It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
Can anyone recommend a GREAT surgeon in North Dallas?

I'm apprehensive about letting anyone cut my neck. Chatting with a doctor is no proof of their mad cutting skills no matter how nice they may seem. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

MamaTex HB User
Re: Can anyone recommend a GREAT surgeon in North Dallas?

I live in the area too, but I don't know of a surgeon here. I had my subtotal thyroidectomy in Oklahoma a few years ago. My GP there sent me to that surgeon and he was very good. I have not found a doctor here to treat my thyroid issues and remaining nodules. Do you have a good doctor who understands nodules?

MamaTex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hey Mamatex, I have been in the area for about a year. No, I wouldn't recommend the dr I went to. I don't think she was thorough in her follow up after all my tests were complete. I have Hot and cold nodules and suspicious fna findings. She probably thought she should just pass me on to a surgeon. I asked her how my antibodies were and she gave a quick "They're OK." In reality they are 916! After I got home I had a funny feeling i should get copies af all my tests. I'm glad I did. Next week I will see Shelby Holt. I'll let you know how it goes. If you find anyone would you please pass it on to me? Let me ask you this... Do your remaining nodules cause you any trouble? Do you wish you had had the whole thing removed? Did you have trouble stabilizing your meds after surgery? Geeez, that's a lot of questions!

Last edited by Lesa45; 04-23-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

MamaTex HB User

Thanks for the info. I live in Frisco. I will ask around in the next few days and see if anyone knows any good surgeons.
My 5 remaining small nodules do not give me any trouble. The largest one is 6mm. The one removed with surgery was 3cm. I just have to get an ultrasound every 6 months. I am glad they did not remove my whole thyroid. Even if they have to remove the rest of it later. I am still trying to get my meds where they need to be. I am okay, but I need to find a local doctor. I have tried two in the area. One in Dallas(Dorfman)and one in Plano(Tigges. Let's just say they were not the right ones for my situation.
I am sure you are frustrated, but there are some really good surgeons in the Dallas area. I will let you know if I can find out some names for you. Hang in there!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

susied1 HB User

Hi, my daughter is in the same boat as you. I've been searching internet, friends, it's just not a common surgery.

She just went to an endocronologist today with a large goiter, the lady scanned it, took blood tests, and told her it would most likely have to be surgically removed so be prepared. They have their own surgeon that they recommend, but we know absolutely nothing about him other than his name. The doctor told my daughter that if she came up with her OWN surgeon to have his name by next week when she goes back for her follow up.

I don't even know what kind to look for, ENT? or General surgeon? You sure want someone who does these on a regular basis.

I'm not looking forward to her having her neck cut on either. I thought maybe there was a way to do it laproscopically now days they do nearly everything that way.

Well, good luck to you and if I hear anything positive, I'll post it.

Thanks to anyone else who has information.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
(female)

MamaTex HB User

If it helps any, the surgeon I had in Oklahoma specialized in Breast Cancer surgery and Thyroid surgery. He was listed as a General Surgeon. Surely there is one in the Metroplex. I have a friend at church who knows someone in Plano that has had thyroid surgery recently. I will call her tomorrow and see if she can find out who the doctor is...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You can call various practices and ask for statistic on ENTs and complication rates and such for surgery. My son, husband, and I use an ENT for our sinus and throat woes. He has performed two surgeries on me and one on my son and is about to cut holes in my hubby. He is used by people in 4 states and is well known. Ask your GPs and OBs and such. See who they come up with and know. Then call and arrange consult with the MD. My ENT has one day set aside for thyroid cases and 2 for children one for surgery.. etc. He has a low complication rate. Never had paralyzed vocals and on average his patients have a 1 night stay. This alone speaks highly of him.

Call, ask around and meet as many as you can. You want a surgeon.. be they ENT or general that is familiar and current on TT techniques.
MG

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
(female)

MamaTex HB User

Lesarosi,

I am still asking around for names of Doctors in the area. I am waiting on a couple of call backs.

MamaTex

Old 04-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Thanks for checking, I appreciate it. I have an appointment on 4/30 (Wed) with a surgeon. I guess we'll see how it goes . I'm pretty nervous and I'm normally not too freaked out about medical stuff. I'm also worried about post -op care and getting my levels normal afterward. I've read so many stories of frustration on here. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
(female)

MamaTex HB User

Okay,
Here are some names:

Richard Eller, M.D.
General Surgeon
Plano, Tx

Neelish Mehendale
Otolaryngology
Frisco, Tx

Brice Vanderpool
General Surgery
Dallas/Baylor

I was told they are all good doctors.
Also, all surgeons are not shy about letting you know about their surgery history.
You will be able to "pick up" on what is important to your particular situation. Let us all know how it goes. We will be thinking about you.
MamaTex

Last edited by moderator2; 04-27-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: Can anyone recommend a GREAT surgeon in North Dallas?

Good luck to you with your appointment this week. Please share what you find out from the surgeon. I also have an appoinment with my endo and a surgeon on Tuesday. I am hoping it goes well. The more information we share, the better prepared (hopefully) we will be!

Rhonda

Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Good luck and keep us posted! I'm relieved to start some kind of path to feeling better but I'm scared of the ups and downs. What seem to be your issues?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #13
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Than ks again Mamatex, Your time and effort are appreciated!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
(female)

susied1 HB User

My daughter was recommended to go to a doctor in Denton at Denton Regional. Her name is Caroline Garner. I have'nt been able to find any information on her or anyone who has used/heard of her.

If anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate any information.

The endocronologist she went to last week recommended an ENT/plastic named Gonzales out of Baylor. (Grapevine, I believe) I don't know anything about him either.

It's just scary entrusting a doctor to such sensitive areas of the body. I'm really concerned.

Thanks for all y'alls information.

Closed Thread