It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Bad day .. what to do?

Since this Hashi's nightmare I have struggled with what to do when swinging high to low and the reactions to meds - today blood pressure high 150/90 and pulse rate low (58). Temp barely above 97. I have read that this could be hypo symptom, but I also have hyper swings. To take the cytomel or not I guess is the question. I took my morning dose, but have not felt well today at all and blood pressure is not budging from that level. I have got to make it to summer to have thyroid removed ( I hope ) and am struggling with meds. Can't take off from work now. T4 combos are real hard, but the cytomel seems not to zap me so hard. I also have TSI antibodies (Grave's) but dr. suspects from Hashi's flares to hyper. I am now gaining weight and have that cold, damp, miserable feeling with cold hands and feet. I am also on 1mg of methylprednisilone.

I could take a beta blocker (prescribed as needed) but heart rate low. I am so sick of this. Any suggestions? Or similar experiences?
Mattie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Re: Bad day .. what to do?

Things that have helped me with my overactive thyroid, is regular exercise..cardio especially, this has been the BIGGEST HELP ,watching my diet, limited sugar, low salt, no iodine, and especially no dairy...as too high of calcium seems to give me a goiter...reducing stress IS CRUCIAL! I have had graves and hashi's after my kids were born. It has been under control for almost 10 years, but I still have issues with a goiter, flare ups, tremors and a high heart rate. All of the same symptoms come up..I just have to manage them...talk to your Dr..see what you are able to do exercise wise and make changes with that and your diet...and with proper meds..you CAN get it under control so at least you can live more normally! Good Luck and God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I really wish we could learn to manage it without surgery. I have been given no guarantees that it would eliminate all my issues. Just want to feel normal, whatever that is, it has been so long. Will try advice, I know sugar is the enemy, I can always tell when I have overdone. In fact today, I am sorta of low carbing and eating fresh veggies and some fresh strawberries my husband brought in. Kids are away at school and both of us have become very inconsistent on healthy eating. Think I will go try the old treadmill for about 15 minutes.
Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Mattie,

I wonder if you could be getting some withdrawal from the beta blocker. I have a standing order too & find it tricky taking it as needed without running into withdrawal.

What about a light diuretic to lower your b/p? It doesn't have withdrawal & works on both the diastolic & systolic. I take HCTZ & all you would need is 12.5mg. You would have to check to make sure it doesn't interact with your other meds.

Increasing your fluid intake would give you a light diuretic effect. It is important to sip any kind of fluid slowly over a period of time so that you don't increase the blood volume suddenly which would increase your b/p. I sip a 16oz mug of water over about an 1-1/2hrs before meals. Watch the salt/sodium intake as well. Fam

Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I too have been reading up on what forms of exercise are best for thyroid sufferers. You can look it up on the net. I think Mary Shommon also gives advice/ideas on exercise and diet etc. I have found her articles informative. You can check that out on the net too.

I bought an indoor mini trampoline and i do some indoor exercise on that. I try to do it morning and night, just a little bit, then build up a bit more. I guess every bit helps.

I'm too new to all of this to know what is what just yet eg: when i'm hyper or hypo. I don't even know which meds are doing what, as my doctor has started me on a lower dosage for my Hashi's and he'll work it up according to my new test results. Then i'm taking cortisol for my adrenals too, so i'm not entirely sure what is making me feel a little better right now, whether it's the thyroid meds or the cortisol.

mattie75 - do you have a blood pressure monitor which also gives a reading of your pulse? To think i thought it would be something as simple as taking a tablet and i would feel great. Never realised how much i was in for and its only been one week since i started meds. To think i've got a life time to go!!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The only thing that has worked for my family to stabilize the fluxes is surgical removal of half or all the thyroid and then medicate. It may or may not work for you. It comes down to how much of this cycling can you take.

There are short acting non-retaining beta's you can take. I take pindolol. It is out of your system in 7 hours for the most part. So you take it when you wake up and at 2 pm. By bed time you are good to go and do not have to worry about being too depressed on the HR and BP front. I wish there was a single magic pill we could take and fix everything.. *sighs and thinks a happy thought briefly* Well back to reality.

MG

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I do have a blood pressure monitor and it is all over the place based on how I feel. Pulse rate this weekend in the 50's felt like, well awful. Blood pressure seems to be higher when I am hypo and lower when my meds are working like they are supposed to. I am leaning more toward surgery and have an appointment with a head and neck surgeon on May 15. He is a little far from home and I was hoping to stay closer. I know that this group is good though, they did my middle ear replacement about a year ago.
Mattie

Closed Thread