It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

Stefarina HB User
Thyroid guru's out there...Question about my T3, total results

I was reviewing some of my copies of previous lab work. This is what it says:

T-3, total 201 HIGH ( range 60-181 ng/dL)

T-3 uptake 31 (22-35%)

T-4, total 9.5 (4.5-12.5 mcg/dL)

Free T-4 2.9 (1.4-3.8)

TSH 2.04 (0.40-5.50) ( I know, not the updated range from 2002)

No one ever told me anything about the T-3 total being in the high range.

What would cause this and should I be concerned?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Stefarina

Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid guru's out there...Question about my T3, total results

Estrogen therapy, estrogen-based birth control, or pregnancy can elevate the total measures of T4 and/or T3. Do you take estrogen, or were you pregnant when that test was done? If so, it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Early on in my hashimoto's I would have High T3 spikes. I have Hashimoto's and adrenal insufficiency. T3 can be high due to BCs or estrogen supplements as midwest says. It can also be a sign of low cortisol and adrenal function. The key is what are your symptoms? Are you hypoT all the way.. do you have a mixture of hypo and hyper symptoms? Given your TSH I would get additional testing. Hashimoto's antibodies and a FT3 minimum.

Free T-4 2.9 (1.4-3.8) - 62.5 % Something is up for your actual T4 levels to be in the 60's and your TSH to be that high. Just my opinion of course.

MG

Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

Stefarina HB User
Smile Re: Thyroid guru's out there...Question about my T3, total results

Midwest and MG,
Thanks so much for your response. No, I was not pregnant or taking any BCP or estrogen at the time of my tests. These were done in December 2006.

I am intrigued by your recommendations, since my mother has hashimotos and recently had a thyroidectomy due to hurtle cells being found.

I haven't been diagnosed with any thyroid conditions, and am suffering currently from anemia and low ferritin and had two surgeries in the past year.

My confusion comes into play since several of my symptoms can be listed for mostly Hypo, and a few for Hyper but they are often also symptoms of my anemia and ferritin condition.

I am so tired I don't know how I am making it through each day, but somehow with caffeine, I do. Now I am also feeling aggravated that my internist didn't even mention anything out of range back then. All they ever seem to say is, " Your TSH is fine".

As many of us have found out, you MUST be an advocate for yourself and find doctors that will listen and do what you ask.

I guess I will try to find one of my doctors to test at least the tests you suggested. Any more you think I should try to get done?

Thanks again, this healthboard site is such a blessing for all of us!

Stefarina

Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well I have a feeling we are going to be welcoming you to the Hashimoto's clan. The sooner you catch it and treat it the better.

The tests you need run are TSH 3rd Gen, FT3, FT4, and TPOAb and TGAb. As soon as you said momma has Hashimoto's it all makes sense. How long after her pregnancy did the MDs catch it. Did they know of it before you were born? Hashimoto's antibodies cross the placenta and attack the developing fetus's thyroid. Thus the body has knowledge and presence of these antibodies for future reference. My son is 5 and he has them in his system.. they are not out of normal range.. but not negative either. He is tested yearly to catch it manifesting as soon as possible.

Have you had mono, a virus, or a bacterial infection that seemed to linger for a month or months? These alongside of pregnancy are the most common triggers for Hashimoto's, after puberty and menopause.

Your OB and IM should have tested you for Hashimoto's after hearing of your family history of AI thyroid disease. They dropped the ball.

Good luck and keep us posted.
MG

Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

Stefarina HB User
MKGBROOK: UPDATE Thyroid guru's out there...T3, total results

MG,
I took your advice and went to the doctor's last week. Tomorrow I will be having the following tests run per your advice ( I stretched it a bit and printed out part of your post along with my original lab results and said my mom's endocrinologist recommended this.... ) So, you have earned honorary M.D. after your name

RUNNING THESE TESTS on 5/6/08:
TSH 3rd Generation
Free T3
Free T4
TPO AB
TG AB

Hope that is all you think I need to have since the orders are written! I'll be posting results when I recieve them back!

Thanks again!
Stefarina

Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: MKGBROOK: UPDATE Thyroid guru's out there...T3, total results

That will give you a good baseline to start from. If it is your thyroid it those tests will show something off.

Good deal! You just got my MDs advice indirectly.

MG

Closed Thread