It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Thyroidectomy Coming Up Input Please

Sounds like a keeper. Think she would come to TN?
Nah! Just kidding. I like my guy.

He has had no permanent issues with any of his patients. A few had parthyroid fluxing issues that took a few months to a year to settle out, but this is very common in AI patients or patients that get a parathyroid nicked. So it sounds like you have a keeper. Now if she optimally treats her thyroid patients afterward you have a true angel.

MG

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

KCMY-Very interesting! I have heard very good things in general about Overlake. It does sound like you have found someone very good. It is nice to know that there is a nationally acclaimed ent at Overlake! You are right , we are lucky in this area to have access to such great docs. I live out a little so it is about an hour drive in , on a good day, but still that is ok.
Thanks for letting me know about her. It would allow me to get a second opinion. You were right to check out two doctors! That really is the best way.I hadn't thought of that because I just thought the dr. at poly was so good. But, now that I know there is another really great doctor, I think I should check her out as well.
What the dr. said about only one calcium problem and no laryngeal nerve damage was great to hear. That must be a huge relief to you! Did it lighten your anxiety to meet with her and know who will be performing the surgery? At least you can be so thankful that you will be in such good hands for your surgery AND the dr. sounds very considerate.

Last edited by osteoblast; 04-23-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Shasta,
I was just checking in with you, since your surgery is coming up on the 28th. Let us know how you are doing? Best wishes

Kerri

Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #19
(female)

shastaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmynatt View Post
Shasta,
I was just checking in with you, since your surgery is coming up on the 28th. Let us know how you are doing? Best wishes

Kerri

Thank you so much for your concern!

I am getting very nervous! I do not like being put under it scares me.I am also afraid of what they might find in there.I am also worried about what my life will be like without my thyroid, will I gain weight,will I be more depressed,
YIKES!! bet you are sorry you asked.. lol

Thank you again
shasta (aka Lynda)

Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: Thyroidectomy Coming Up Input Please

I have been watching this thread with lots of interest. I am scheduled for surgery on May 8th. I wishthe best for you and will be anxious to hear how your surgery goes. I too am really anxious...I get to meet with my endo and the surgeon on Tuesday so I am hoping that will help calm me down once I hear exactly what the details are!!

Best of luck..
rhonda

Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #21
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Rhonda,
Welcome. I am getting prepared for mine on the 6th. I feel comfortable with my surgeon. I am just still so scared of the surgery. The post op nausea and vomiting is really bothering me. I do not want to be sick after this surgery. My doctor said the pain is mild to moderate(this coming form her pervious patients).

Tell me about your surgery will it be a TT or a PT?

Kerri

Old 04-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastaw View Post
Thank you so much for your concern!

I am getting very nervous! I do not like being put under it scares me.I am also afraid of what they might find in there.I am also worried about what my life will be like without my thyroid, will I gain weight,will I be more depressed,
YIKES!! bet you are sorry you asked.. lol

Thank you again
shasta (aka Lynda)

Lynda,
You are going to do great! I know the 28th is almost here and you are going to do great in surgery and heal fast! Please keep us up to date on your recovery and how the suregry went. My thoughts are with you.

Hugs-
Kerri

Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #23
(female)

shastaw HB User
Talking Re: Thyroidectomy Coming Up Input Please

Quote:
Lynda,
You are going to do great! I know the 28th is almost here and you are going to do great in surgery and heal fast! Please keep us up to date on your recovery and how the suregry went. My thoughts are with you.

Hugs-
Kerri

THANK YOU so much for your kind words and concern. I know I am being a bit of a baby I am sur things will be fine.

Hugs back

Lynda

Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
(female)

RMB HB User

Quote:
Rhonda,
Welcome. I am getting prepared for mine on the 6th. I feel comfortable with my surgeon. I am just still so scared of the surgery. The post op nausea and vomiting is really bothering me. I do not want to be sick after this surgery. My doctor said the pain is mild to moderate(this coming form her pervious patients).

Tell me about your surgery will it be a TT or a PT?

Kerri
Thanks for the welcome! I meet with my endocrinologist and my surgeon on Tuesday so I should have more answers...hopefully enough answers to calm my nerves. If I understood right, my surgery will be a PT...the right side of my thyroid is swollen with nodules that are hot. The biopsy results came back indeterminable...so I agreed with my endo that it would be best to move forward with surgery. I am hoping for the best...clean tissue, so I have only half removed and that my thyroid will continue to function on it's own.

Our surgeries are very close together...yours on the 6th and mine on the 8th. We certainly will have notes to compare...I too am really nervouse about being sick after the surgery...I have never had general anesthesia so I have no idea how I will react. I just get sweaty and shaky just thinking about it! (Doesn't help with symptoms of being hyperT ) I am hoping that I will feel like a million bucks after I recover from surgery...that should be the positive side of all the worrying!

Have you started taking SSKI for your surgery? I started mine on Tuesday. The doctor wanted me to start taking it 7 days before my appointment on the 29th. I don't much like it...but I guess it is nesessary!

Rhonda

Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Rhonda,
I am like you. Everytime I start to think about the surgery...I get sick!! Your right it does not help with my hyper either. What is SSKI? I am not taking it.

Thanks-
Kerri

Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
(female)

RMB HB User

Quote:
Rhonda,
I am like you. Everytime I start to think about the surgery...I get sick!! Your right it does not help with my hyper either. What is SSKI? I am not taking it.

Thanks-
Kerri
SSKI is potassium iodine. From what I have read it is to help make the thyroid less vascular (sp?)...and prepare it for surgery. I was thinking it would slow the thyroid down...but I think it is just making me feel all the crazier. I take it 3 times a day diluted in water...and it tastes awful. Consider yourself lucky not to have to take it!!

Rhonda

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Quote:
THANK YOU so much for your kind words and concern. I know I am being a bit of a baby I am sur things will be fine.

Hugs back

Lynda
Lynda,
I hope your surgery went well and you are doing fine! Let's me know how you are and how it went. Healing hugs....

Kerri

Last edited by kcmynatt; 04-29-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Pushed reply to soon

Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #28
(female)

shastaw HB User

Quote:
Lynda,
I hope your surgery went well and you are doing fine! Let's me know how you are and how it went. Healing hugs....

Kerri
Thank you,

It went well he took the right lobe and half of the left. Not to much pain i am at home being spoiled by my husband.

Thank you again

Lynda

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #29
(female)

kcmynatt HB User

Quote:
Thank you,

It went well he took the right lobe and half of the left. Not to much pain i am at home being spoiled by my husband.

Thank you again

Lynda

That is great to hear! So how did the surgery go from pre op to recovery (that you are doing now)? I hope you are still be pampered by dear hubby. Mine hubby is trying to keep me from falling apart.

This surgery is just doing a number on me. I stay upset and sick to my stomach worried about it.

Any himts to help with the surgery?

Thanks-
Kerri

Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #30
(female)

shastaw HB User

Quote:
That is great to hear! So how did the surgery go from pre op to recovery (that you are doing now)? I hope you are still be pampered by dear hubby. Mine hubby is trying to keep me from falling apart.

This surgery is just doing a number on me. I stay upset and sick to my stomach worried about it.

Any himts to help with the surgery?

Thanks-
Kerri

I was a wreck I was so scared,but everything went fine.I am in a bit of pain nothing to bad though.

You will be fine.

Good luck
Lynda

Closed Thread