It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Son on thryoid meds for depression

I'm so ticked right now! Found out my son's been on levo. 50mcg, for some time. I had told him to get ckd for hashi's and thyroid due to my issues. Well, he's under the "VA" and they are not treating him well at all. He's been taking levo. for augmenting his depression. His levels starting were tsh: 1.42. not bad! but now:

tsh .09

T4: 0.5

It's no wonder he is so hyper! He also has horrid sweat issues! He's not getting return calls. I told him to cut back the dose, he takes 2- 25mcg's. These levels don't look good at all! Seeing his starting levels I'm inclined to think he is ok with the thyroid, still waiting on the anti bodies???
It's so frustrating to hear he's been treated with thyroid meds for depression! That's like giving them in hopes of weight loss. He's also on an anti d!

He's old enough now, 32, to take control of his health and the doctors. I've done all I can and hope he takes the reigns now? Makes me wonder how many people are given these drugs for depression? many don't have a clue what drugs they take let alone what they are for. I'm thinking he should stop the thyroid meds totally?
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Son on thryoid meds for depression

Oh this sucks. One he is just getting a TSH and T4. No T3. He should be able to request/fight for antibody testing given your Hashimoto's and the family history stick.

It might help if you write a letter stating the familial dominance of Hashimoto's and put your results in it and get your MD to sign it. Tactfully request antibody tests be run and your concern for the level of care your son is recieving. Noting that the depression may be a result of improperly treated Hashimoto's might get their bottoms in gear. Military health care negligence is a criminal offense. Yes your son is 32.. heck so am I. But some guys are used to women driving health care and home.

Good luck I am so sorry that this has occured. ARGHHH! There is a sympathetic cyber yell for you.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks MG, yes, they did the antibodies, just waiting for results. Dealing with the VA is horrid. I think a lot of his issues maybe thyroid related, but then again might be side effects from all the ad's he's been on? He's always been very "anxious", well like mom lol, and depressed. But, I think he's totally unbalanced from meds, and if he could get "clean", the we could better address the main culprit? It's so hard to understand others' symtoms when there are very addictive med's in the mix. Hope you are doing ok, this is such a learning experience!!! I'm on a mission, made a call to the sleep clinic who misdiagnosed me and "informed" them . Also a nice letter to my 1st endo, informing him about the so called "non existant nodule" and normal thyroid! it helps to know maybe our sufferings might help the next person.
Hysterectomy

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

m. m. HB User

kindspirit,
you may already know all this but it gives me the opportunity to rant on a topic that gets me a little fired up. the standard depression treatment algorithm suggests thryoid medication as an augment to depression medication in circumstances where the patient has failed to respond fully to several classes of depression medications. They also use stimulants and lithium. When it's thryoid hormone, they typically use T3 (not T4) and it's not unusual to have it dispensed in really high doses (assuming the person doesn't become hyper). It always seemed odd to me that thryoid meds would help those with so-called depression that was non-responsive to typical meds. And, that many of these people could handle mega-doses without issue. Now that I understand more about the thyroid, it makes me wonder how many of these people aren't depressed but just have in-efficient thryoids and maybe even are resistant to thryoid hormone which is why they can handle such high doses and feel free of depression there. It also makes me wonder why they wouldn't be more willing to give those who are depressed with normal thryoid levels but symptoms the option of thryoid hormone trial to see how they respond before subjecting them to a 'happy pill' that often doesn't actually help and in some situations makes the person feel worse from side-effects. I'm beginning to think that many cases of depression are due to un-diagnosed thryoid issues which is further compounded by all the misinformed doctors out there. I digress.

I hope your son manages to find his way to good health quickly. You mention his T4 was ".5". Do you have the lab range? It seems low based on what I know about T4 lab ranges.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree, Midwest with everything you said! So true, throwing thyroid meds at depressed people and not monitoring their levels is malpractice! No, I don't have all his levels. My son doesn't live near me and he only said they will be mailing him a letter. They wouldn't even talk with him! I do believe something is totally off in him, and now he's really messed up the panels for evaluation. I told him to get to a good endo now! but its a long drawn out process with the VA, just getting to speak to someone is next to impossible. With the way he's been on med's, thryoid and anti d's its going to be hard to figure out what his true readings would be? I'm wondering if he was prescribe 25mcg and on his own upped it to taking 2 at a time? Maybe he was thinking a bit more would help his depression? seems strange a doctor would give him 25mcg and say take 2, why not just a 50mcg? Hopefully he dropped the one like I told him.
Hysterectomy

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Only reason to take two 25 mgs versus the 50 mcgs is if the patient has dye allergies to the changed tablet.. but the 50s are dye free.. so.. something else is up there... Maybe it is take 25 mcgs and if still feeling cruddy take another in the afternoon. Who knows what is running about in the little mind of that MD. Ugh! I truly feel for you. Maybe your MD if they are concerned can write up or recommend care and follow up on him. Goes back to the whole letter thing. I got my Endo to write up what she felt was proper post PT follow up care and what my mom needed done. It was the only thing that got the tricare MD moving.

MG

Closed Thread