It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

ssaunders95 HB User
confused... lab work help please

So I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Feb. I was put on.25 Synthroid which has helped me alot! When I was diagnosed, I cried everyday for no reason, my bones and muscels were so stiff in painful that I couldn't sit in class for longer than an hour My elbows, kees, and feet were so dry that they were black and cracked..gross... I am 23 and was diagnosed hypo post partum.
My t4 at the time of last test- 13.9
TSH- 3.2
Aren't these levels normal?
So that means I should stay at .25 Synthroid or get off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: confused... lab work help please

Ranges are needed to tell where you are exactly. However the TSH is still hypoT and far from optimal. You need more medication. You also need to have your FT3 levels tested and Hashimoto's antibodies tests run. If this has not been done of the MD refuses these tests, you are not getting competent care and need a new MD.

Look at this post for the basics and a summary of most of the impartant information I have gathered to date. I have a solid post from a top notch MFM on hypothyroidism and pregnancy.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-22-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

ssaunders95 HB User

thanks mkg, I tried the link. It wouldn't work. I copied and pasted it. My doc hasn't is my pcp and has been since I was a child. She is also my mother doctors. My mom is hypo and her mother has Graves. I believe I will look into seeing an Endo. Or ask her more questions. I went for blood work today actually. She is going to check me for anemia but mentioned nothing of T3 or other thyroid test. She did ask how I was feeling, and I told her I feel better, besides the required 2 o clock nap, the muscle aches and pains, hair loss and moodiness. They are all improving though. She said she will examine my results but I should probably stay on the dose I am at and continue taking it, and probably will for the rest of my life. She mentioned the fact that upping my dosage before its needed could be bad on my heart.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Given your family history you need to get the antibodies tested. For your sake and that of your child/children.

You also need to get an increase in meds. Staying hypoT is just as bad on the heart as temporarily spiking hyperT. You need a thyroid savvy MD. An Endo may not be your best bet. If you go for an Endo.. get one specializing in thyroids. Diabetes gurus are great for diabetes.. a toss up for thyroids.

She is trying to scare you off an optimal medication regime in my opinion. Push her to get a thorough picture. She maybe hopeing that this is postpartum thyroiditis and all well go away when you are done breastfeeding and a year has passed. Meanwhile suffer in a mild hypoT state. Uh UH! Don't settle get all the lab work run and then we can better tell you where you need to be.

First things first, if you have been on 25 mcgs for 4 weeks get a bump to 50 mcgs. Ask her for a trial of 50 mcgs because you are still suffering from symptoms and fatigue. She should be willing to bump you to 50 mcgs. Also see about getting a referral to an ENT or other MD for a second opinion.

MG

Closed Thread