It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

ladyj1981 HB User
Hypothyroidism

I have Hypothyroidism, I have recently switched from Sythroid to Levoxyl. my previous doctor said that I should remain on sythroid and that I should not take the generic levothroxine , as I had been switched back and forth in the past, When I switched doctors I was switched back to levoxyl once again.

Is generic levothroxine less effective? Also I was wondering about other underlying problems due to hypothyroidism.

I do have hormonal issues, resulting in depression and weight gain. I tale cymbalta for my depression. Also I have severe Cystic Acne which I take Tetracycline for but I still get breakouts. I am pre-diabetic and I take Metformin, I have high blood pressure and I take Micardis HCT, and high cholesterol and I take Crestor. Do any of these medications when taken together loose their effectiveness of cause side effects?

Every time I go in for follow up blood work they say my medications are working but I still feel bad all the time. I have problems sleeping and I build up edema of my neck, throat, mouth, tongue, legs & feet. I am always lethargic and i feel like I need to sleep most of the time but this may also be a symptom of my depression.

I have only 1 kidney, at the age of 5 I was diagnosed with a wilms tumor. I have been in remission for 21 years now. The last time I had a urinalysis done they said I had high protein levels but nothing was ever followed up.

I feel like the doctors are missing something and that they think it's all in my head.

Last edited by ladyj1981; 04-19-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism

Hi Lady! I'm new to all this, since January, have hypo/hashi's. I was on generic the 1st couple months, got a new endo and he switched me to Synthroid. From what I've read you should stay with the same brand, and even with one brand pharmacies may substitute manufacturers, so that is not good. Some people do fine with generics, but I feel better with a brand name. You need to check your label each time and make sure its the same manufacturer, if not take it back. I think as far as "effectiveness" its really about keeping the same drug in your system, the problem comes when you get a variety of suppliers in the mix.
How long have you been on meds? It sounds like you have a lot going on with other issues? Diabetes is a top symptom/outcome from thryoidism. That part may get more normal over time. My dad is diabetic and just started Synthroid, 84! ( I had him ckd!) His suger is getting more stable now! it was all over the place. Depression, blood pressure etc are all related sometimes. You may not need all those other meds, if your thyroid was to blame all the time!!!??? They in themselves have horrid side effects. Are you seeing a good endo? what are your recent levels, tsh t3'4's have they done anitbody testing???? Get your labs and lets all take a look? Oh, insomnia!? I had horrid insomnia for about 20yrs!, I'm almost 52, and this is the first time I've not needed a drug to sleep since I got on thyroid meds!!!
Hysterectomy

Last edited by kindspirit; 04-19-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

ladyj1981 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism

Thanks I plan to follow up with my doctor and see if she will refer me to an endocrinologist to have more tests ran. I know my results come back normal but I don't feel normal maybe there is something that is not showing up in the standard blood work.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
(female)

topcat122 HB User
Smile Re: Hypothyroidism

I also only cat knap and don;t sleep well also trying to see what foods to eat as new to all this.

Closed Thread