It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

annola88 HB User
T3 lab is low; can synthroid (generic) alone cure it?

Hi, I'm new. I've been on generic synthroid (levothyroxine) for 5 days. Evidently I've been "subclinical" for a few years, but in the last 4 months have been progressing rapidly in terms of my hypo symptomology.

Feb '07:
TSH: 5.97 (I don't have the ranges)
FT4 1.1
T3: 91

Mar 07:
TSH: 2.7
FT4: .9
T3: 94

Mar 08:
TSH: 5.48
FT4: 1.4
(T3: ?)

April 08:
TSH: 2.75
FT4: 1.1
T3: 87

I am now taking levothyroxine at 50 mcg and am not sure if I'm feeling better. I wasn't having a lot of symptoms until the last two weeks, though I did suffer from cold, thought I hated my life and my husband (whom I love!), etc. But I was also dieting strenuously and thought that that was affecting my mood. (Since October I have lost 35 lbs intentionally. I understand that dieting could have exacerbated my hypothyroidism and precipitated more severe symptoms.)
Since going on levothyroxine I have felt nausea, and continued to feel a deep, cellular-level fatigue (which I assume is the hypo), though my mood is somewhat better. But I have suffered in the past from anxiety disorder and my stress level is through the roof, so I have gone back on celexa, and am taking xanax whenever I feel the anxiety symptoms. However, these and the hypo symptoms seem similar, which further worries me (of course!).

Long story, my apologies. My question again: with my T3 at the bottom of the normal range, can levothyroxine alone (especially at 50) right the imbalance? Should I go up to 75mcg since I still feel the terrible fatigue and feeling that death is on my doorstep (thankfully, that feeling comes and goes)? My doctor prescribed extra levothyroxine so that, if I want to I could raise the dosage to 75. (She didn't say that that was why she gave me extra; but in general she trusts me and lets me play a significant role in determining the health care and tests I get.)

Any responses? Thank you all for the time and energy you put in here. I have been reading your posts and am impressed at your knowledge, generosity, patience, and fortitude.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: T3 lab is low; can synthroid (generic) alone cure it?

LevoT alone, in the optimal dosage, can raise T3 -- as long as the body's conversion process hasn't gone haywire. Sometimes, lack of enough T4 over years or decades of time can do that.

Your TSH in April is still much too high to be optimal. Is that when you started taking 50 mcgs? All you can do is keep check on it every 3 months to see whether your FT4 and FT3 are steadily rising. The dose should be raised until those levels are within the upper part of their ranges and your symptoms have improved.

Expect to feel worse before you feel completely better. Each dose increase can be a shock to the body. If the increase isn't the optimal amount, the body will eventually demand more hormone until it gets what it needs. That often produces worsening of symptoms for a time, or even causes new ones.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

annola88 HB User

Thank you so much, Midwest, your posts have been so impressive (I've scoured this board for info and it's been really helpful).

Yes, with regard to my TSH of 2.75 in April; hadn't yet been on levoT yet. I think my doctor has been going by the old ranges, but she recognized that there has been a lot of fluctuation and this year decided to medicate. She's a DO and very open to what I think, which is why she gave me the extra levoT, I expect; in case I wanted to go up.

I have only been on levoT for 6 days (5 days on 50 mcg), but yesterday I went up to 75 mcg and my god, it was like turning on a lightswitch. I'm not symptom-free, but I suddenly felt like myself again, not some dying alien. Amazing.

I'm hoping the nausea I've felt on and off is a side-effect and will go away; if I switch to Synthroid instead of the generic, I suppose I may have some side-effects adjusting to that brand after my generic?

Again, thanks so much for your response.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on midwest.

You do need to get the ranges on your Ft4 and T3. Also push for an Ft3 to be run. The accuracy of T3 results is questionable. Sometimes the balance between T4 adn t3 levels can be off in these cases you need to look more deeply into the issue. If T3 levels are significantly lower than T4 levels it can be adrenal/pituitary dysfunction or poor conversion of T4 to reverse T3 versus the needed active T3 component. When T3 is significantly higher than T4 levels.. you are looking at other issues. You look like a low T3er. But how low is the question. Ranges will help us help.

MG

Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

annola88 HB User

Thanks, mkgbrook. I won't be getting new bloodwork until the end of May, since I've only just started the levoT. As I said, I'm feeling a lot better since upping to 75 mcg.

So when I go in I should ask to have run:
Free T3 -- anything else?

My antibodies are normal, BTW.

You guys are rich in karmic points, you should know! Thank you so much, once again.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Basic profile that can be used to tell you what is up?
TSH, FT4, Ft3, T3, T4, T3 Uptake.

In addition hypoT can cause some side issues that should be checked at least once and followed up as necessary in my opinion.
vit B12, vit D, Ferritin

if any of these are out of whack they will amplify your hypoT symptoms. You can look at my latest post as well. It may have a lot of information that can be helpful to you.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-21-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Closed Thread