It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
What is the chance of it being cancer?

Hey Folks, I have high TPO ab at 916, And a cold nodule with suspicious cells. Does this sound cancerous? It is on the right side. I also have a cold nodule on the left but was not included in fna. Endo wants to remove the right side, shoud I lose the whole thing just to be safe. I'm pretty nervous about this. Any experience? Any advice?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: What is the chance of it being cancer?

UGH! Well the chances are less than 11% depending on the type of suspicious cells. I would get a second FNA done of both nodules and then determine if removal of both is necessary. The other option is to go for a PT with a flash freeze and biopsy of the removed thyroid to determine if the second one needs to come out as well.

Have you had an uptake scan of the thyroid done? Vascular flow analysis of the thyroid? If the thyroid is dead or about dead.. i personally would tell them to hack the whole bugger out so that future FNA and cancer development is not a risk. Just my opinion. I have a single nodule on the right lower posterior side. It is a real pain.. my whole thyroid is a pain in the neck. If offered i would get mine out in a heart beat.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Did your report say what kind of cells? I just had a biopsy and sd "hurthle cells" but they are metaplasia, and not displasia. My endo wants to wait for 4 months, my nodule was solid and solitary, 1cm per report. You have a great chance its benign!!! Is this your first biopsy? for me, I'm waiting a few months to see if it grows, if it shrinks, definately not cancer.I know what you're going thru!
Hysterectomy

Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Your chances are not high for cancer, depending upon the path report, but the "suspicious" cells mean you have to take it out to know for sure. That being said, I have a feeling you will go through the same process some day with the other side, and personally, living fine without a thyroid myself, I would tell the surgeon, if it's safe, to remove the whole thing. The frozen sections tend to sometimes be wrong, and I've known people that have had to get two surgeries, because if the first side is cancerous, they must remove the entire thing---especially in your case, because you have a nodule on the other side.

My surgery was pretty easy, and I had thyroid cancer 3 years ago, and have done very well....if that helps!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hey, Ya'll, thanks for the responses. My report says "One intranuclear cytoplasmic inclusion is found. These findings are most suggestive of a benign reactive hyperplastic nodule. However, because of the hypercellularity, also within the diferential diagnosis is a neoplasm. Clinical correlation and follow up as clinically indicated is recommended." I'm not sure what this lingo means. I know my endo wants to surgically biopsy it and I am nervous about it.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesarosi View Post
Hey, Ya'll, thanks for the responses. My report says "One intranuclear cytoplasmic inclusion is found. These findings are most suggestive of a benign reactive hyperplastic nodule. However, because of the hypercellularity, also within the diferential diagnosis is a neoplasm. Clinical correlation and follow up as clinically indicated is recommended." I'm not sure what this lingo means. I know my endo wants to surgically biopsy it and I am nervous about it.
Just wondering if you went somewhere larger than Allen, Tx for this opinion? If not, I think you should. A second opinion never hurts.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

My Endo is in Dallas. I have a second opinion scheduled for next Wednesday. I also have several hot nodules on the right and left.

Last edited by Lesa45; 04-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Closed Thread