It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

minnmom HB User
Was hypo, now hyper?

My 21 year old daughter has been treated for hypothyroidism (Hasimotos) for 2 years. TSH 5.26, Thyroperoxidase ABY 715. Her TSH has been up and down the entire time.

Her TSH in Jan 08 was <0.01. Her synthroid was cut from 50 to 25. She was tested again in Mar 08 with results of <0.01. Her MD told her to stop taking the synthroid and see an Endocrinologist. We saw one and he said he suspected Graves Disease. He did blood tests and called 2 days later with the results. He says the tests indicate she does not have Graves Disease. She has the classic symptoms of Graves; heart palpitations, anxiety, hot all the time. After doing research on hyperthyroidism, I realize she has been having these symptoms for 9 months. We thought it was just anxiety and panic attacks. The one interesting thing is that after the testing in Jan, she GAINED 20 pounds in 5 weeks. Now the endo wants her to have an RAI scan. I have not read good things about that and am not sure she should do it. None of the research I have done has helped me understand any of this. Here are her most recent test results. Thanks for any help!!

TSH 0.05
T4, Free 2.0
T3, Total 241
Thyroglobulin Antibody Screen <1.8
TSI 1.1

Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

minnmom HB User
Re: Was hypo, now hyper?

TSH 0.05 (0.34-2.50)
T4, Free 2.0 (0.7-1.8)
T3, Total 241 (80-200)
Thyroglobulin Antibody Screen <1.8 (<4.0)
TSI 1.1 (<1.4)

Sorry, I just realized ranges are important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

There's a difference between a radioctive iodine scan and ablation. You've most likely been reading about ablation. The scan only uses a very tiny dose of radioactive iodine in order to measure the function of the thyroid and get a good picture of it. I'm not for ablation either but I have had 4 scans with no ill effects. A scan in your daughters case would be very, very helpful.

A negative TSI test does not totally rule out graves. There are a couple other obscure antibodies that can also be positive in graves. I suspect the endo is considering the possibility of toxic multinodular goiter and a scan will show that if it's there. Your daughters lab's clearly show that she is hyperthyroid. Weight gain isn't terribly unusual for hypers either but it mostly happens with the younger set.

It's terribly difficult to understand the thyroid when you're first starting out. I do hope they have prescribed some type of medication to help, either beta blockers or anti-thyroid meds? Being hyper myself, I know what kind of hell she's probably going thru and I don't know what I'd do without my meds. You sound like a wonderful mom in doing all this research to help her. You've also probably found about the best place to start. There's a lot of experience wandering around here. If you can talk your daughter into joining us, it might make her feel better knowing she's got people who understand what she's going thru. I first got real sick when I was about 23 and it was hard going it alone.

My suggestion would be for her to get the scan and get a copy of the actual report. Post the results here and we can give you a hand and help guide you thru this maze.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
(female)

minnmom HB User

Thanks for the help!!!

They actually have not prescribed any meds at this point. She was just at the endo for the first time last week. I won't go back to him. He accused her of abusing her thyroid meds to lose weight, after only seeing her once. She is not doing it. I have made an appointment to see a different endo, of course we couldn't get in for a month.

I would love to have her join the forum, but she has to finish out this semester of college. With all the physical symptoms, studying and working she is overwhelmed.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Look into Hashitoxicosis. She has Hashimoto's with out a doubt occasionally you can spawn off Graves too or vice versa. My mother and Aunt had both Graves and Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed just hashimoto's... but I started meds and went hypert real quick. I have went back to half meds.. but still have hyperT flares. it is common in Hashimoto's. It is scary and not fun. Here is some of my research and finding in this mess.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Look over this post and look into the Hashitoxicosis. In some cases only thyroid removal will help stabilize things and allow you to optimize. Now what about you or her grandmother's? Any thyroid issues? Have you checked? AIs are familial dependent in most cases. There is an 80&#37; chance of inheretence from a maternal carrier to a daughter and 20-40% from mom to son.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-21-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
(female)

minnmom HB User

Thanks for information MG. I will check into the Hashitoxicosis.

It is interesting that you should ask about my mom and I. My mom has been hypo for 40 years. She is 82.

After doing much online research about my daughter's condition, I checked my past thyroid test results. I have suspected I am hypo for years. My TSH has ranged from 3.77 to 4.91. My FT4 was 1.0 (0.7-1.8) and TPO was <10
(<35). Because of this my doctor chose not to treat me. I will be asking again, because I have many of the symptoms for hypo. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It sounds like you have it in your genes. Take your daughters positive Hashimoto's and proof of your mother's as well. You are technically hypoT with TSH levels that high yourself. You need a MD willing to treat you and who is up to date on all the latest information. Assuming you are through with menopause you are not going to need as much hormone replacement. Too much will hit your heart and such. But you are at <30&#37; on your T4 levels and there is no telling what your T3 levels are..

Good luck hunting for the one MD that is right for you. It can be a long drawn out process.

MG

Closed Thread