It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

kassikoo HB User
Question can anyone tell me what sort of levels i could expect?

Hi can anyone tell me what sort of levels i could expect with an antibodies test and having a tsh of 2.69 i am due to go for the test kassikoo

Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: kassikoo

Antibodies are either positive or not. They depend on if you have them present and how active Hashimoto's is in you system. At a TSH of 1.5 I had TPOAb and TGAb near 300. At a TSH of 2 I had TPOAb ~1700. The key is.. do you have antibodies. How many? Well that just tells you how much your immune system hates your thyroid and how quickly it wants to kill it off.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
(female)

Zammywen HB User

MG are you saying the higher the tsh is the higher the antibodies go, If you do have them present??
Thanks Zam

Koo when do you go get your antibodies blood test done??

Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hello mg and zam first of all thankyou mg for that info i will know now what im talking about and understand some more i will keep you up to date when i grt the results and i have my antibodies done this week thanks kassi xx

Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Not necessarily. The TSH and antibodies are not directly linked.

The TSH = thyroid stimulating hormone. This is the pituitary function call to the thyroid that screams out.. HEY! I NEED MORE T4, MAKE IT NOW! The thyroid then responds by activating its production enzymes.. TPO and TG. Now the thyroid begins to produce more T4 so the TSH will decrease.

In the case of Hashimoto's something has caused your immune system to see the TPO and TG as an threat to your system. So every time the TPO and Tg are activated. TPOAb and TGAb are produced to attack and destroy the thyroid. This starts slow and can climb.. or it can be a steady long term assualt. All depends on your genetic tendancy. In my case my thyroid was in the slow state for neigh 5 years before WHAM.. my antibodies sky rocketed and things started to really fall apart. If however the MDs had caught it early and listened. Prophylactic treatment of my Hashimoto's may have saved my adrenal glands and no telling how many years of dysfunction symptoms.

ALL that an MD can tell for certian is whether or not you have antibodies present. Depending on how many you have.. the destruction of your thyroid could be complete.. just beginning.. or at its peak. Anything over 1000 is seen as BAD. When levels get this bad.. added AI side bonuses should be locked for.

MG

Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
(female)

kassikoo HB User

thankyou MG you have been such a good friend giving me information love kassikoo

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Check out this thread.. I am summarizing a bunch of info and valid links to sanctioned articles which may help in your understanding if not getting care.

MG

Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi ookissak I have had a Autoimmune Antibodies test still waiting for the results, MG is this the test that will tell us our thyroid level??

I thought it was one that tell us alot of different antibodies, like Ro antibody
La antibody, Sm antibody, Scl 70 antibody, Jo-1 antibody levels...Anti smooth muscle and a few more..

kassikoo I hope you start to feel better with your pains ...Mad Maz x

Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: can anyone tell me what sort of levels i could expect?

Hi koo How are you today I am hoping my antibodies test are back today!!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Still not bad today, I am sitting here with a real bad toothache I could cry, I hate dentist's and they are now closed....Helpppp

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have used my son's oragel as a patch until i could get to the dentist the next day before. I know they have something stronger OTC for adults... I was just too lazy to go get it. Maybe you can call your pharmacist and get a desensitizing agent to hold you til the morning. Wish I had a solution other than that.

MG

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thanks MG I have taken paracetamol its a bet better at the moment its like its coming from my gums as well. I think I am off to my bed praying that when I wake up its all gone.

I really am scared of the Dentist I have real bad panic attacks...

MG can you look at page two on here its about the antibodies test I am not to sure about it. A big thanks...Mad Maz

Koo are you OK how is your son I do hope all is fine...

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 04-29-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
(female)

effected_orchid HB User

I hope you are sleeping and all is well. If you awake and the tooth and gums are throbbing take milk and hold it in your mouth. I have done it before and it works for me. Just make sure to spit it out don't swallow. Have no idea why it works.
Kathy

Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD MAZ View Post
Hi ookissak I have had a Autoimmune Antibodies test still waiting for the results, MG is this the test that will tell us our thyroid level??

I thought it was one that tell us alot of different antibodies, like Ro antibody
La antibody, Sm antibody, Scl 70 antibody, Jo-1 antibody levels...Anti smooth muscle and a few more..

kassikoo I hope you start to feel better with your pains ...Mad Maz x
Here I go, MG's take and definition of your list:
General autoimmune antibodies are ANA - anti-smooth muscle antibody

Standard thyroid antibodies are...
TPOAb - 85 - 90% identifier for Hashimoto's thyroiditis 12.6 % of the population tested in over 20,000 patients have positive antibodies present. This could be an explaination of fibromyalgia.

TGAb - 60 % identifier for Hashimoto's thyroiditis

TSI - 75% identifier for Graves Disease

TRAb - 55 - 60 % identifier for Graves Disease

These are EXTRACTABLE NUCLEAR ANTIGENS are (SSA,SSB, RNP, Sm, Scl 70, Jo1) Screens for some of the specific antibodies you mentioned: Ro, La, RNP, Sm, Scl 70, Jo 1 are used in the following manner.

The main use for the tests you listed are is determining the presence of extractable nuclear antigen antibodies. These antibodies are a group directed at nuclear, and in the case of Jo1, cytoplasmic antigens, which have particular associations with various connective tissue disorders. And if you test positive for ENA antibodies you most likely will be positive for ANA antibodies as well.

Antibodies to Sm are found in a small percentage of patients with SLE(Systemic Lupus Erythematosus), but not all. These antibodies are highly specific for this disease.

Antibodies to SSA (Ro) and SSB (La) are the main identifiers and found in cases of Sjogren's syndrome, SLE, and congenital heart block. Note since there are three targeted conditions.. being positive in them with out being positive in others just indicates you may have one of these conditions.

Antibodies to RNP are seen in cases of mixed connective tissue disease (overlapping features of SLE, systemic sclerosis; and polymyositis) but may be associated with other connective tissue diseases such as SLE. They are using such a test and a few of the others to prove Lupus. It is part of a thorough fishing expedition to lump you as Lupi.

Okay.. two more. Antibodies to Scl-70 are found in 20 - 40% of patients with diffuse scleroderma and up to 20% of patients with limited scleroderma. These antibodies may be associated with a more severe disease course. Scleroderma aka systemic sclerosis is defined as a chronic connective tissue disease. It is also generally classified as one of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Once again they are fishing. Aren't you glad they are?

Last one, whew! Antibodies to Jo-1 are present in 25% of patients with myositis. This group tends to have associated interstitial lung disease. These antibodies are rarely seen in other autoimmune conditions. SO if you have this they will be able to classify you with mypsitis.

Is that what you wanted to know?

MG

Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #15
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi MG thankyou for that information and taking the time to do it that sounds good to me i personaly need somethink to go on when i get my results as i dont know what to expect of them how they will read and so on so im hopeing i can match somethink up from this, im probably not ready for what my GP will throw at me and im trying to avoid coming out of there thinking hmmmmm! what did he mean or him pushing me off with oh things are normal just to save them doing any further tests, i am scared to ring and ask if my results are back incase they just say its nomal what is normal? (not me lol!) thanks again hun kassikoo

Closed Thread