It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

Raynie HB User
symptoms after optimized

So, I went for my first TSH blood test 6 wks after being diagnosed and I was sure that whatever it said my doc would need to bump me up from 25 to 50mcg (Synthroid) because I still have symptoms. To my surprise, it went from 4.3 to .79. So based on that she didn't up my dose, which I agree, it probably would throw me into hyper. She said I was in very early Thyroid disease.

Problem is, I still keep getting these weird random muscle cramps, sore muscles in the evenings and stiff, cold fingers. These things arn't too painful, ....disturbing is more like it. Shouldn't these go away though since i'm optimized? Or could it still take more time for symptoms to go away?.....Or is this probably going to remain since my TSH can't go any lower?

(I was tested for RA and Lupus, I have niether, and doc said I didn't have fibromyalgia).

Last edited by Raynie; 04-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: symptoms after optimized

Hi Raynie! Did they test your thyroid antibodies? You could have hashimoto's.? I have that and my levels just dropped to .12 from 7.66. I'm having the cold finger tips, constant throat clearing, etc etc. With hashi's you can "flucuate" hypo to hyper.
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I respectfully will tell you that there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades that you can be optimized after 6 weeks. You aren't even taking a real "dose". Fifty mcgs is considered the lowest therapeutic dose of T4, and anything less can actually cause your thyroid hormones to become lower than they already were before treatment. That's because 25 mcgs can have the effect of only lowering TSH without raising the FTs at all. If TSH is lowered by a non-dose, the thyroid gland receives less stimulation to produce its own hormone. The reduced output from the gland isn't compensated by the piddly 25 mcgs, so the result is a greater deficit than you had.

It doesn't appear that your free Ts were even tested! I would bet they are no higher - and may even be lower - than they were before treatment.

I don't know everything, but based on what I do know, I wouldn't accept this kind of treatment. The chances of improving are next to none.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

Raynie HB User

Kindspirit - Yes, I have Hashi antibodies, a lot of them.

Midwest - My Free T4 went from 1.1 to 1.2. (.8 - 1.8) Free T3 was not tested.
I see what you mean about the 25mcg, but wouldn't 50 be too much at this point?
I have thought about taking 1-1/2 of the 25s, but I'm not sure what she'll think of me calling and asking for more. She wants me retested in 6 months and that's the length of time my prescription is written for. I do over all feel better besides what I mentioned above.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
(female)

Raynie HB User

bumped from 2nd page - any thoughts on my last post? thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Hi Raynie, I agree with Midwest, its too soon to be "optimized". They need to watch you over a long time to get regular readings. Obviously you are not "optimized" with flucuating readings. I don't expect to ever be truly normal with hashi's. Seeing how we tend to go from hyper to hypo, depending on the day who knows what reading they'll get? The proper treatment is to get you to a point of feeling pretty normal. I'd get a new doctor, or atleast another opinion. Most of us have had to go thru many doctors to get treated correctly. You know how you feel, don't accept their feelings, yours are the ones you are paying for!!!!
Hysterectomy

Old 04-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My Free T4 went from 1.1 to 1.2. (.8 - 1.8) - YOU are at 40%. This is still not optimal. You need to mostlikely be in the 60-80% regoin of normal if you are of childbearing age. At least in the 50's!

Free T3 was not tested. - This is inadequate care in my opinion. Make them test your FT3. If you are unbalanced you need to look into your adrenal function or T4 to T3 conversion. Just T4 supplementation may not be enough for you. 2 out of three patients need T3 supplements as well. Other have side orders of adrenal dysfunction and need other supplements.

I see what you mean about the 25mcg, but wouldn't 50 be too much at this point? Onll trying it will tell. I have to flux between 37.5 and 75 mcgs on a monthly basis. I am getting my blood tested every 4 weeks. It is the only way to keep up with my issues.

Look at this thread and share here. I am trying something new and hope that it helps others.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-21-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Closed Thread