It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

runner11 HB User
Question hypothyroidism

so i am scared because i think i have a thyroid condition and i seem to have a family history of it as well. during the week i barely eat anything bc i am scared of gaining weight and exercise for 1-2 hours a day to try to counteract it. I've researched the condition and have the following symptoms: cold intolerance, dry skin, sleepiness, constipation and decreased concentration. Can anyone else help me out or tell me about their experiences?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: hypothyroidism

Hi Runner11! Becoming hypothyroid is definately not the end of the world. I have it, I got it two years ago. No one in my family has it. I was angry that I came down with it. I was always trim and then within 3 years I have gained 30 pounds. It's not all my thyroid, ha! It is me aging and not working out as much. First of all, I hope you don't have it! I truly do. But the only way to find out is to get tested. It can come on slowly and takes awhile to show up on a test. I still think I got it from living in a moldy rental house. I had bad allergies and it shot my thyroid. Here were my symptoms, thinning hair (big time), real tired, fuzzy brain, heart palpatations, weight gain, and mostly indigestion problems like acid reflex, constipation and diarrea back and forth. Everyone's symptoms may very. I was just glad that I got it diagnosed. Once you get on the medicine you can get it back in check. You can do anything in your life that you usually do as long as you take good care of yourself. It can be a nuisance. But don't be afraid. I was more angry than anything. I kept saying why me??? I still am angry about it but becoming more accepting of it. Just keep following up with it, and you will find out one way or the other. It's not the end of the world. There are plenty of us to talk to. Even Oprah Winfrey has it now.

Last edited by TEdds83; 04-20-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: hypothyroidism

Check out this post.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Also you have all the classic signs of hypoT. I am 32 now. Mine came on when I was 27.. during pregnancy. My family is thyroid autoimmune central. My mom and one aunt have Hashimoto's and Graves. I have two other Aunts with just Hashimoto's, One with just Graves. I have just Hashimoto's documented.. need to recheck for Graves. I have a second cousin and Great aunt with Graves and diabetes.. Great grandma and great great aunt with groiters and issues. On average we live to be in our 90's. Life does go on even with thyroid issues. The key is diagnosing it and treating it optimally.

Welcome to the board and we hope that we can help you.
Give your history you need a baseline set of tests run:
TSH, FT3, FT4, TPOAb and TGAb.
You should also get ferritin, vit D, and vit B12 run.

Exercising like you are and dieting.. but still gaining is going to burn out your adrenals or worse if you are hypoT. Get your thyoid checked and if necessary start medication. It will help you if you are hypoT. Good luck.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-21-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Closed Thread