my own to shave off a little before going up to 1 1/2. I'm sure if I call my Dr. she won't want to even do the labs for awhile. It's so wierd my finger nails became soft - I know its this crazy thyroid. There's so many smart people on this site I trust more the Dr's I paying good money to. Thanks.

Closed Thread