It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
(female)

Ness25 HB User
Do I have a Thyroid problem? Please help me

hi there

I've been suffering from hair loss for over 5 years now and I'm 26 years of age. Ive recently been told that my problem could be genetic but I can't help to wonder if it has anything to do with my thyroid results. My doctor kept saying my results are normal but I refused to believe him so I've taken the following test, if anyone can understand them please let me know your thoughts?

Free Thyroxine: 12.9
Free T3: 4.1
TSH: 3.34 (month before 2.46)

Thyroid Antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin: 22
Anty thyroid Peroxidase: 15

Do the results above appear normal to you? I went to see a Trichologist and he thinks I have an under active thyroid, but when I compared my results to my sister (who has an overactive thyroid, on meds and her endo says she is normal now) our test results are similar and she is considered okay now.

Please help me, I want to know if I should get further help with my thyroid or am I just losing my hair because of too much androgens in my body and in that case Aldactone should help me.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Do I have a Thyroid problem? Please help me

If you know the lab's reference ranges for each test, you must post them. Your results can only be accurately interpreted in the context of the ranges, and Australia's are very different from the US.

Your TSH alone, though, is enough to suggest your thyroid is indeed underactive. And the fact that you have a close family member with thyroid disease makes you much more prone to it yourself.

So at this point, I'll say your trichologist is on to something. You should follow his advice about how to get treatment for it. If your hair loss is being caused by low thyroid, fixing the thyroid deficit should fix the hair problems.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-20-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
(female)

Ness25 HB User

thanks for your reply, my ranges are as follows:

Free Thyroxine: 12.9 (8.0 - 24.0 pmol/L)
Free T3: 4.1 (2.5 - 7.2 pmol/L)
TSH: 3.34 (month before 2.46) (0.35 - 4.50 mU/L)

Thyroid Antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin: 22 (<60 u/L)
Anty thyroid Peroxidase: 15 (<60 u/L)

GPs keep saying I'm within the range considered normal so I dont understand why the trichologist would think I may have an thyroid problem? who is wrong and who is right

thanks in advance

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Look at this post, it may be of help to you:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Free Thyroxine: 12.9 (8.0 - 24.0 pmol/L) - You are at 30.6&#37; this is suboptimal and indicates as your abnormal TSH indicates.. that you are mild hypothyroid.
Free T3: 4.1 (2.5 - 7.2 pmol/L) - Here you are at 34% this is also suboptimal. you could easily be in the early onseet phase of hashimoto's thyroiditis. You do have a presence of antibodies.. you are not abnormal in level.. but they are there.
TSH: 3.34 (month before 2.46) (0.35 - 4.50 mU/L) Normal is 0.3 - 3.0. This range was changes in 2002. Your lab is out of date. If you MD is going by this range.. then they too are out of date. Look at my post I went into extreme detail there.

MG

Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You are hypothyroid because your free thyroxine and free T3 are below the midpoint of their ranges, because your TSH is higher than 2, and because you have classic hypothyroid symptoms. Even though the numbers are within the "normal" range, they aren't "normal" for you. How do we know? Because you're having those classic symptoms. If they were normal for you, you would feel perfectly fine and have a full head of hair.

Think of it this way: The lab ranges for the free Ts are representative of the entire healthy population of people who have no thyroid disease. Are you familiar with the concept of a 'bell curve' on a graph? If the entire healthy populations' "normal" numbers were to be plotted on a bell curve within the reference ranges, the high part of the bell would be in the center of the ranges... at the 50&#37; mark... and that high point would represent the vast majority of peoples' need for thyroid hormone. As the bell curve dips downward toward the lower and higher ends of the ranges, that means that there are fewer people whose thyroid needs are met at those extreme ends of the scale. Perhaps 2%, more or less, of the population feels well when their levels are at the very bottom of the ranges. Maybe the same number has need for levels at the very tops of the ranges. You can see that, even though your levels are technically within the "normal" range, the odds are high that they aren't your normal, get it?

Here's another way to think of it: You have a particular shoe size within the women's "normal" size range of 6-10, and you cannot comfortably wear any other size within that range. A small percentage of women wear a size 6, and a small percentage wear a size 10. Most fall within the center of that size range, which is why you'll see more size 8 shoes of any one style sitting on the stockroom shelves of a shoe store than you will see shoes at the upper and lower ends of the size range. More women wear size 8; more women need their thyroid hormones in the center of the range. I don't know where your feet fit, but it's likely that your levels in the 30% area aren't enough for you.

If you can get a doctor to give you a trial of thyroid hormone, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-21-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Closed Thread