It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

blondie899 HB User
Hypothyroidism problems

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 3 months ago.I was taking 25 mcg of Levothyroxine for about 3 months, everything was fine except for the fact that my face,chest and back started breaking out in large amounts of acne.So my doctor switched me over to 30 mg of armour and I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks.Well with the armour I have been so hungry and I have gained 5 pounds and my hair is falling out quite a bit but my acne is starting to clear up.I don't know if I should switch to something else or just stay on the armour.Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
(female)

dhfini HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism problems

I am so glad that I am not alone!! I started taking the L. (generic Synth) since june and have never so much as had a pimple my whole teenage life, and then BAM at 29 and now 30 I am covered head to toe (literally) in huge cystic acne! Why don't they tell us of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

blondie899 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfini View Post
I am so glad that I am not alone!! I started taking the L. (generic Synth) since june and have never so much as had a pimple my whole teenage life, and then BAM at 29 and now 30 I am covered head to toe (literally) in huge cystic acne! Why don't they tell us of this?
I know it would have been nice to be warned first.I know the reason why I have been breaking out in acne is because thyroid medicines have large amounts of Iodine in them and Iodine breaks me out in acne really bad.It's really depressing espically since im trying to get started in a career involving skin care.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
(female)

dhfini HB User

It's really depressing espically since im trying to get started in a career involving skin care.[/QUOTE]

Oh no! what a way to start a new career~! I don't know what to do, the drs dont' seem to care and I wouldn't either if they didn't hurt so bad. I have never seen acne like this before, they are like volcanos, red and ouchy.

I don't want to start yet another med to counter act the problem if I can just switch, do you think there is something out there that will work better?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I've had the same problem. I've always suffered from cystic acne on my chin, but I had it pretty much under control until I started taking Synthroid. I know I break out from sodium chloride in cosmetics, but I didn't know if it was the iodine or my hormones just being out of control. I recently just switched from Levothyroxin to Synthroid because the Levo was making me feel worse than before I started on meds, but I wonder if I should ask about Armour.

Closed Thread